not meaing to I Ended up with a stupidly high powered game!!

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Had the whole "wolfen ranger" thing happen to me, not sure how it happened :? next thing i know he had near +12 strike with a long bow :shock: and about 8 ROF :( why is it always "wolfen rangers" ? the elves in my games never seem this good with a bow :oops:
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Rimmer: 'Cause Wolfen are naturally superior in all ways, duh! :-)

Original question: There is no need to scale up the power level of the individual foes already created, nor to reduce the power of the players. What there is a need for is a more complex and high power set of challenges overall. Allow the characters to smash up this enemy and feel good about it, give them some confidence, let them make a name. Have this be their jumping off point, and the beginning of their big adventures. This sort of action doesn't go unnoticed by powerful folks, and can be the perfect excuse to start the players down the path to a truely major campaign.

Some powerbrokers may try to recruit the players to go on insanely dangerous missions which, full of confidence, the players may accept without thinking about it. Other powerful beings will view them as rivals instead of wimps to be ignored, and they may suddenly begin facing true challenges from a new source. Nothing quite like coming to the realization that the squad of soldiers you met on the road, which is presently grilling you on anybody you may have seen, is actually searching for you!

There is nothing wrong with a powerful game, as long as it is powerful all around. Big rewards, but big consequences. Powerful allies, but powerful foes. If they want to ramp up the game, be waiting for them at the top. A well run power-game is a spectacle to behold, and a genuine thrill to play. Believe me, I know!
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Yes wolfen do ROCK ! :lol: have had a few sterotypical Elvish archers in my games that just gave up after seeing the Wolfen ranger in action !!! they just couldn't keep up with him.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

This may sound like a dumb question but were does it say the limit for a human physical strength is 30?

I know that roll is opened ended up to 30 when first rolling up attributes. If you rolled a 18 exceptional, 6 additional, 6 top end roll=30. But can't the skills in the physical training catagory push the PS higher? Or does it actually say somewhere in the books that I have overlooked that the maximum is 30?
Astroconch
D-Bee

Unread post by Astroconch »

The only place that has anything about limits is in the Conversion book. The limit for humans without magic enhanced str or superhuman str is 50 I think.
Long live the Travelers!

"Some things just aren't funny. Beatings aren't funny. Mimes
aren't funny. But beating a mime - why is that so hilarious?"
-- Dave Attell
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I would personally recommend raising the level of power of the bad guys, or perhaps increasing their levels by one or two.
Your basic plot need not change.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I don't see how you can have any problems with the party you listed so far.

of course i'm an avid Rifts player :lol:

but seriously, just apply the "rifts" plot. basically.... DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!! just flow with it. and make 'em use their noggins and not their bow.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

Also you may find that the rather powerful characters over look the powere of the wizards. If you throw in a mage for some of the combats, or say people with scrolls(if power lvl worries you make sure all the scroll are cast before the chars can get their hands on them) CoA, Magic net, Age, etc work wonders for taking thoughs nasty pluses away. And there are alway's curses. But yes the simplest thing to do would be just up the foes hp,sdc, pluses etc.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..Don't forget to use the optional damage tables; those negatives stack pretty fast. Maybe poking an eye out to get some permanant half-blind penalties would be good...

..And here's the adventure to put them in their places.

..Rumors of a powerful magic item, a wishing stone, a rune stone with mega-abilities, etc. reach the group. They go on a quest to find the stone, and along the way they easily defeat some minor foes, but the foes keep coming back somehow.

..When they find the stone the foes appear again and in a surprise attack just touch the characters; touching eachother they end up forming a chain of people and after a flash of light from the stone, suddenly the characters have traded bodies with the foes.

..So you get to roll up their attributes. The foes, in the superior bodies of the PC's knock them around a bit and then leave, with their equipment.

..Now that's how to treat a group of power mongers..

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, that's why you always watch players who are rolling up characters. Your average player is going to find it tough not to fudge some rolls and try to get away with something.

I figure you're the GM, it's your game, so you can dictate the power level. Anyone can min max a powerhouse, but running the game is the difficult part. They should realize you have something in mind and go with it instead of trying to "win" the game at level 1.

-Vek
"Or just have their success bite them in the tush later. There's always someone bigger and badder."

Unread post by Guest »

Two Words.

Zavor Outbreak.
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I don't see how you can have any problems with the party you listed so far.

but seriously, just apply the "rifts" plot. basically.... DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!! just flow with it. and make 'em use their noggins and not their bow.

Boo Rifts!

It's an over powered munchie hungry game.

Unread post by Guest »

Rpgpunk wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I don't see how you can have any problems with the party you listed so far.

Boo Rifts!

It's an over powered munchie hungry game.

I kinda have to agree.

I would buy Ultimate Rifts if it was a return to the older lower power, gritty feel of the time when the first book was the only one out.
Sentinel
Palladin

I have to echo Edges' sentiments.
I long for a return to the spirit and feel of the original Rifts game.

J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

As do I. I actually, briefly, enjoyed RIFTS back in those days. Then I made the mistake of buying some of the later books, and ruining everything :-P
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Sentinel
Palladin

There is some neat stuff in a lot of the later books, but there is just as much stuff to want to avoid.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”