Bullets

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Bullets

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Rolling Bear wrote:Are bullets like the Glitter Boy rounds or any other rail gun made out of MD material. I would think yes but reading the Glitter boy thread it seems some people just assume its regular material. I would think any SDC material no matter how fast it was going to would just stop once it hit an MD target.

I'm curious because wouldn't MD bullets be really really expensive? I don't know let me know what you think.

They're SDC metals, probably iron or steel.

As to why they inflict mega-damage, it's because they're travelling very, very, very fast.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

take 1 pound of iron.

accelerate it to 80% light speed.

put a glitter boy in the way. what happens?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:take 1 pound of iron.

Surely you don't think rail guns shoot projectiles at 80% the speed of light, do you?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Athos wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:take 1 pound of iron.

Surely you don't think rail guns shoot projectiles at 80% the speed of light, do you?

now. i'm demonstarting how the SDC hurting MDC works.

80% light speed would obliterate a glitter boy.

Mach 3 would damage it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Killer Cyborg wrote:They're SDC metals, probably iron or steel.

Do you have a cannon reference for that?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mack wrote:

I'm pretty sure I read Iron somewhere, I sure as hell can't remember where.

in any case it has to be magnetic, or else the electromagic rail guns wont' work. Iron is simply the cheepest and most common magnetic metal

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Mack wrote:

Since Tinker Dragoon saved me from looking it up...

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:so is there any Offical standard Railgun ammo anyway?

Yes. According to page 225 of the RMB, most rail guns fire "...metal spikes, balls, or rings..."

It goes on to say that the projectiles are "inexpensive to make and popular throughout the land."

So they're an inexpensive, magnetic metal.
Sounds like iron or steel to me.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

So it's inferred, not actually stated. This is an important distinction.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mack wrote:So it's inferred, not actually stated. This is an important distinction.

If you can think of an inexpensive, magnetic, MDC metal, you let me know...

If you're sitting there thinking that an SDC metal can't do MD, then keep in mind that Silver and Wooden railgun rounds inflict mega-damage.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mack wrote:So it's inferred, not actually stated. This is an important distinction.

If you're sitting there thinking that an SDC metal can't do MD, then keep in mind that Silver and Wooden railgun rounds inflict mega-damage.

Nope, not thinking that at all. Just that it's not an actual, cannon refernce.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rolling Bear wrote:What if you started using MD slugs instead of inexpensive metals? would that do more damage since its density is more superior already?

Probably not... it would have better penetration, but it wouldn't mushroom out as much.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Nope, not thinking that at all. Just that it's not an actual, cannon refernce.

Why's it matter?

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Why's it matter?

Some people need everything spelled out for them.
You understand that don't you?

*cough*making TW devices*cough* :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom III wrote:

Big difference.
With TW devices, there's no good reason to believe that PCs can invent new devices.
With railgun rounds, there's no good reason to believe that MDC metal would be used.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Because some posters (not pointing fingers here) confuse opinion with fact, and may mislead our newer brethern. That's why I always ask for book/page/cannon references.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mack wrote:

Because some posters (not pointing fingers here) confuse opinion with fact, and may mislead our newer brethern. That's why I always ask for book/page/cannon references.

So an answer of "There is no canon information directly spelling it out, but it is most likely the case that railgun rounds are SDC iron or steel" would do it for you?

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mack wrote:

So an answer of "There is no canon information directly spelling it out, but it is most likely the case that railgun rounds are SDC iron or steel" would do it for you?

Yes, exactly.

Maybe it's a side effect of where I work, but such distinctions are important.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tamaranis wrote:Would an MDC material actually be denser? Isn't the MDC armour the pinnacle of high strength and low weight? Because exceptionally heavy armour is the suck.

MDC alloy actually isn't very dence at all. it just has increadible molecualr bonds on the surface.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Tamaranis wrote:Would an MDC material actually be denser? Isn't the MDC armour the pinnacle of high strength and low weight? Because exceptionally heavy armour is the suck.

Generally speaking, you're right.
However, certain heavy metals like Uranium might also be considered mega-damage.

Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

I'd expect that boom gun rounds (or other rail gun ammunition) would be made of M.D.C. materials because this would provide the most effective penetration and damage potential. Although S.D.C. materials could inflict M.D. if moving fast enough, M.D.C. rounds would still be much more effective.
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Devari wrote:I'd expect that boom gun rounds (or other rail gun ammunition) would be made of M.D.C. materials because this would provide the most effective penetration and damage potential. Although S.D.C. materials could inflict M.D. if moving fast enough, M.D.C. rounds would still be much more effective.

More to the point, Mach 5 isn't fast enough to propel ordinary materials to do the extrordinary damage the Boom Gun does. Current tank rounds travel at or around Mach 5, have a lot more mass, and don't scatter.

