IQ Bonus Question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Amberjack
Explorer

IQ Bonus Question

Unread post by Amberjack »

Sorry if this has been asked before

Does The IQ bonus add to Scroll Conversion, and other wizard abilities, such as Recognize enchantment.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I'd say it does.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

I'd say it does.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: IQ Bonus Question

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Amberjack wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before

Does The IQ bonus add to Scroll Conversion, and other wizard abilities, such as Recognize enchantment.

I run it that way, but techically it only applies to actual skills.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I'd say it does.

You can say that again. :)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:

I'd say it does.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: IQ Bonus Question

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Amberjack wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before

Its a skill so I do.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I'd say it does.

:-D

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I'd say it does.

:-D
:D 8-)

:)

Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

Thanks everyone :-D
Appreciate the input
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Anything listed as a "skill," including class specific skills, I allow the bonus for. I do not apply the bonus to things listed as an "ability" however.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Your IQ bonus is added to anything with a % after it, including but not limited to skills, RCC skills/abilities, and OCC skils/abilities.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

MaddogMatarese wrote:Your IQ bonus is added to anything with a % after it, including but not limited to skills, RCC skills/abilities, and OCC skils/abilities.

So you would add IQ bonus to a priest's ressurection miracle? A warlock's Summon Elementals ability? A wizard's Enchanted Cauldron spell?

IQ shouldn't affect any of those.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Misfit KotLD wrote:
J. Lionheart wrote:So you would add IQ bonus to a priest's ressurection miracle? A warlock's Summon Elementals ability? A wizard's Enchanted Cauldron spell?

Why not? A smarter mage should have a better chance of making a working cauldron, or calling an elemental.

Because those aren't skills, and they don't have anything to do with the player's brain.

Ressurection is a gift from the gods based upon the priest's service. Being smarter doesn't make you a better servant or make the gods like you more.

Summoning elementals is a Warlock's ability based upon their long-time link with their elemental brothers. Being smarter doesn't increase the length of your bond.

The Enchanted Cauldron I actually tossed in there to see how far people would take it. It isn't even class skill or ability at all - it's a bloody magic spell! People want to add IQ bonus to magic now? Saying IQ should increase the chance of success here is like saying PE should increase the damage of call lightning.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Let make it unanimous. I.Q. applies to anything that considered a skill.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

J. Lionheart wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:Your IQ bonus is added to anything with a % after it, including but not limited to skills, RCC skills/abilities, and OCC skils/abilities.

So you would add IQ bonus to a priest's ressurection miracle? A warlock's Summon Elementals ability? A wizard's Enchanted Cauldron spell?

Yes, I would. Otherwise they're too low.
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I'd say it does.

:lol:

Killer Cyborg wrote:I run it that way, but techically it only applies to actual skills.

I run it very subjectively. If it seems like IQ would apply, but the rules don't specify, I apply the bonus. For example, for class skills from the brainpower-based magic users -- Wizard, Diabolist, and Summoner -- I'm inclined to apply IQ bonuses. Since those classes are all about knowledge and its application, it seems appropriate to do so. The faith-based classes -- Priest, Witch, Warlock, and so on -- don't get a bonus because the focus of their abilities is different, and not dependent upon intelligence.

Notice that the Priest and the Witch have no attribute requirements at all, and the Warlock's IQ requirement is so low that a character need only not be a complete idiot. The Druid does require you to be at least around average intelligence, but the emphasis in the faith-based classes is clearly not on the IQ stat, and nobody plays Druids anyway. 8-)

Wizards, Diabolists, and Summoners, by contrast, all require a minimum IQ of at least average. That says to me that the skills, powers, and abilities they wield should be subject to the bonus. The Enchanted Cauldron spell is a bit of a gray area in my mind, as an argument could be made that the percentage increases per level are due to a growing attunement to the forces of magic, rather than accumulation of knowledge. In my own game I don't apply the bonus to this spell, but I certainly wouldn't criticise someone who did.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”