Equipment, Weapon Lists & Stuff

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Unkledak wrote:Heres an idea, how about a BTS2 GM's guide. God knows there needs to be one to make up all of the missing data.

A better solution might just be to rewrite the Compendium books to use the Megaversal system. It would be useful for all of the modern-day, S.D.C. games (HU, BTS, N&SS... ATB as well I guess).
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Jason Richards wrote:
Unkledak wrote:Heres an idea, how about a BTS2 GM's guide. God knows there needs to be one to make up all of the missing data.

I like the GMGs thus far, so I could go for this.

A better solution might just be to rewrite the Compendium books to use the Megaversal system. It would be useful for all of the modern-day, S.D.C. games (HU, BTS, N&SS... ATB as well I guess).

I go with this idea 110%, and no penalties.
I'd like to see all the games become SDC, with Mega-damage becoming the set of optional rules.
(in a perfect world, N&SS would be the Palladium standard for HtH combat, and MDC would be the red-headed step child of Palladium).
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Sentinel wrote:(in a perfect world, N&SS would be the Palladium standard for HtH combat, and MDC would be the red-headed step child of Palladium).

Amen!
:ok:
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Natalya wrote:
Sentinel wrote:(in a perfect world, N&SS would be the Palladium standard for HtH combat, and MDC would be the red-headed step child of Palladium).

Amen!

N&SS combat is good, but I don't know that it works in Rifts, BTS, or other games that have lots of "powers" and stuff. It has some of the same problems as other systems in switching between hand-to-hand and modern combat. It's been a while since I played N&SS, but somebody with Tae Kwan Doe (4 attacks) can shoot a gun twice as many times as somebody with like... Taido (2 attacks) right? At least in other games pretty much everyone has the same base number of attacks (though still an imperfect system).
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Jason Richards wrote:
Natalya wrote:

Amen!

N&SS combat is good, but I don't know that it works in Rifts, BTS, or other games that have lots of "powers" and stuff. It has some of the same problems as other systems in switching between hand-to-hand and modern combat. It's been a while since I played N&SS, but somebody with Tae Kwan Doe (4 attacks) can shoot a gun twice as many times as somebody with like... Taido (2 attacks) right? At least in other games pretty much everyone has the same base number of attacks (though still an imperfect system).

Actually, it works well in games with powers and stuff.
I've always combined HU and N&SS, and to good success.
As far as attacks per round, sure, Tae Kwon Do has more than Taido, but Taido gives Chi Powers. Shaolin is a little tougher than Chin 'Na, but with Chin 'Na you get Atemi abilities.
The problems in switching from HtH to ranged/modern combat are no different than for, say, a Hyperion Juicer having more shots than a Vagabond, as well as having better HtH skills. In other words, N&SS doesn't create the problem: the problem exists in the mechanics.

Once again, Sentinel calls for One Megaverse: One set of Rules.
Good rules, ones that work.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Very few long term players of any game system, but particularly Palladium don't have a bunch of hosue rules.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread post by Guest »

Jason Richards wrote:
Natalya wrote:

Amen!

Ironically, N&S already has a system in place that makes much more sense than using HTH attacks to determine how well you can shoot with a gun, it just isn't applied to modern weapons combat. I use the ROF system established by the ancient missile weapon W.P.s instead of HTH attacks for modern weapons. It adapts easily and makes sense to use.
Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

Just use the product they have published for ease and simplicity. I mean, heck, there are WHAT dozens of games out there that could use the SAME book of weapons? Instead of putting bits and pieces of that book into core books, why not have us get copies of the supplement? If you use them, fine: here it is. If you don't, then fine: we used the pages to focus on the INTENT of your core book, not silly, stupid, foolish weapons. I mean, if you can't run a game without resorting to a book to tell you what a round from an assault rifle might do when it hits one of your PCs in the eye... then the real issue isn't rules, it's GM-ing. I don't direct towards anyone person; those "you's" out there are the generic variety.
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Gallahan wrote:Just use the product they have published for ease and simplicity. I mean, heck, there are WHAT dozens of games out there that could use the SAME book of weapons? Instead of putting bits and pieces of that book into core books, why not have us get copies of the supplement? If you use them, fine: here it is. If you don't, then fine: we used the pages to focus on the INTENT of your core book, not silly, stupid, foolish weapons. I mean, if you can't run a game without resorting to a book to tell you what a round from an assault rifle might do when it hits one of your PCs in the eye... then the real issue isn't rules, it's GM-ing. I don't direct towards anyone person; those "you's" out there are the generic variety.

In my opinion, you're sounding rather like an apologist. Moreover, while I'm glad you seem to be enjoying BTS2, when you essentially call people who need stats for a game bad GMs, you're at once insulting others and engaging in RPG snobbery. That's bad for everyone, so I would advise against such posts.

Keep in mind that not every GM plays in a narrativist style. If we were, there are better suited systems for that than Palladium's. Palladium's ruleset, with its roots in AD&D, is very gamist in nature and a sizable number of players run it in that manner. Given that, when key elements of a game are left out, especially when the games are called "complete" or "stand alone," I think it's quite reasonable to call the company to task on it.

Whether Kevin wants to make everyone buy the Compendium of Modern Weapons if they want such equipment in their game is his choice. In an age where a greater number of titles are being purchased sight-unseen, however, he needs to make that known up front.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Actually, I wrote Kevin a letter and called him on that.

It's not that he wants us to buy more books (well he does, but that's not why there is no equipment list in BTS-2) its because eh wanted to throw in a lot of new ideas into the BTS-2 product line. To get them all in there he had to go to 3 books and drop the gear section from the first book.

Seeing as the new game is designed to be driven by the character's abilities and thinking rathr than gear, the loss of the equipment section in the main book is not really a handicap.

Now staggering the books out so far, yeah, that I have a beef with and he knows it.

Oh, moral of the story, write Kevin a letter and he will respond. He even likes it when you criticize him, provided you do it politely and offer suggestions on how to improve.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”