Character Deaths

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Most of the people I play with are good RPGers. When they die, and the campaign is still going on, the spend some time making up a new character and hope to get back in.

But I have played with the real whiners. They seem to get too attatched to their characters and feel it as a personal insult when they die. It's just a game people! I have a graveyard (my tribute) to fallen characters. That's a great idea!....nevermind...just me rambling.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I haven't had a character die in a long time, but I recall being disappointed, yet wanting to move on and generate a new character.
I have "killed" several characters in my GM career, to a variety of responses, some downright childish (which might say something about how and why the character died).
I kill my own NPCs for story impact, and usually get some strong PC responses. In one case, I've had players conspire to resurrect an NPC that they liked.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I have had few of my characters die. One came very, very close {and became a 'borg}.
On the other hand, every now and then I have killed other PCs if their actions offended my charater's, and as GM a few of my players' characters have been killed.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

funny story. I had a Hyperion Juicer PC i was playing. When It came my turn to GM, he became an NPC who basically just stood in the background and helped out during battles.
At the tail end of the adventure I was running, everyone was trying to escape a Mechanoid factory before it exploded and collapsed into a ravine. We almost made it out, but some Thinmen decided to take parting shots at everybody. Nobody was hit except my Juicer. What was he hit with? a Natural 20. What was left of him? not much.
a total rip-off that i went through the whole adventure throwing mechanoid after mechanoid at the PC group and the only one who bought it was MY character. :-(
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Character Deaths

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

fenrir wrote:I personally in a campainge have not had a fellow character die because of the GM( and my own playing skills).

What i would like to know is have your or some fellow players character die and how did you or the fellow player handel it.

I can get pissed off when my characters die, but not if it was my own fault.
In a AD&D campaign, I worked a character from 1st level all the way to 14th level, then he got his brain eaten by a Mind Flayer due to a bad roll.
It ticked me off a little, but that's how things go.
What really ticked me off is that the only party member to survive the battle was invisible and could have easily dragged one or more of our corpses back to the surface for revival... we had enough wealth to pay to get everybody raised...
But instead he screwed around in the dungeon and got himself killed.
That pissed me off royally!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I personally have not had any of my characters die, although I have found I get rather down, or sad when even an NPC dies. I was in a game and I was just playing in character (My first time being evil) and I shot him in the head, and he died... not long after I started regretting killing the NPC and started taking it pretty hard, turns out though that the GM was doing a back in time story thing anyways, So that's giving me an opportunity to go back and make things right... I have a whole plan for that, but I won't say that here or now.

As far as players goes... lesse... I've had one guy die because he didn't know when to stop going. He just kept fighting and jumping off of buildings (Used to D&D where you can recover health just by resting) And eventually just put himself into a coma. Then he starts calling me a killer GM and that it wasn't fair and all that crap.

Another character sacrificed himself... or claims thats what it was... he took it fine.

all in all, I have my share of whiners, I have the people who get dissapointed for like 5 seconds and are like... hey! I've got another character idea!, and then I've got the people who just get tired of their characters so the intentionally kill them.

I think if my character died... it would all depend. I wouldn't be happy, (I wrote up that 3 page backstory because I planned on playing my character for a while) but I don't think I'd throw a fit. Hey... life's not fair.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Maybe we take RPing too seriously..........Naaaaah!
The Phoenix is Coming!

Return to “Rifts®”