Now if Boom Gun rounds travelled at Mach 15....
Killer Cyborg
Priest

BigLEE wrote:
Devari wrote:I'd expect that boom gun rounds (or other rail gun ammunition) would be made of M.D.C. materials because this would provide the most effective penetration and damage potential. Although S.D.C. materials could inflict M.D. if moving fast enough, M.D.C. rounds would still be much more effective.

More to the point, Mach 5 isn't fast enough to propel ordinary materials to do the extrordinary damage the Boom Gun does. Current tank rounds travel at or around Mach 5, have a lot more mass, and don't scatter.

The physics of Rifts is way messed up.
Forget that the BG rounds are supposed to go mach 5... or that they used to go mach 2.
The point is that Palladium pictures them as going REALLY fast... fast enough to inflict mega-damage.
But they're not physicists... they just pick a speed that sounds fast to them.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The point is that Palladium pictures them as going REALLY fast... fast enough to inflict mega-damage.
But they're not physicists... they just pick a speed that sounds fast to them.

:ok:
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mack wrote:

Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Yes. According to page 225 of the RMB, most rail guns fire "...metal spikes, balls, or rings..."

It goes on to say that the projectiles are "inexpensive to make and popular throughout the land."

Isn't cobalt harder than steel? If it is Cobalt is magnetic.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

BigLEE wrote:

You mean like the real railguns DARPA is working on.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:Isn't cobalt harder than steel? If it is Cobalt is magnetic.

So... Cobolt is only magnetic if it's harder than steel...?
:-D

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mack wrote:

Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Isn't cobalt harder than steel? If it is Cobalt is magnetic.

also rarer, harder to get, and sinse it's the speed more than anything not much better. besides, it's not common enough really to see widespread use, not cheep.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zerebus wrote:
Mack wrote:

Get it? Boom gun? Cannon? Ha!

:lol:

Good one!

:lol:

Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

It's likely that M.D.C. railgun ammunition doesn't cost much, since it's just magnetic pieces of M.D.C. metal. In Chaos Earth they mention that pre-Rifts highways were made of M.D.C. concrete, so presumably small pieces of M.D.C. metal would also be inexpensive.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Or rail gun rounds could be made of a SDC metal core (for magnetism) then surrounded by a MDC material (for hardness).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Devari wrote:It's likely that M.D.C. railgun ammunition doesn't cost much, since it's just magnetic pieces of M.D.C. metal. In Chaos Earth they mention that pre-Rifts highways were made of M.D.C. concrete, so presumably small pieces of M.D.C. metal would also be inexpensive.

In the Golden Age, yes.. MDC metal would be cheap.
In Rifts Earth, I highly doubt that it would be nearly that cheap.
If it was, then everybody and their dog would have MDC armor.

Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Devari wrote:It's likely that M.D.C. railgun ammunition doesn't cost much, since it's just magnetic pieces of M.D.C. metal. In Chaos Earth they mention that pre-Rifts highways were made of M.D.C. concrete, so presumably small pieces of M.D.C. metal would also be inexpensive.

In the Golden Age, yes.. MDC metal would be cheap.
In Rifts Earth, I highly doubt that it would be nearly that cheap.
If it was, then everybody and their dog would have MDC armor.

I think by "cheap" they mean relative to other weapons like mini-missiles and autocannon rounds. A mini-missile is made of M.D.C. materials, plus it also has explosives, electronics, a rocket engine and so on. Even an autocannon round is significantly more complicated than railgun ammo, since it carries explosives and uses some type of chemical propellant. So M.D.C. railgun ammunition would be much less expensive than any other type of ammo even though it would require the production of M.D.C. alloys. Iron Heart Armaments (which is described as having roughly 1960's-era manufacturing capabilities) can produce M.D.C. alloys using a relatively low level of technology, so it should be relatively simple for even basic industrial facilities in Rifts to produce M.D.C. railgun ammo.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Killer Cyborg wrote:If it was, then everybody and their dog would have MDC armor.

Wait a minute, according to everything printed after the RMB, everyone and there dogs do have armor! And their own SAM's! And GlitterBoys! :P
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

Mack wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:If it was, then everybody and their dog would have MDC armor.

Wait a minute, according to everything printed after the RMB, everyone and there dogs do have armor! And their own SAM's! And GlitterBoys! :P

What's worse is that everything that comes out of a rift doesn't even need armour, they're already M.D.C. creatures. I just got a copy of Coalition War Campaign, and even though I have trouble undestanding how the Coalition developed technology as advanced as Triax in the five years leading up to P.A. 105, I still think that M.D.C. equipment is much less of a problem than the O.C.C./R.C.C.s with natural M.D.C. armour.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Mack wrote:

Hell, I've got THREE references for ya.
1) As already pointed out by Tinker, Main Book, pg. 225, "A rail gun ... fires metal spikes, balls, or rings ..."

