Weird Contest -- years of memories

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Weird Contest -- years of memories

Unread post by Kevin »

Weird Contest idea

A month ago, londonbaz, a regular among Palladium’s online community, suggested that Palladium hold some kind of raffle in which one or two lucky fans could win having their name appear in a Palladium title as a significant character. He had seen a similar thing done at an auction where the highest bidder would have his name appear as a character in a novel. I had also seen a similar thing at an auction at a sci-fi convention (or was it Dragon*Con?).

Londonbaz suggested that, personally, he would love such an opportunity and said he’d buy at least 2-3 himself if the price were $15 or less.

Of course, this got me thinking. Not only about how to do this, but how we could make it special.

My solution will soon be posted on the Palladium boards today (and is repeated at the end of this Murmur) -- I hope you like it.

1) I would use the awesome original illustration created by Freddie E. Williams II and use it as the item purchased. I may even put your number on the prints so you know what you’re getting (yeah, more work for me, but what the heck). This art is perfect, because it shows ordinary people in the crowd and me as a Cyber-Knight (i.e., representing being transformed into a fictional Palladium character – or at least that’s my new interpretation in this context). Plust the art has very sentimental meaning for me, because it was presented to me by Subjugator as a gift at the 2006 Palladium Open House to show me that Palladium fans were behind Palladium Books and won't let us die without a valiant fight! Amen. That artwork and the $50 print signed by EVERYONE in attendance (it's hanging on a wall at home), have helped inspire me to keep pressing forward through some rough and scary times.

2) I would make it so that not one, but 40 people would win the rare and fun opportunity to get their name turned into a significant character in an up coming book. That’s 10 people every month till the end of the year. We certainly have enough books in the works to accomplish this feat, and it would be my pleasure to do so. Note that most names/characters will probably appear in books coming early 2007.

I’ll probably send the winners a copy of the book (signed by me and the crew) when it comes out, too.

3) The character with YOUR name will not be Danny Nobody mentioned in paragraph five of page 92, but a “significant” character with at least Quick Stats, if not full stats. Now, he or she may be a villain, monster, alien or other nasty, but he’ll bear your name and you'll be immortalized in print. A few might even become reoccurring or ongoing characters, but no promises.

Why do it?

One reason is raise more money to cover Palladium's operating expenses and get new product to market. Which in turn, makes Palladium stronger.

Another is because it’s FUN, awesome, memorable and a lasting tribute to some of YOU who have helped keep Palladium alive! When I was younger and really into comic books or the Amber series of novels, I would have jumped at the chance to be a character in a Marvel comic book or one of the Amber books. Heck, I’ve already made pals like Roger and Randi Cartier characters in Rifts® Canada, but now it’s your chance. And its something that should last for years and years!

Thanks for the great idea londonbaz! I hope you guys and gals see this as a fun and rare opportunity too.

This is what I mean by wanting to bringing fun and excitement back to role-playing games on every level. Sure we plan to continue to produce one pulse-pounding book after another, but we want to do all kinds of things that make people laugh, talk and be excited about Palladium Books and RPGs. I hope ideas such as this one helps to do that.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
President, Writer, Artist, Fan Boy and Gamer Geek just like you!

Read on for the details on this offer, or check out the picture and order info elsewhere on the Palladium website.

You can become a Palladium Character

What would you pay to become a character in a Palladium game?

Your name immortalized as a significant character in Rifts®, or Palladium Fantasy RPG®, or Heroes Unlimited is worth how much? And remember, the majority of Palladium’s products, including sourcebooks, stay in print for 10-20 years! Sometimes longer.
So, what would you pay? Fifty dollars? One hundred? Two hundred dollars? More?

How about ten dollars?

Well, $10 gives YOU a chance to become part of the “official” Palladium Megaverse® as a character in a Palladium sourcebook. And not just some schmoe mentioned in a body of text, but a significant character (hero, villain or NPC)!
That’s right, EVERY TIME you order a copy of this new, black and white Heroes of the Megaverse® print ($10 +shipping and handling), your name gets entered into a monthly drawing in which TEN (10) fans will be randomly selected EVERY MONTH for the next four months (September, October, November and December, 2006) to become an official character in the Palladium Megaverse®.

