Design notes and news about BTS 2

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Design notes and news about BTS 2

Unread post by AlexM »

During the creation of BTS 2, Kevin, Wayne Smith and I had discussions about certain aspects of game play. The quickest way to deal with a monster is to kill it, but that would make for short game sessions. That was why the world was as closely modeled to our own as possible.

Think of the movies Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy. The main character not only had the bad guys to worry about but the police. He never knew when he would be attacked by an enemy, but if a shooting or explosion or even a fistfight in a public place occurred, it would certainly draw in the police no matter which country he was in. Better to dispatch an enemy behind closed doors where no one could see.

The monsters also had to have a background and reasons for doing what they were doing. That was why the question was raised: "Why couldn't a powerful supernatural being just enter an office building and kill hundreds of people?" The book answers that question in a plausible way. It also fits in with folklore about supernatural beings. I have read a great number of supposedly real encounters with supernatural beings and the book does mimic how they "actually" work. And I have spoken to people who claim to have actually seen ghosts. Something is going on out there folks. What exactly, I do not know.

Right now the groundwork is being laid for the Tome Grotesque and Arcanum source books. And to quote Kevin: "I haven't seen such excitement about a new RPG from Palladium since Rifts." And we've been getting calls, e-mails and letters from fans telling us they think the book is great. Our sales and talks with our distributors confirm that this game is very popular. We have also had impressive online sales of the softcover edition and pre-orders have been coming in for the hardcover gold edition which ships February 10th. The hardcover edition includes specially commissioned end sheets by artist Mike Dubisch, and is signed and numbered by Kevin Siembieda and Mike Dubisch.

I hope you enjoyed reading this look behind the scenes.

Alex Marciniszyn,
Editor
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I think you guys did a great job and its now my favorite book by Palladium. :D

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Haven't read "Monsters Among Us..." I've just spent a lot of years reading strange but true types of books. Which can be a lot scarier since most of these things "actually" happened. UFOs, cattle mutilations, monster sightings, sea serpents, "mothman," various conspiracies, etc.

Alex M
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Shawn Merrow wrote:I think you guys did a great job and its now my favorite book by Palladium. :D

Thanks Shawn.

Alex M
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Zerebus wrote:Any chance the Arcanum and the Tome Grotesque will be released as hard bound editions to match the hard bound Beyond the Supernatural?

Dude, that would rock.
Insert 400 character limit here.
Avenger
Wanderer

Unread post by Avenger »

AlexM wrote:Haven't read "Monsters Among Us..." I've just spent a lot of years reading strange but true types of books. Which can be a lot scarier since most of these things "actually" happened. UFOs, cattle mutilations, monster sightings, sea serpents, "mothman," various conspiracies, etc.

Alex M

Hmm, what they say about cattle mutilations?
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Zerebus wrote:Any chance the Arcanum and the Tome Grotesque will be released as hard bound editions to match the hard bound Beyond the Supernatural?

No. The simple reason being to keep the price affordable. Our research shows that most people would rather not buy a book twice unless it's a main rule book.

Alex M
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Avenger wrote:
AlexM wrote:Haven't read "Monsters Among Us..." I've just spent a lot of years reading strange but true types of books. Which can be a lot scarier since most of these things "actually" happened. UFOs, cattle mutilations, monster sightings, sea serpents, "mothman," various conspiracies, etc.

Alex M

Hmm, what they say about cattle mutilations?

There are two theories: some kind of secret government project, or aliens.

Alex M
Avenger
Wanderer

Unread post by Avenger »

AlexM wrote:
There are two theories: some kind of secret government project, or aliens.

Alex M

The most likely theory I've heard was the govt testing for long range effects of nuclear weapon radiation.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

2nd Ed. BtS is definitiely one of the better releases from Palladium in some time.
The setting is great, PCCs are engaging, overall good job, minor complaints notwithstanding.
I wish Palladium would put this much effort into N&SS, the red-headed step child of Palladium. Some of my favorite games involved 1st ed N&SS and 1st ed BtS.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I agree about the subtlety thing being a good aspect. My Society Perssona is a Ghost Hunter, just because I felt it would be an interesting personality for a poster on the boards. But when i think about the game, the use of heavy combat would have to be kept to a minimum, because its only so long before the characters get found by the police, arested and either imprisoned or committed.

Now if you are playing as a part of an elite anti-SN government task force . . .
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Zerebus wrote:
AlexM wrote:

No. The simple reason being to keep the price affordable. Our research shows that most people would rather not buy a book twice unless it's a main rule book.

Alex M

I can understand that. How small a printing can you run, though? Maybe you could sell hard bound bundles at conventions as a niche product? Just a thought. I can understand where there wouldn't be many buyers willing to spend $150 on three hardbound RPG books.

We could print 100 copies. And our previous gold hardcovers and other books have become collector's items. I collect books myself, and I'm reluctant to spend $50 or more on one. In trying to look at it from the average fan's perspective. I wouldn't want anyone to feel "forced" to buy books just to complete their collections.

Alex M
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Will the classic Boxed Nightmares be getting a 2nd ed facelift?
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”