Elf Erratta for Skills/Bonuses?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Elf Erratta for Skills/Bonuses?

Unread post by Denaes »

In 1e the Elves have special skills and bonuses with bows.

In the Rifts Conversion book they have these bonuses.

These bonuses are not in my Palladium 2e First Printing (also no nightvision).

In the Revised conversion book for Rifts just put out somewhat recently, the Elves have the extra bonuses.

Are they supposed to have them in fantasy? In my party I'm an Elf and I'm the only non-human without special skills or really any bonuses. In fact I think I also have the shortest Nightvision as well.

The only bonuses I'm seeing is a higher than average PB, PP + 10 SDC and nightvision.

They have higher than average PPE, but no mention of a bonus to their PPE if they choose an Magic Class
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nerdbane wrote:Is that canon, or just your interpretation?

cannonal interpretation, since only one way or the other can be correct, and obviously mine is.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I'd say they were probablly lost on the cutting room floor. just like Red Flame Demon Lords who have no SDC in nightbane.

give it to them.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

I don't have First Edition so I don't know what those bonuses are, but it's obvious Elves got shortchanged especially when you read all the stuff Dwarves get in the racial description.

Since this is the case, and the racial description shows that Elves have a greater chance at psionic abilities in the racial description area, I usually will let Elvish PCs select 2 minor psionics or let them play a Major psionic character (complete with appropriate skill losses), if they choose, as a way to compensate.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

I saw that too! Greater than average Psionic Potential, then says Standard under psionics.

I've always heard people saying that Elves Attributes more than make up for it and... well, they don't.

In the end, they average out to +1d6 over a 3d6 average. They have some higher Attributes, but them some lower ones. And just for the fact that they're not human and 4d6, you don't get bonus rolls and you can't swap them around (in my past groups, we let you swap around like die rolls; so humans being all 3d6 had the greatest potential to be whatever, while Elves could only swap their 2d6s and their 4d6s)

I might even say they have better Attributes, but the Dwarves are at least as good... with all this SDC and all these skills and bonuses. And the Dwarves only real drawbacks are that they have a distaste for magic (Vast majority of Palladium Dwarves won't learn it) and their physical stature stands out a bit more.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

cannonal interpretation, since only one way or the other can be correct, and obviously mine is.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Elf Erratta for Skills/Bonuses?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Denaes wrote:In 1e the Elves have special skills and bonuses with bows.

They did? I don't recall this.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

You're right.

I just randomly found my 1e Revised book in a box doing something totally unrelated.

It was just in the Rifts Conversion Book1 and from what I gather, in Conversion Book 1 Revised

It was +1 Attack with a bow, if you had the skill (wouldn't help me) and something like +3% to all wilderness skills. I think you got a bonus language as well because Elves are more edumicated or something.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Well, elves do have Nightvision in the 2nd Edition. They also have See In Total Darkness. The Nightvision is listed in my main book (but due to printing might be a change) and the other is listed in Errata in Adventures on the High Seas. Also, it can be found here:

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... lrpgn.html

It's not much, but it is something. Of course, I find it odd that number is different than the number listed in Conversion Book One ... which is different than the number listed in Conversion Book One Revised. So that gives three different numbers for the range of their Nightvision.

Personally, I'd stick with the info from the main book (and the errata clearly stated) and NOT the Rifts Conversion Book. But that's my personal opinion. One reason for that is that I really don't like the same tired stereotype of all elves being bowman. Seen it, looking for something new and some originality. Similarly, if you're going to start using the stuff from the Conversion Book, are you going to give them all the free skills? Those aren't in the PF 2nd Edition book either. IN MY OPINION (put that in capitals just to make sure it was clear and not facts from the book), these are bonuses granted for Rifts to help them equal out in a different world with a different power level. Also in most cases, a bow isn't going to help much in Rifts. While you're struggling to keep your bow loaded with an arrow, someone is blasting at you with their energy rifle with increased range and damage (for a standard base comparison). There are exceptions I'm sure (though I don't know Rifts that well), but for those exceptions it just makes it that much more dramatic and such. Oh wow, he's taking on an energy cannon with a bow and arrow?! On the other hand, in PF, a bow and arrow can be a huge difference maker as is. Starting at a good range and the melee fighter might not ever make it to the archer because he's too full of arrows. And no, I don't want to start a huge debate on this (I believe there are more than enough threads about bow and arrows vs. melee fighters as it is ... but just making an example to help prove a point).

Well, that's my stance on the matter. Ultimately it's up to the GM of course, but thought I'd put in my point of view (especially since the tired cliché of every elf being a bowman just really irks me). Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

IMO, I believe that conversion book bonuses from 1E to Rifts was to balance the two together. 2E would prolly only be effective changes for Elves to upgrade to Rifts and not specifically affect a change for them in Fanatsy. It is hard for me though to say what they may have lost, my printing edition of the Main Book is like 14 so all erratta has been included in it (possibly).
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”