You have what?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

You have what?

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

I'm curious how other GMs handle the following problem. Both magic item and imbued power catagories have the potential to be used by other power catagories. Anyone who finds/ kills the owner of a magic item is immidiately getting a whole slew of powers. An imbued character can get a serum that can be used by anyone and made by anyone letting the whole group get a slew of powers. Needless to say thats going to throw the PC to incredible hieghts of power.
So far the problems have been minimal in my capaigns but it seems its only a matter of time beofre it comes up in a real bad way. So far i've simply not used any magic item villians and the one imbued villian had a limited number of doses and deadly addiction. The other thought is to bump heroes who get the extra power to mega hero experience chart. What do you guys and gals think?
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

First off, not all magic items can be picked up by just anybody. Many have alignment restrictions. Generally PCs are opposite alignment from their foes. SOme might have other constraints as well. Like this ring will only work for pureblooded Chinese, or that magic sword will only work for those who speak fluent Latin.
Or, it might work perfectly, but then start making demands. LIke "you must go to such and such cavern and retrieve the blah blah blah..." or "I demand fancier surroundings, get us money that we might not live in such a craphead, mortal!" and if the guy refuses, he has a paperweight until he takes on this quest.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I would also point out that YOU ARE THE GM, that means GOD WORSHIPS YOU buddy(in your game wolds of course not IRL).
That means if you don't want x to gove them ANY POWERS whatsoever, even if by all rights it should, then guess what!?!?!

1)Scewing with Magic Items Characters:It doesn't do squat, and if you are looking for a reason, just use one that'a given.

2)SCEWING WITH THE IMBUED:
Just say that it won't work on that character because powers/magicks somehow contradicts it. Or that regardless of how it affected the previous user(s) that they character become madly addicted to it and thus stops bothering to use their special training or just uses the powers it's gives him and not his other abilities.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Most of my players are terrified to pick up Magic Items and Weapons that were previously unknown to them (I wonder why :angel: ).
As for Inbued potions, never underestimate the value of rolling for random side-effects and insanities and addictions whenever the formula is taken by someone other than the original intended.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Sir_Spirit wrote:I would also point out that YOU ARE THE GM, that means GOD WORSHIPS YOU buddy(in your game wolds of course not IRL).
That means if you don't want x to gove them ANY POWERS whatsoever, even if by all rights it should, then guess what!?!?!

1)Scewing with Magic Items Characters:It doesn't do squat, and if you are looking for a reason, just use one that'a given.

2)SCEWING WITH THE IMBUED:
Just say that it won't work on that character because powers/magicks somehow contradicts it. Or that regardless of how it affected the previous user(s) that they character become madly addicted to it and thus stops bothering to use their special training or just uses the powers it's gives him and not his other abilities.

This is my take on it as well. As a GM, you and you alone have the ultimate say-so in your campaign. If you want your players to be able to stack powers like that, there's nothing wrong with it. Just don't be surprised (or upset) if you have a bunch of uber-munchkins running around.

Personally I like Riko's response where if you pick up a magic item you can also pick up a whole lot of attitude (never thought about it before, but I suppose a magic item could have a true 'prima donna' personality). Usually when you have a Magic Weapon/Item character it's because the wielder and the weapon/item have bonded with each other and formed a 'link' that's not easily broken. Obviously if someone bonds with a magic weapon/item it's because he/she possesses certain qualities that others don't have (otherwise the weapon/item would be bonding with anyone who came along). It could easily be that the alignment/soul/body chemistry/aura of the PC who tries to claim it isn't compatible with the weapon/item.

But if you're a super and can't get the magic ring of power to work, you can at least take heart that while it's sitting uselessly on your finger it's not being claimed by a bad guy much more to the item's liking.

As for the imbued... well... bear in mind that super-serums are designed to give powers to those who have none. What happens when your body chemistry is altered by already having powers and you try to ingest the super-serum anyway?

Yes, it's possible that you'd gain additional powers. It's also possible that it triggers a metabolic breakdown that leaves you resembling Silly Putty (in body, thought, AND deed). At the very least it could induce intense pain, nausea, disorientation, drowsiness (don't operate heavy machinery), and so on.

On the other hand, what if doing so completely scrambled your powers temporarily? You could wind up with NO powers, or maybe even replacing your normal powers with a randomly rolled set?

For example, let's take "The Incredible Brick" a PC with APS: Stone and Supernatural Strength. Brick ingests Dr. Engvall's super-serum, only to find out that his vaunted Brick powers temporarily mutate into Holographic Memory Projection and Control Static Electricity! While this would only last for the original duration of the serum's designed effects, and it certainly wouldn't be lethal to the character (provided he didn't immediately charge into combat), Brick would certainly think twice about chugging any more serum.

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies as "Screwing With The Imbued." :lol:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Sentinel
Palladin

"Just say "no" to imbued powers, kids."

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I would allow minor magical weapons like those available to Immortals be used by most power classes. I would even allow a PF, or Rifts style Rune weapon for most chracters since they can bond to gods or demon lords. It just wouldn't be easy to get.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Uncle Servo
Champion

Sentinel wrote:"Just say "no" to imbued powers, kids."

Can you imagine the PSA? Picture yourself watching TV one night:

"This is The Incredible Brick. Once he was the strongest member of the Metro City Champions. Then he got greedy -- he stole Green Commando's power-giving super-serum and tried it on himself. Now his only ability is to create holograms and give people 'joy-buzzer' shocks."

"Don't let THIS happen to you. Check with your doctor before ingesting any over-the-counter super-serums."
Sentinel
Palladin

That was funny.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Magic Item: if given a proper story instead of just saying oh I got his nifty thing in a box delivered one night by a mysterious stranger then the problem solves itself; blood line, ritual bonding, etc

Imbued: really are just crack addicted experiements. But the power imbuing substance can be negated by pre existing powers. If none exist the Pills could work on specific people like it states in the book like family or people specific genetic markers
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Sentinel
Palladin

Never underestimate the possibility of an Imbuing Serum being part of a really bad batch.

"Be smart: Check the labels"

Uncle Servo
Champion

Sentinel wrote:Never underestimate the possibility of an Imbuing Serum being part of a really bad batch.

Yeah, you really don't want to use a serum that's past its expiration date. ;)
Sentinel
Palladin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Never underestimate the possibility of an Imbuing Serum being part of a really bad batch.

I wonder if Hank Pym and Reed Richards carefully label their chemicals?
Maybe that was Hank Pyms' problem...

Uncle Servo
Champion

Sentinel wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:

"WARNING: USE OF THIS PRODUCT MAY RESULT IN SHRINKAGE."

:lol:
Sentinel
Palladin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:

"WARNING: USE OF THIS PRODUCT MAY RESULT IN SHRINKAGE."

:lol:

Then why am I 59.76 feet tall?!?!?
I have a headache >this< big.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”