Nephilim

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Nephilim

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

"When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years." The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. Genesis 6:1-4"

The origination of the Nephilim begins with a story of the fallen angels. Shemhazai, an angel of high rank, led a rebel sect of angels in a descent to earth to instruct humans in righteousness. The tutelage went on for a few centuries, but soon the angels pined for the human females. After lusting, the fallen angels instructed the women in magic and conjuring, mated with them, and produced hybrid offspring: the Nephilim

The Nephilim were gigantic in stature. Their strength was prodigious and their appetites immense. Upon devouring all of humankind's resources, they began to consume humans themselves. The Nephilim attacked and oppressed humans and were the cause of massive destruction on the earth

This is the Jewish interpretation of the Nephilim
and the ledgen is mostly right although slightly exagerated.
The early Nephilim were slightly taller then normal humans but
they were far from giants, their strength was impresive compared
to a normal human but would is not impresive in the least compared
to a angel. The frist Nephilim were concentraited in the Middel east
and they were victems of circumstance. In the early part of their
age they were acepted but as time went on Ordinary humans and
Nephilim grew suspecious of one another. Then a great Famine
struck the land they lived in. The ordinary people decided that they
could not share reasources with the Nephilim. So they were invited to
a feast to discust the famine. The Nephilim came the offer of food was
too much of a lure. Too bad the food was poisined. 80% of them died
in this anchent holocost. The survivors fled and intermarried with normal
humans who did not know their heritage. The Angelic genes went dormant. Cases of Angel Human relationships continued to happen sporadically. In places as far apart as Africa, europe, China, and the
americas. These rare instances created new Nephilim, most of whome
marry normal humans.

Gentics is a strange thing every now and then a dormant gene
will flair to full life with out explanation, these flair ups can create
Nephilim even in cases where the genes have slept for more then
30 generations!

Atrubutes +10 to PB +5 to MA +1d6 to 3 atrubutes of choice

Skills
Roll as normal Nephilum do not gain special skills
for being Nephilum

Abilitys

Flight- A Nephilim can sprout glowing wings made out of light
energy out of their back this allows them to fly at 80KM +10 KM
per hour.

Holy Armor- Nephilim can sumon a sort of mystic armor it has
a AR 10 +1 every other level Its SDC is the Nephilim's ME X 5
the armor gains 1d4X10 SDC every other level

Holy touch- Nephilim have a sothing aura every one with in 30 meters
of them heal 3 times faster then normal every one in this radius gains
+10 to save vrs diesease unfortantly this aura doesnt affect the
Nephilim themselves.

Disadvantages
Nephilim can not gain subminor powers
Nephilim have weirdness magnate at light level
Nephilim will automatically be hated by Demons
Many goverments like to preform experements on
Nephilim, some unscuplous corperations do the same thing
and countless religous cults think a Nephilim sacerfise will
bring their dark lord to earth.
Nephulim feel a compulsion to be kind to others

(Some thing for Justice unlimited Hope you like it marco!)
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

This totlly iggnores that all but a few people were killed in the world wide flood event. and that god made it so the angles couldn't have anymore children with human women before the flood event.

Though there are some that say that there were some Nephilim husbands on the boat with those that lived through it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

drewkitty wrote:This totlly iggnores that all but a few people were killed in the world wide flood event. and that god made it so the angles couldn't have anymore children with human women before the flood event.

Though there are some that say that there were some Nephilim husbands on the boat with those that lived through it.

Its for a RPG film noir stile game it just needs enough bible
information to give it a veneer of paranormal cool
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
knightgoblin
Wanderer

Unread post by knightgoblin »

drewkitty
and that god made it so the angles couldn't have anymore children with human women before the flood event.

Where does it say this in the Bible or any scripture for that matter? I think that this is something said in Sunday school or church so people don’t freak out. :eek:
Just like how Ministers will say that Satan can’t read your mind. Oh yeah, where does it say that in the Bible? :P
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

knightgoblin wrote:drewkitty
and that god made it so the angles couldn't have anymore children with human women before the flood event.

Where does it say this in the Bible or any scripture for that matter? I think that this is something said in Sunday school or church so people don’t freak out. :eek:
Just like how Ministers will say that Satan can’t read your mind. Oh yeah, where does it say that in the Bible? :P

Well sence these relations took place before the Flood Event in Genises....before Noah.

In the new testiment it says something like (working from memory) ' who can know the thoughts of men but God the father?' This was in reference to Judging others.
But sence Saten and the other demons have been around a while, they can read ppl quite well w/o actully reading thoughts.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
knightgoblin
Wanderer

Unread post by knightgoblin »

drewkitty
In the new testiment it says something like (working from memory) ' who can know the thoughts of men but God the father?' This was in reference to Judging others.

can you find this in the Bible for me. I'm not sure, but the wording maybe important
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nice idea I love it Cheri :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:What about angels mating with humans?