Note the term "metal". Not alloy, or composite materials, or wonder material X. Nope. Just common everyday metal. But there is a better reference that is less based on conjucture and more so on logic and solid reasoning.

2) WB:5 Triax & the NGR, pg. 141-142. Where it goes int how much damage DU-Rounds inflict there is a notation that says, "They typically do 25% more damage than a comparable standard metal cartridge."

Just like with the DU rounds fired from a contemporary tank, they hit harder than normal steel because they are made of a more dense material... that and they go really fast too. But normal rail gun rounds and DU rouds go equally fast, meaning that the only difference is the density of the materials they're made of. By the math and logic of NRG weapon, tey should be 25% harder than the material used to make "Standard Metal" rounds, and that puts them squarely in SDC-land.

3) I don't have my Vampire Kingdoms book handy, (so I can't give an exact page number) but I recall there being anti-vamp rail gun rounds made of silver that did half the noramal mega-damage on impact. There may have even been WOOD rounds (with metal cores) that also did MD when fired from a rail gun. Proof postitive that common SDC substances can inflict Mega Damage given sufficient force.

My best guess is that rail gun rounds are made from a high-carbon steel, possibly with a heavy lead core for added weight. That would enable them to maintain their shape at the hyper-sonic velocities they travel at and make them cheap to mass produce.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Isn't cobalt harder than steel? If it is Cobalt is magnetic.

I think it is. And I'm pretty sure it's also a little on the radioactive side too.

Mack wrote:Or rail gun rounds could be made of a SDC metal core (for magnetism) then surrounded by a MDC material (for hardness).

Sure, that's possible too. In fact that's the whole idea of a jacketed round. To give it extra strength so it stand up to the strain of super-fast velocities. So long as the economics work out (i.e. it better be a really cheap MDC jacket), I see no problem with that possibility.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:

HEY EVERYONE!! Rail gun rounds do not need to be magnetic just conductive. They are accelerated between two rails that have a pulse passed through them the pulse creates electromotive force in a single direction... normally out the end of the barrel (but what happens if you reverse the leads or the electricities flow, what will happen?). Now if your talking about a coil gun that weapons rounds would have to be magnetic.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:

Big difference.
With TW devices, there's no good reason to believe that PCs can invent new devices.
With railgun rounds, there's no good reason to believe that MDC metal would be used.

Why use MDC material? For the same effect as a discarding sabot round of an M1 Abrams. The round penetrates one side and sucks everything inside out the other side.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

:thwak: :thwak: :thwak: :thwak: rail gun ammunition doesn't have to be magnetic just conductive. Coilgun ammuntion has to be magnetic. Who says that MDC material has to be metal? Maybe the actual concrete is MDC. Maybe the entire highway system was constructed by laying down concrete and nanites to align the molecules into MDC structure.
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

:thwak: :thwak: :thwak: :thwak: rail gun ammunition doesn't have to be magnetic just conductive. Coilgun ammuntion has to be magnetic. Who says that MDC material has to be metal? Maybe the actual concrete is MDC. Maybe the entire highway system was constructed by laying down concrete and nanites to align the molecules into MDC structure.

The "railguns" in Rifts are really coilguns. Even if you look at the barrels, they're round, which implies a coilgun design. So the ammunition just needs to be magnetic, it doesn't need to conduct current between rails. Despite the fact that KS decided to call them "railguns", the weapons described in Rifts are actually coilguns.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Who says a railgun's barrel can't be round?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

Well, since a railgun design consists of two flat metal rails, the weapon barrel should have that same general shape. A coilgun, on the other hand, consists of a series of electromagnetic coils and would be expected to have a round barrel. You could always build a round housing around a railgun's barrel if you wanted to, but based on the appearance of the GB's boomgun and ammunition it seems obvious to me that the weapon is a coilgun. Also, the general description of Rifts "railguns" firing metal balls, spikes or rings tells me that these projectiles aren't designed to make contact with a set of rails and are just being electromagnetically accelerated.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Devari wrote:Well, since a railgun design consists of two flat metal rails, the weapon barrel should have that same general shape. A coilgun, on the other hand, consists of a series of electromagnetic coils and would be expected to have a round barrel. You could always build a round housing around a railgun's barrel if you wanted to, but based on the appearance of the GB's boomgun and ammunition it seems obvious to me that the weapon is a coilgun. Also, the general description of Rifts "railguns" firing metal balls, spikes or rings tells me that these projectiles aren't designed to make contact with a set of rails and are just being electromagnetically accelerated.

so in the end it's a distinction without a difference in the final result (MD acceleration).

forgive me if I don't particurally find this mislabel to be a problem.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:

Big difference.

Why use MDC material? For the same effect as a discarding sabot round of an M1 Abrams. The round penetrates one side and sucks everything inside out the other side.

