Locations Palladium fears to Tread in BtS

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think the closet monster / under the bed monster sounds too silly for a real horror game.

That being said, there's some interesting posibilities in Nightbane, namely Dream Ghouls and Demonlings.

Incidently, the Boogeyman makes it into 2nd Edition/
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jefffar wrote:I think the closet monster / under the bed monster sounds too silly for a real horror game.

I disagree.
Cat's Eye, the Nightmare on Elmstreet movies, They, and any number of other decent horror movies worked with that concept.
And you can use faerie folk for it too, and they're terrifying!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

Here's a concept/summary for a BTS game:

The bed ITSELF is haunted. The bed originally belonged to a very wealthy person from ancient Russia. After an assassination (which took place IN the bed, with an evil lover), it was transferred to a wealthy Austrian Family. During the havoc of WW1, the bed fell into the victoried hands of a wealthy British family. Somehow, involving a blood debt, it was moved to the United States during the Cold War 50s. --NOTE that each "transfer" involved mysterious murders. Afterwards, the bed was purchased from an estate sale of a recently deceased military general during the 80s. Pain and death follow any and ALL who purchase this finely crafted bed. The bed itself is the psychic killer.
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Gallahan wrote:Here's a concept/summary for a BTS game:

The bed ITSELF is haunted. The bed originally belonged to a very wealthy person from ancient Russia. After an assassination (which took place IN the bed, with an evil lover), it was transferred to a wealthy Austrian Family. During the havoc of WW1, the bed fell into the victoried hands of a wealthy British family. Somehow, involving a blood debt, it was moved to the United States during the Cold War 50s. --NOTE that each "transfer" involved mysterious murders. Afterwards, the bed was purchased from an estate sale of a recently deceased military general during the 80s. Pain and death follow any and ALL who purchase this finely crafted bed. The bed itself is the psychic killer.

:lol:
I like it!

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Sightblinder wrote:Hey I read a story where there was an evil mattress that would try to "eat" those who slept on it...it started seeming really soft, then you realize that you are gradually deeper inside it, until it envelops you and you are never seen again...

I saw that bed at a Mattress Discounters.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Jefffar wrote:I think the closet monster / under the bed monster sounds too silly for a real horror game.

I beg to disagree. :D You guys should also check out the RPG Little Fears for a dark take on childhood horrors. Quite possibly the best game that I'll never feel comfortable running.

That being said, there's some interesting posibilities in Nightbane, namely Dream Ghouls and Demonlings.

And the Children of Domhain Dorcha. But I may be biased. :D

Incidently, the Boogeyman makes it into 2nd Edition/

Yeah. But I like my version better.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:

Oh, yeah?
In every childs room, in the center shadow benath the bed, lies the realm of the Gop. As a child sleeps, it slithers partialy out from a pocket dimension with ectoplasm dripping tentacles and the smell of terrified child-sweat. As it's victim begins to dream, the semi-tranparent tentacles slide up beneath the sheets and wrap around the child, secreting a halucinogenic sweat that conjures up the most primal fears of children, manifesting in a bad dream state oten refered to as a "Night-Terror". In older children and pre-teens, the fears are more complex and sometimes sexual in their nature, the Gop loves to find a child that has been physicaly, emotionaly or sexualy abused and take advantage of that additional fear and shame, on which it feeds like a psychic vampire whil the child is experiencing it's nightmare. While it is rare for the Gop to feed on adults, it is not unheard of; but an adults ability to control their emotions make them not so easily fed upon. And the Gop is a lazy predator.

yeah, entirely silly... sorry. :demon:
In case you were wondering, yes, I just now made this up.

Nice idea. 8-)

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

just because it can be made scary, it doesn't mean that lots of gamers out there will pick it up and read and say "A monster hidign under the bed? That's so silly and lame, I'm not buying this stuff" and put the book on the shelf (assuming the bookstore lets you look inside first)

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Gallahan wrote:Here's a concept/summary for a BTS game:

This will replace the whale in my nightmares.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

By the way guys, good work. Maybe you should write up a description of an encounter with your creations and toss it on Lazlo.

Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

Yeah Ash... Somehow we gotta fit killer clowns into this. :) Like in the movie Poltergeist. Wasn't that absolutely FREAKY!?

I haven't really explored the Lazlo site yet. It sounds interesting. I remember that in another post, a gamer said something about Palladium "borrowing" the name, and that there was a real Lazlo Agency that investigates the paranormal, and then brought up the potential for legal action or something. I don't remember which thread that was.

Going to have to go there, because I LOVE BTS, only I haven't gamed in a while because it's tough finding good gamers in a big city like Tampa when you have a full time job (graphic artist in the USAF), so Lazlo might be my only outlet besides this board and working on writing short stories and adventures on the side.
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

Check out this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0843950781/redirect-home/slcolibrary0f-20/002-9506481-1643201

One of his short stories is about a closet door that leads to a dimension full of carnivorous clothes. I don't remember a lot of the other stories, but they were pretty weird at times.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:

Oh, yeah?
In every childs room, in the center shadow benath the bed, lies the realm of the Gop. As a child sleeps, it slithers partialy out from a pocket dimension with ectoplasm dripping tentacles and the smell of terrified child-sweat. As it's victim begins to dream, the semi-tranparent tentacles slide up beneath the sheets and wrap around the child, secreting a halucinogenic sweat that conjures up the most primal fears of children, manifesting in a bad dream state oten refered to as a "Night-Terror". In older children and pre-teens, the fears are more complex and sometimes sexual in their nature, the Gop loves to find a child that has been physicaly, emotionaly or sexualy abused and take advantage of that additional fear and shame, on which it feeds like a psychic vampire whil the child is experiencing it's nightmare. While it is rare for the Gop to feed on adults, it is not unheard of; but an adults ability to control their emotions make them not so easily fed upon. And the Gop is a lazy predator.

yeah, entirely silly... sorry. :demon:
In case you were wondering, yes, I just now made this up.

But at least we now know why you don't like the Grand Old Party...

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Sightblinder wrote:
Atramentus wrote:Beds and closets and monster under them always makes me think of Tales From the Darkside where they had that one story about a girl renting a room from a kindly if quiet old man and how she was not supposed to open a particular closet. I won't spoil it, but the ending of that was pretty chilling.

I saw the movie, but I don't remember that part....

Probably just one of the TV episodes.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”