Yes, that is what we are talking about.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Ayn Rand

typical I try to create a new charater class and it turns into
a theology debate. :-?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:
drewkitty wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:What about angels mating with humans?

Yes, that is what we are talking about.

And you stated that after the flood, that could no longer happen. Where did you get this from?

You are being thick on this subject.......lets see we are talking about how before the flood event that angels mated with human women, producing men that were lager then everyone else. Now the only book that talks about the world distroying flood evet is the bibile.....so anything before the flood event would have to come from the same sorce.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

I've never read any such thing about the angels not being able to mate with humans. Now I've never attended sunday school and don't attend church regularly so if they said it I wouldn't have heard or believed it. Also since the christian religion is based on the bible it would have to actually be in the bible to be of any credibilty. Now from what I remember the nephilim are mentioned in genesis 6:4 and again in deuteromony I want to way. In genesis it says they were alround before and after referring to the flood. But I don't remember it saying anywhere in the bible that they angels could no longer mate with humans.

But back on subject pretty cool idea cherico.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Wasn't Goliath one? And he was well after the flood.

He was a giant, I don't think he was actually a Nephillium, just a REALLY big guy.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

um...cause he was tall?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Blight wrote:um...cause he was tall?

Thank you for that waste of a post.

Is the correct answer 'possibly due to a glandular condition'?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Wasn't Goliath one? And he was well after the flood.

He was a giant, I don't think he was actually a Nephillium, just a REALLY big guy.

Why was he a giant?

It has been said that the philitiens were decendent from the nephilim stock thus a big/tall people. It never says what sort of men the dauters of noah wed. So it is theroized that the had married nephilim or the decendence of nephilim, thus contuing the blood lines into the days of David.

The modern theroy is that Golioth was suffering from a condition I think is called "gientisum', where the gland that controls growth acts abnormally causing the person to grow abnormally large. Today they can control this condition with drug theropy. Part of the conditions of the gientisium is that their skules grow so much that they become thin and brittle, thus a stone to the temple area would kill them, this combined with bad eyesight would let a nimble yougn teen move into a blind spot and sling a rock into the gient's head.

This didn't change the fact of David's faith in God to see him through the fight safely.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Blight wrote:um...cause he was tall?

Thank you for that waste of a post.

While Blight's post may have been facetious, he's actually right.

The Bible doesn't directly call Goliath a giant. It does however describe his height as "six cubits and a span," (1 Samuel 17:4) or about 9'6" (3 m). So indeed, we say he was a giant only because he was unusually tall.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

The story of Goliath is found in 1 Samuel 17:4-51.
A giant from the city of Gath (i think i spelled that correctly) was said to be 6 1/2 cubits or about 91/2 feet tall. Later it was found in two of LLX manuscript and the a dead sea scroll manuscript of samuel puts him at 4 cubits and a span. That would put him at 61/2 feet tall. He was one of five "giants" killed from that city.
So if my answer didn't cover your need then how about this one.
He was called a giant because he was a tall man from a tribe of people that averaged 5 foot 11 inches to 6 foot 2 inches. While that is about the average now at the time the average height of a man was 5 foot to 5 foot 6 inches. So at 6 foot 6 inches he would only be a tall man now at the time he towered over his enemies.
I hope this answer was elaborate enough for you as to not to have wasted precious board space. :lol:
Prince Cherico
Hero
Ayn Rand

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Blight wrote:The story of Goliath is found in 1 Samuel 17:4-51.
A giant from the city of Gath (i think i spelled that correctly) was said to be 6 1/2 cubits or about 91/2 feet tall. Later it was found in two of LLX manuscript and the a dead sea scroll manuscript of samuel puts him at 4 cubits and a span. That would put him at 61/2 feet tall. He was one of five "giants" killed from that city.
So if my answer didn't cover your need then how about this one.
He was called a giant because he was a tall man from a tribe of people that averaged 5 foot 11 inches to 6 foot 2 inches. While that is about the average now at the time the average height of a man was 5 foot to 5 foot 6 inches. So at 6 foot 6 inches he would only be a tall man now at the time he towered over his enemies.
I hope this answer was elaborate enough for you as to not to have wasted precious board space. :lol:

I was looking for Biblical source, not anthropological, though that is a good explanation. It is self evident he was called a giant because he was very notably larger than everyone else. That or his title was ironic.

how the heck did my OCC thread end in a dicusion on giagantism?
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Misfit KotLD wrote:I was looking for Biblical source, not anthropological, though that is a good explanation. It is self evident he was called a giant because he was very notably larger than everyone else. That or his title was ironic.

The actual bible doesn't really say though. (Well I'm pretty sure my 5 books of Moses doesn't... I can check tonight if you like.)

Daniel Stoker
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Misfit KotLD wrote:I would appreciate it. I vaguely remember it from my Southern Baptist upbringing, so I'm not saying it's definate one way or the other.

It shouldn't be to hard to dig up... I'll see what I find and I'll let you know.

