Question about the factions - Catholic Inquisition.

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stattick
Adventurer

Question about the factions - Catholic Inquisition.

Unread post by Stattick »

I'm working on some info for a new faction (yeah, I can hear your groans already), and I wanted to make sure that I'm not duplicating something that's already in one of the books or in the Rifters.

Two words: Catholic Inquisition. Has it been done?

P.S. I still haven't had the chance to read all the nightbane source material that I have. I'm working on this at work, so I don't have my books here to peruse.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

an Inqusition is fine, but having it always be catholics is getting old.

let some other christian demonination go around slaying demons and witches.

Fear the Lutharians, Evil! :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Stattick
Adventurer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:an Inqusition is fine, but having it always be catholics is getting old.

Not a bad suggestion. I used the Catholics because they've been around for so long, and because of the rumors that they have the largest occult library on the planet. They also originated the Inquisition as well, and it lasted much longer then most people believe, almost to modern times.

However, I can easily include a brief description on other denominations out there, but I would have to limit it to religions that I have some familiarity with. For example, I'm sure that there would be Chinese and Indian demon hunters as well, but I don't have the expertise to write them up. If I knew more about Judaism, the "Judaic Arcanist", or "Cabalist" OCC's would just be cool. Spell list could include, create golem, turn snakes to sticks, part water, impervious to fire, earthquake, create water, and speak with burning foliage.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Just call it the Inquisition and don't put a denomination on it. Most people will assume Catholic anyway.

Oh, and if you intend to publish this, tread carefully in your treatment of the religion. It can be a villain, but it needs to at least be a respectable one, and their side of the story should be presented.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Stattick
Adventurer

DavidGallaher1 wrote:Well, WW did it ... but if yours is different enough and historic enough, it's cool.

Yeah, I remebered something about WW doing this, but I don't remember the details. I'm not trying to base this on their stuff anyway, so I'm not worried about what they did. I just thought this was a logical story arc.

I'm not catholic, so I don't know quite enough to really flesh it out for publication, unless it's a really small Rifter submission. I know I could do some research, but even minor research could take forever, because the church has been around for so long. (ie let the knowledgeable fill in the blanks about specific priestly orders and saints and such. The unknowledgeable could just fake it.)

Well, I think that this answers the question that no one's covered this ground in an officail or semi-offical way. I will probably finish this in the next couple of days. I'll put this up on my website, as this would be a massive post. (at least 3 character classes... description of the order, etc)

I'll put a link in this thread when it goes up, so the interested can read it.

BTW, yeah, I'm trying to be respectful of other people's beliefs (except for white mexican jewish witches... grrr - just kidding)
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:an Inqusition is fine, but having it always be catholics is getting old.

Bah!
No one expects The Unitarian Inquisition!!!

Not even the Unitarians.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Stattick
Adventurer

Sentinel wrote:No one expects The Unitarian Inquisition!!!

:lol:
"Oh no, it's the Pentacostal Inquisition! Quick, run while they're speaking in tongues!"

"Shhh... hide the playing cards... it's the Babtist inquisition!!"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Ahh! Run for your lives.

It's the Mormond Inqusition!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Stattick
Adventurer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Ahh! Run for your lives.

running will do no good... they're really fast on those bikes...
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Ahh! Run for your lives.

"Mormond"?

I personally would fear the wrath of the "Non-Denominational Inquisition" - I can't imagine the three-ring circus that would be in trying to determine what was even considered heresy in the first place...
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Stattick
Adventurer

Nerdbane wrote:

Isn't that kinda like saying "Oh, sure, Nazis make great villains, but do they always have to be German?!?"

:D

da Nerdbane

at least it wasn't Nazis riding dinosaurs
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nerdbane wrote:

Isn't that kinda like saying "Oh, sure, Nazis make great villains, but do they always have to be German?!?"

da Nerdbane

what do you think the Coalition was for?

Sentinel
Palladin

Stattick wrote:
Nerdbane wrote:

da Nerdbane

at least it wasn't Nazis riding dinosaurs

Nazi Simvan you say? :shock:

Stattick
Adventurer

well, i went to research just a couple of facts on the inquisition, and now hours later, the whole thing is re-written and just about done. The research results I got this time were way better then last time, and I got some juicy stuff. I'll hopefully have this finished by Sunday.

there's gotta be something wrong with me, if this is my idea of fun! need to sleep. gotta go to work in 5 hours...
Puroresu
Wanderer

How about Nazarene Inquisition?

Unread post by Puroresu »

You could have a Church of the Nazarene Inquisition. The only difference is that it would be led by women, while the men review church policy.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I'm interested to know how the Inquisition feels about the other Factions in Nightbane.
Stattick
Adventurer

Re: How about Nazarene Inquisition?

Puroresu wrote:You could have a Church of the Nazarene Inquisition. The only difference is that it would be led by women, while the men review church policy.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I'm interested to know how the Inquisition feels about the other Factions in Nightbane.

