So...

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

So...

Unread post by Xar »

...What's the deal with all of the U-turn lanes in Taylor?

Is it a Michigan thing? Do they help with traffic flow? Did anyone else almost make an illegal left multiple times?

Am I being goofy?
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

U-turns.... We stayed in Dearborn, and it was absolutely impossible to find a route to get to Taylor without making a U-Turn... it was the most... well, it was weird. Also, as soon as we hit Michigan, the highway was so full of pot holes and cracks... wowie.
grymhammer
D-Bee

Unread post by grymhammer »

Lots of the roads around here are like that. You eventually get used to going right to go left and making those uturns. It's strange going anywhere else, where they DON'T have that now.
Reddenedone
Adventurer

In our little neck of the woods, U-Turns are illegal...
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Oh, I see!

Thanks for the name.
~Xar~

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Its kinda like Jersey. YOU CAN'T TURN LEFT HERE TO SAVE YOUR LIFE!!! You have to go right at a jughandle which may be about half amile away from where you want to turn...on a side note, its illegal to pump your own gas.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Oh no!!! You guys are going to get Preacher going on this again!!! When we went up to Michigan it drove him absolutely CRAZY!!! I don't find it weird cause I grew up with the odd U-Turn Lanes, but it drove Bryan absolutely nuts!
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

In the old days, a zillion cars would be in the left turn lane and drivers would continue to turn left until the millisecond the light turned red. Of course, sometimes drivers going the other way would begin moving the millisecond the light turned green for them. So a guy determined to be the car that turns left no matter what, got hit or nearly hit.

So, they began making these what I call turnarounds and made it a lot easier to go where you wanted to go without the guy behind you leaning on his horn and yelling "Get going!"

Alex Marciniszyn
grymhammer
D-Bee

Unread post by grymhammer »

The flashing red is just a little extra beyond the green arrow. You can go through the flashing red while waiting if traffic is clear. You'll typically get the green arrow before or after the flashing red. It's just a way to keep traffic moving.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Yep with the exception of the Circle Traps in New England the go way the hell out of your way turn arounds suck the most.

Humm? I think I will turn into this neat little diner there on the left, ok so all I have to do is drive three miles on down the road and then turn around and come back. Yep that is a lot easier and makes tons of sense. In fact that makes about as much sense as going from ohio to say Tennessee via the North Pole and around the entire frikken globe and back up and around!!! :x :x :x :x
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

:) Told you he didn't like the turn arounds :)
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Wow! :eek:

Sorry.
~Xar~

Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

On a related note, I heard that you can't make a right-hand turn on a red light in US.

Is that true?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

[DoomIII]Untrue[/DoomIII]
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Yeah that whole "no left turn" crap sucked!!!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Also, according to Michigan law...

A man legally owns his wife's hair.

In Detroit, it is illegal to ogle a woman from a moving car.

In Port Huron, the speed limit for ambulances is 20 mph.

Under state law, dentists are officially classified as mechanics.

In Clawson, it is legal for a farmer to "sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens".
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Also, according to Michigan law...

A man legally owns his wife's hair.

In Detroit, it is illegal to ogle a woman from a moving car.

In Port Huron, the speed limit for ambulances is 20 mph.

Under state law, dentists are officially classified as mechanics.

In Clawson, it is legal for a farmer to "sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens".

Aside from being... mildly shocked, I believe it would interest me to find out what weird laws are in my home town. Thank you Braden.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..I wasn't the one driving, so maybe my perspective was flawed, but I found it refreshing; by relocating left turns down the road from the main bottlenecks (intersections) traffic naturally flows better. Likewise merging with traffic from an angle as opposed to trying to turn into it from a perpendicular position is going to be much safer.

..Right on Red. RIGHT ON RED!!! This irks me to no end; if you don't see a fricken sign saying not to do it, GET OUT OF THE FRICKEN WAY!!!

..How many lights have I had to sit through for no reason other than the lack of sense of the person in front....

..Sorry, I drive for a living.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

That whole no left turns thing is a conspiracy by the reverse-vampire saucer people or something. They're worse than traffic circles!
Insert 400 character limit here.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

In seminary, they teach you the 11th commandment.

"Thou Shalt not get caught."
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

You think doing a Michigan Left is bad in a car, try it in a semi-truck!!!
I have to put up with it everyday in my normal job.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Its all a matter of perspective. Growing up in michigan the "michigan left" on a divided road is no big deal to me. But while I was in virginia (near Fairfax) the main drag thru the area I was in was divivded also. But you could not turn left. So you had to do one of two things. Drive around the block (which is not square shaped or easy to understand if not from the area, they literally have roads that cross them selves). Or turn around in a parking lot that had a big sign saying do not turn around here. Drove me crazy.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Savariousx1 wrote:...invented by Buddhist monks to provide to you relaxation and breathing time...

Perhaps, but not the first time you get to one and you don't know the area, so you're saying "Oh crap, that's the street I need to take, but I can't turn there! Ahhh!"

Ah yes, that was quite the experience. Fortunately, the local McDonalds parking lot connected to both streets, and I was able to save myself by visiting Micky-D's.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Randomfist
Explorer

Unread post by Randomfist »

Looks like they just need to put in some round-abouts.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Oh no! I hate roundabouts! Not for myself, but for all of the rest of the drivers that can't figure them out. Yield to the left, people!

Once I saw someone go right up the middle, over the curb, through flowers, down the other side and straight on through to the street on the other side. Everyone else on the whole road just stopped in wonderment at his stupidity.
~Xar~

Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Xar wrote:Oh no! I hate roundabouts! Not for myself, but for all of the rest of the drivers that can't figure them out. Yield to the left, people!

Once I saw someone go right up the middle, over the curb, through flowers, down the other side and straight on through to the street on the other side. Everyone else on the whole road just stopped in wonderment at his stupidity.

Ha Ha Ha! The last time I was in Australia I was in Cairns and met up with Rodney Stott from here on the boards. We rented a car and in one shot I learned how to drive on the wrong side of the road, shift with my left hand AND get through round-abouts. It was a blast!!! We'd get into a round-about and when the time was right he'd direct me out of the thing or we'd still be there going around in circles!

God that was fun!!!

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Look kids, Parliament. Big Ben!
~Xar~

MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Xar wrote:Look kids, Parliament. Big Ben!

:lol: :lol: :-D :D

..Thanks man, I needed a good laugh. After being assaulted at work yesterday this just seemed outrageously funny..

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Preacher wrote:Yep with the exception of the Circle Traps in New England the go way the hell out of your way turn arounds suck the most.

Humm? I think I will turn into this neat little diner there on the left, ok so all I have to do is drive three miles on down the road and then turn around and come back. Yep that is a lot easier and makes tons of sense. In fact that makes about as much sense as going from ohio to say Tennessee via the North Pole and around the entire frikken globe and back up and around!!! :x :x :x :x

We don't have those in Vermont. In New Hampshire, however. Aren't those fun! :D
The Phoenix is Coming!

Return to “Palladium Open House”