Daniel Stoker
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Opps sorry for the derail Lord Cherico, I really like your concept. I had an idea what if your nephilim could have characteristics of the type of angel that fathered their line?
The First Sphere, heavenly counselors:

Seraphim which means “the burning ones,” have the most intense “flaming” love for God and comprehend Him with the greatest clarity. (Interestingly, Lucifer, which means “light bearer,” was one of the seraphim whose beautiful light was changed into darkness.)

Cherubim: (cherubim plural) The name cherub (cherubim plural) denotes the power of knowing and beholding God. Their receptivity to the most high gift of light. Their contemplation of the beauty of the divinity in its first manifestation. They are filled by participation and divine wisdom and bounteously outpour to those below them from their own fountain of wisdom

Thrones: the thrones, symbolizing divine justice and judicial power, contemplate God’s power and justice.

Second Sphere, heavenly governors:
The dominations or dominions, whose name evokes authority, govern the lesser choirs of angels

Virtues: whose name originally suggested power or strength, implement the orders from the domination’s and govern the heavenly bodies.
Powers: the powers confront and fight against any evil forces opposed to God’s providential plan
Each group is associated with specific symbols. The dominations held scepters and wore crowns. The virtues are shown with flasks of perfume, trumpets, and rays of lightening. The powers are depicted wielding flaming swords

Third Sphere, heavenly messengers.
Principalities: The principalities care for early principalities, such as nations or cities
Archangels: The archangels deliver God’s most important messages to mankind, while each angel serves as a guardian who protect humans.
Just an idea.
Puroresu
Wanderer

I love this idea!

Unread post by Puroresu »

This Nephilim idea is awesome! I like Blight's hierarchy of the Seraphim, Cherubim, etc.

I always wanted to try this type of campaign ever since I watched movies like The Prophecy and parts of The Omen.

I recently purchased Rapture: The Second Coming from Holistic Designs and a couple In Nomine books from Steve Jackson Games for further inspiration on these ideas.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I Like the the Concept as well, Cherico.
As to the angelic orders....

...your missing the Wheels, the Flames(Aishim), and the Aralim(VAiliant ones) off the top of my head.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Sir_'Can Do'_Spiri+ wrote:I Like the the Concept as well, Cherico.
As to the angelic orders....

...your missing the Wheels, the Flames(Aishim), and the Aralim(VAiliant ones) off the top of my head.

Wheels, Flames, and Aralim fall under Thrones..
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Hmm, I know of an more interesting study of what the genesis quote actually says, but I won't derail this thread anymore than it is by posting here.

Wheels, Flames, and Aralim fall under Thrones..

So, the other three work with/for the Thrones?
Or they are Thrones?
Since the latter doesn't make sense to me.
I know of individual Archangels who are also said to also be a member of a specific host.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Sorry I ment there in the first order:oops:
THRONES:
Also known as the Ophanim, these angels serve the primary function of being God's chariot. But besides this, they are also noted as being the dispensers of God's judgment; acting with impartialness and humility to bring about the desires of the Lord. Having the most bizarre physical appearance of the celestial host, they are described a great wheels, covered with a great many eyes and glowing with light. One explanation given for this (besides them acting as God's chariot), is that they mark the end of the first Choir, where the emanations of God begin to take on more material forms and as such exist in a state of transition.

Spirits of Will. Bring God's justice to us. They are sometimes called wheels and in the Jewish Kabbalah, CHARIOTS or the MERKABAH. The occult book, the Zohar, ranks wheels above seraphim, but other sources place them as cherubim, the whole thing being confused. The ruling prince is Oriphiel or Zabkiel or Zaphiel.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Well, the Throne are part of the Top triumvirate of Angelic hosts(with the cherubim andSeraphim being the other two)..
Puroresu
Wanderer

Any more ideas on this?

Unread post by Puroresu »

Hey, Lord Cherico or Blight! Either one of you going to submit any more ideas to this Nephilim thing? I think it sounds great so far!

So how would other angels fit into this? For example, Gabriel, Uriel, Raphael, Michael, Azrael, etc.
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

I remembered hearing of Dr. John Dee, who was said to converse with and gain mystic knowledge from angels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dee

I found this lengthy essay about the questionable existance of an actual
Necronomicon, and some historical links to John Dee and Aleister Crowley. It goes into great detail about historical and religious matters that I am honestly ignorant of. But I found it to be an entertaining discussion of one of the legends created by H.P. Lovecraft. Maybe there's some material you might use for story ideas.

I must say that I do not condone any "magic" or occult practices. I only cite the essay in the link to possibly help with campaign development, or at least for entertainment purposes.

http://www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/essays/GnosticTrail.htm

A list of angels:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian_angels

Nephilim according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery
and my Mutants & Magic blog.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Nemo235 wrote:I remembered hearing of Dr. John Dee, who was said to converse with and gain mystic knowledge from angels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dee

IIRC, he didn't do any direct conversing, he just owned a ball that he let others use, one guy inparticular, the one who gave him Enochian.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”