I don't know anything about the Church of the Nazarene except the name and that it's some flavor of Christianity.
Sentinel
Palladin

Stattick wrote:well, i went to research just a couple of facts on the inquisition, and now hours later, the whole thing is re-written and just about done. The research results I got this time were way better then last time, and I got some juicy stuff. I'll hopefully have this finished by Sunday.

there's gotta be something wrong with me, if this is my idea of fun! need to sleep. gotta go to work in 5 hours...

It's not just you.

I'm working on four hours of real sleep, and can't wait to have some free time to do more game work.

Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Sentinel wrote:

Bah!
No one expects The Unitarian Inquisition!!!

Not even the Unitarians.
Or the Church of England Inquisition.

"Now then, we find you guilty of being an evil abomination. We hereby sentence you to... tea and cake with the vicar or death!"
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I've known a vicar - believe me, you want death - just ask for the cake with your last meal.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Steve Conan Trustrum »

Before I pitched Tribes of the Moon, I pitched a Catholic church sourcebook. Palladium thought it was cool, but because of their position on using religious material they asked that I instead expand TotM into a full manuscript. I was supposed to follow-up TotM with a book to develop the vampires of Nightbane and my ideas for the Catholic Inquisition ended up in there as the organization, Pendragon (after some heavy re-writing.) You can download the unedited but formated PDF of the latter manuscript, including the Pendragon material, from trustrum.com in the downloads section should you wish to have a look.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Trustrum.com | Misfits In Action Web Comic
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Sweet - will do as I am most curious to see a "semi-official" view of how this might all work.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

You Know wrote:Sweet - will do as I am most curious to see a "semi-official" view of how this might all work.
There is a theologian OCC in there that Kevin approved as a way to represent a priest without actually saying "hey, this is a Catholic priest!" Indeed, he's the one who suggested the name, 'Theologian.'
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Steve Dubya
Hero

It'll take me awhile to go through all of that (since it isn't just a "one-sitting" reading by the looks of it).

Thanks for the "heads up."
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

No prob.

One day I hope to actually have the time to edit both it and the TotM (both are just the raw text) and do a proper layout with clipart so that, even though it's just a netbook, it would look like a PDF version of a print book. The advantage of being a rpg PDF publisher is that the means are all in my hands, just not the time :)
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Stattick
Adventurer

Well, then they'll probably refuse my submission once I get my inquisition stuff finished, but I'm gonnas submit anyway. If they like it, at least they'll know my name. Oh well.

I might be able to finish it today or tommorow. The girlfriend took too much of my time for me to be able to get much work done over the weekend - silly me I forgot there was a holiday. Here I am writing about the church, not realizing that one of their most important holidays was around the corner. :lol:
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:No prob.

One day I hope to actually have the time to edit both it and the TotM (both are just the raw text) and do a proper layout with clipart so that, even though it's just a netbook, it would look like a PDF version of a print book. The advantage of being a rpg PDF publisher is that the means are all in my hands, just not the time :)

Why did you never finish/send them in to palladium?

Steve Dubya
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Why did you never finish/send them in to palladium?

As discussed earlier:
Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:Palladium thought it was cool, but because of their position on using religious material they asked that I instead expand TotM into a full manuscript.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

I sent the 40 page pitch in, which included their secret backstory and summation of additional material, but it was judged too controversial for Palladium (see Palladium's policy on avoiding all things regarding contemporary religion.) So, for one of the Nightbane books I was asked to write I took the ideas and used them as the foundation for Pendragon, a "spiritual" group that had its origins in the historical Church but had long since broken away. If you look over the Pendragon material you can see that it can EASILY be altered to represent an organization that still has secret ties to the Church.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:
I sent the 40 page pitch in, which included their secret backstory and summation of additional material, but it was judged too controversial for Palladium (see Palladium's policy on avoiding all things regarding contemporary religion.) So, for one of the Nightbane books I was asked to write I took the ideas and used them as the foundation for Pendragon, a "spiritual" group that had its origins in the historical Church but had long since broken away. If you look over the Pendragon material you can see that it can EASILY be altered to represent an organization that still has secret ties to the Church.

Where can I find this again?

Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

www.trustrum.com and then go to the downloads section to get the Nations of Blood PDF. TotM hasn't yet been put into a PDF (I'm too busy with PDFs that pays the bills at the moment.) As I said, though, I hope to do proper editing and layout for both one of these days.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Stattick
Adventurer

Question -

I'm about 90% done with my Inquisition stuff. Mostly, I just need to write up some NPC's w/ fluff text, and the OCC's.

Would you rather I waited to complete it before putting it on my site, or would you rather I do a final edit and put up what I have without the game mechanic stuff?

I still plan on finishing it and posting the mechanic stuff later.

Return to “Nightbane®”