Military unit size question: company

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cap'n Nick
D-Bee

Military unit size question: company

Unread post by Cap'n Nick »

I used to have this information, but I don't anymore and I've been looking but to no avail. How large is an average company-sized unit? I'm asking on the rifts board because I know mercenaries has this information and so do some other books probably. Just a general idea of size would work. Thanks in advance.

nic
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Here is a good link for some stuff..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /intro.htm
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

TO&E Company (any)
HQ Section/Squad
Supply Section/Squad
4 Platoons
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I use a simple system. It's not representative of any military, but it's easy to remember and use.

A unit consists of 3 units of the next smaller size, plus a leadership element of that's two steps smaller. The leadership portion has the commander, first sergeant, comm tech, supply, etc...

-- A Fireteam equals 3 Riflemen, plus a PFC or Corporal leader. 4 total people.

-- A Squad equals 3 FireTeams, plus a single Squad Leader (a Corporal or Sergeant). 13 total people.

-- A Platoon equals 3 Squads, and a leadership FireTeam (a Lt, Sgt, and a couple of Corporals). 43 total people.

-- So a Company equals 3 Platoons, and a leadership Squad (a Capt, Lt, senior NCO, comm techs, support personell...). 142 total people.

And you can continue to build this system up as far as you want. It makes tactics simple, as you can easily adopt several formations with the 3 subunits. Also, the little bit of extra personell in the leadership units can be used to fill in gaps in the subunits as casualities occur (a Corp on the Company Leadership team fills in as a Squad leader, or whatever, as needed).

For mechanized forces, a suit of power armor equals 2 or 4 troops, and a Robot/Tank equals a Fireteam or Squad of infanty, depending on the vehicle. That makes it simple to just replace X troops with Y robots.

This ignores a lot of the support structure of a modern army, so at higher levels I'll just throw in an addition subunit of support personnel as needed.
Last edited by Mack on Wed May 04, 2005 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

In some militaries a company will also have a weapons platoon carrying the heavier weapons like ATGW or medium/heavy machineguns or light mortars and similar.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Re: Military unit size question: company

Unread post by Athos »

Cap'n Nick wrote:I used to have this information, but I don't anymore and I've been looking but to no avail. How large is an average company-sized unit? I'm asking on the rifts board because I know mercenaries has this information and so do some other books probably. Just a general idea of size would work. Thanks in advance.

nic

A company is usually 100-120 soldiers.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

wolfe wrote:nice Mack..
it also gets rid of all that excess paperwork -creating the support structure- you dont need unless you really want to delve into it..

Right. :ok:

We want to game, not become a planner in the Pentagon.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Speak for yourself. I applied for a job at the Department of National Defence's Policy Division.

Didn't get it, but I tried.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Rifts®”