Tips on becoming a published character

- Your best chances to win are in September and October. Why? You’ll be among the first and fewest people trying to become immortalized in print, plus you will have three more chances to win!
You see, each individual print is assigned a number, along with the purchaser’s name. Every month we add numbers for each new print sold to the list of purchasers.
Each print purchased gets the purchaser a number designation in the order in which the sale was processed. So if you buy a print each month, you might be numbers 51, 329, 677, and 1042. If any of those numbers come up on our random number generator, YOU win!
Remember, there are 10 winners each month, starting September 2006 till December 31, 2006. That’s 40 winners total by the end of December 31. Place your order(s) in September and you have FOUR months to become immortalized in print.

- The more prints you buy, the better your chances. Obviously, buying more than one, say one each month (or better yet, 2 or 5 or 10 each month!), increases your odds of winning.

- GREAT ODDS. You have an incredible chance to win any way you cut it. Unlike big lotteries, a comparatively small number of people will be competing to become characters in the Palladium Megaverse®.
Even purchasing one print in September, means you probably have a 1-50 chance to win that month! And that’s assuming as many as 500 people rush to purchase one print. If fewer people order, your odds of winning increases. And even if 1000 folks rush to order, that’s a 1-100 chance with just one purchase. Not bad odds compared to mass market lottery drawings, plus you own a nifty print. We have no idea how many people will take a shot at immortality, but what a unique opportunity. Plus, all proceeds will help Palladium get back on it’s feet.
Remember, there will be 10 winners every month, so even in November or December, your odds of winning are probably pretty darn good.

- Begging and pleading will do no good. The 10 selections each month will be completely random.

How it works

- Each Heroes of the Megaverse® print costs $10.00 +shipping and handling.

- Each print you purchase gets you a number in the Become an Official Palladium Character contest. Buy one print, you have one entry. Buy 10 and you have ten entries. Value of your name becoming a Palladium Character: Priceless (or worthless depending on your point of view). For Palladium fans, just think of the bragging rights you’ll have with your gaming buddies. Just try not to be too obnoxious if you win.

- The Heroes of the Megaverse® print was illustrated by Freddie E. Williams II, and was commissioned as a gift to Kevin Siembieda by Dennis Hughes. The original pen and ink artwork was presented to Kevin at the 2006 Palladium Open House, so it is a piece of Palladium history and another symbol of Palladium’s struggle through its Crisis of Treachery. Kevin thought this illustration was perfect for this contest, so that’s why it is being offered.

Note: Do not confuse this print with the $50, signed and numbered, A Megaverse United print by Kevin Siembieda. That print automatically gets your name “listed” in an upcoming Palladium title, but it does not make you a fleshed out, significant character.

- Prints are shipped rolled in a heavy-duty tube.

- Winners will be determined by a completely random number generation a day or two after the end of every month. Their names will be posted online and they will be notified personally.

- Winners will have the option of using their true name or that of a favorite player character from one of their own role-playing game experiences. However, a fictional character’s name must be identified as such. Furthermore, Palladium reserves the right to reject any fictional name that may, in Palladium’s sole discretion, represent bad taste, copyright or trademark infringement, or other issues of concern, and will use the purchaser’s real name. Please indicate and include any fictional name that is an alternative to your real name. Please do NOT use the name of friends or family.

- The Purchaser understands and agrees by making this purchase, his or her name may become a character in a Palladium Books publication (role-playing game, World Book, Dimension Book or sourcebook), and that said name becomes the intellectual property of Palladium Books, in perpetuity throughout the universe. For Example: Should Zachary Dennis Gamegeek II be randomly selected as a winner, his name becomes the property of Palladium Books. We own you! Er . . . um, we own your name and can do anything we want with it in RPGs, comics, novels, games, film, online and other mediums of our choosing. The purchaser also acknowledges that said character/name may appear as a one-shot character (hero, villain, non-player character, etc.) or as a continuing, reoccurring character. For Example: Doctor R. Burke who appeared in the RDF manual sourcebook for the original Robotech® RPG series, was named after Kevin’s pal, Richard Burke. Yet the character has gone on to appear in novels and elsewhere by companies other than Palladium Books.

Palladium will make no effort to make the fictional character resemble the actual person, and any incident where the two seem related, is entirely coincidental. Furthermore, Palladium Books reserves the right to use your name for a character who may be a hero, villain, monster, alien, or non-player character (NPC) of its choosing.

- Credit where credit is due. This idea came from longtime Palladium fan, Londonbaz (as he is known online), of Great Britian. Thanks, Barry, good idea. Now let’s see if other people think so as well.

So what are you waiting for? Order your print(s) today, and take your shot at becoming immortalized in a Palladium publication! :)

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”