It's not a question of WHY would somebody use MDC rounds.
It's a question of DO they use them.
And I've seen no evidence that railgun rounds are anything other than normal metal.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Devari wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

The "railguns" in Rifts are really coilguns. Even if you look at the barrels, they're round, which implies a coilgun design. So the ammunition just needs to be magnetic, it doesn't need to conduct current between rails. Despite the fact that KS decided to call them "railguns", the weapons described in Rifts are actually coilguns.

Gee so why do they refer to it as a railgun which is very different from a coilgun. I'd be able to agree either way if they just called them gauss rifles. Just because the barrel is round doesn't mean it's a coilgun. Show me where the description shows that it's a coil gun. I like how you say that the ammo JUST has to be magnetic and not conductive. There are many conductive elements and only three magnetic elements. So for inexpensive and easy to manufacture ammunition a railgun would be less expensive than a coilgun.
Last edited by Zer0 Kay on Tue May 03, 2005 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:so in the end it's a distinction without a difference in the final result (MD acceleration).

forgive me if I don't particurally find this mislabel to be a problem.

The distinction is relevant with regards to the type of ammo used. The type of ammo you'd use for a railgun needs to conduct electricity, while the type of ammo you'd use for a coilgun needs to be magnetic. I actually perfer the term "railgun" since this term is generally used in science fiction settings to refer to any type of electromagnetic accerlator. It was pointed out to me in another thread that what I tend to call a "railgun" is technically a "coilgun" however, so I've starting making the distiction because the two designs really work on different principles.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefffar wrote:Who says a railgun's barrel can't be round?

Zubb Zubb
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Gee so why do they refer to it as a railgun which is very different from a coilgun. I'd be able to agree either way if they just called them gauss rifles. Just because the barrel is round doesn't mean it's a coilgun. Show me where the description shows that it's a coil gun.

I'm convinced that they're actually coilguns because the projectiles are described as being different shapes (balls, spikes and rings) that wouldn't make good contact with rails, the description of how the Rifts railguns work doesn't mention rails at all, and the term "railgun" is often used to refer to any type of electromagnetic accerlator. There's nothing in the description to directly refute the idea that they're railguns, but their description makes them sound a lot more like coilguns.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Devari wrote:Well, since a railgun design consists of two flat metal rails, the weapon barrel should have that same general shape. A coilgun, on the other hand, consists of a series of electromagnetic coils and would be expected to have a round barrel. You could always build a round housing around a railgun's barrel if you wanted to, but based on the appearance of the GB's boomgun and ammunition it seems obvious to me that the weapon is a coilgun. Also, the general description of Rifts "railguns" firing metal balls, spikes or rings tells me that these projectiles aren't designed to make contact with a set of rails and are just being electromagnetically accelerated.

You do realise that a rail gun can fire rings , spikes or balls by using an armiture. The Boomgun's rounds are just as unlikely in a coilgun because the flechettes wouldn't be traveling down the center so it wouldn't work in a coilgun. The ring concept is also stupid for a coil gun because they'd have to be fired from a post rail. Try developing a loading system for that.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Devari wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Gee so why do they refer to it as a railgun which is very different from a coilgun. I'd be able to agree either way if they just called them gauss rifles. Just because the barrel is round doesn't mean it's a coilgun. Show me where the description shows that it's a coil gun.

I'm convinced that they're actually coilguns because the projectiles are described as being different shapes (balls, spikes and rings) that wouldn't make good contact with rails, the description of how the Rifts railguns work doesn't mention rails at all, and the term "railgun" is often used to refer to any type of electromagnetic accerlator. There's nothing in the description to directly refute the idea that they're railguns, but their description makes them sound a lot more like coilguns.

And I cover that. It's called an armiture.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mack wrote:

I'm pretty sure I read Iron somewhere, I sure as hell can't remember where.

in any case it has to be magnetic, or else the electromagic rail guns wont' work. Iron is simply the cheepest and most common magnetic metal

Wrong on the "railguns need magnetic projectiles" bit there.
In RL aluminum and copper are the most common metals used in the armature (piece of metal that slides between the rails) which is what actually accelerates the projectile.

Though with Rifts tech they would probably have something better... maybe some ceramic-aluminum-tungsten hybred alloy that would be MDC but that would be somewhat pointless because as you said it is the speed at which it moves that causes the damage not the hardness of the substance.

In the movie The Eraser where Gov. Arnold protects some hot scientist lady (was it Vivica Fox) the hand held railgus fired aluminum slugs at some fraction of the speed of light like 1/4 or 1/3 or some such...wicked fast any way you slice it. However I remember thinking to myself that if it were going that fast the air friction alone would vaporize the aluminum as soon as it left the barrel (or maybe even inside the barrel) which would be a good arguement for MDC slugs. They could be shot at higher velocity than normal aluminum without said varporization due to friction..... just some thoughts....
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”