Seminars

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I think it would be worthwhile to have a seminar on "Epic Campaigns," as I've seen a lot of people here talking about how much they enjoy those, but how hard it is to do.

The things required of a massive, long term (as in years of real time) campaign are different than those required of a one shot or short term games, and are, I think, incredibly valuable.

If that seems too narrow a topic (which I doubt, as it is massive in scope), it could be blended with discussion of types of campaigns in general, and how to link multiple adventures together with solid plot development, recurring villains, character flaws, and world events.

A good analogy for those new to the concept of the epic game is a television series.

A single "game" is like a single episode of a TV series. It stands alone with its own little plot, but it's really not enough to change the world. If the characters are well written and the story engaging, it will leave you wanting more, because things just don't seem finished.

A campaign is like a whole season of episodes, each interconnected to allow long term progress towards an ultimate goal, while achieving smaller victories along the way pointing towards the final showdown. Plots introduced early have time to simmer and come to a boil at their leisure, and a good product will leave you satisfied, ready for whatever may be next.

An epic campaign is the entire run of a successful show, over many seasons. It has many major goals, and several distinct landmark events that shaped all things to come thereafter. Moments from the past can spring up any time, and the character's physical, mental, and emotional development follows a complete arc, from beginner to master, Elements are powerful by themselves, but combined it is something far greater than the sum of its parts. At the termination, the final conclusion, there should be a feeling of completion, a feeling that however incredible the experience was, it has served its purpose, and earned its retirement. One can happily let it rest, and return to reruns over the years to relive favorite moments.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I would love to have a fan feedback seminar. As a writer, I think it is important for the fans to say what they would like to see and have it presented in a way that would allow us to hear them in an open forum.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

Careful...I'll kill you with my mind.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Glad to see I wasn't too off base with the epic-gaming suggestion.

I'd be happy to help out in the presentation of an epic seminar, if you guys want. Obviously it would be rockin' to get it run by people like Kevin, Thom, and Julius, or if we could abduct Erick I seem to recall him having some excellent things to say on this topic... but if the MA are presenting it player to player, count me in. It's one of my favorite role-playing topics.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

I'll touch upon the 'Epic' Campaign with the Seminar I will be in, Tips on GMing. I've been thinking about this since I've been told I would be on it, and alot of things have come to my mind. So much in fact, that I hope I don't monopolize the entire time myself (I don't plan to).
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
The Galactus Kid

yo girl...i hope. :shock:

The Galactus Kid

to Ninja bunny: Look out. it looks like your lady has fallen for my dashing freelancer wiles.

to Shintenshi: Yo gurl.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Galactus Kid

hahahaha

Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Perhaps a seminar on what it's like to write for Palladium, including a start to finish look at the production of a book (from first concepts to finished product on the shelf). I think it could dispel some of the false mystique that shrouds the writing process and discourages many from even trying.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
The Galactus Kid

good idea warwolf.

Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Warwolf wrote:Perhaps a seminar on what it's like to write for Palladium...

It's lonely. So very, very lonely...

Prepare to not see your loved ones for weeks at a time.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.

Return to “Palladium Open House”