What setting have you chosen...

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eddie Focus

What setting have you chosen...

Unread post by Eddie Focus »

Well I got my copy of BTS 2nd Edition and I got to say I love it... totally exceeding my expectation and well worth the wait... I've been out of the loop in RPG's for a long time, guess I just ran out of steam. BTS always was in the back of my head though and now that I got it I'm ready to get back into the GM role full steam... I am pretty set on my first Adventure for the players but I was just curious as to what kind of setting is your campaign...

I was thinking of creating a fictitious town brimming with supernatural events... even started sketching out a map... almost like an eerie indiana with gore... something small to start out with and then as the characters grow in level branch out...

But anyhow... what kind of backround setting do you find works best... and how do you start off your adventures... ? I was thinking of creating phony front page newspaper headlines and have the players go off of that... or do you have them assignes cases like superspies or law enforcement...? The possibilities are driving me crazy... I cant wait to begin... but they still need to role up their characters... which sucks... but it's life... lol
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, if my BTS-2 campaign comes off like my BTS-1 campaigns, there will probably be a wandering group of investigators/debunkers/eliminators.

Basically it will be like Scooby-Doo with less drugs, more guns and real monsters instead of bad costumes.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread post by Guest »

Mine will be X-files meets The Thing meets Third Rock from The Sun.

or something like that.

I just know me and my girlfriend will start off playing characters named (or codenamed) Mully and Sculder.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jefffar wrote:Well, if my BTS-2 campaign comes off like my BTS-1 campaigns, there will probably be a wandering group of investigators/debunkers/eliminators.

Basically it will be like Scooby-Doo with less drugs, more guns and real monsters instead of bad costumes.

You should throw guys in costumes at them sometime.
It's hysterical!

Then, a few adventures later, put some monsters into the adventure who wear monster costumes.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

My team of 4 Paranormal investigators use the cover of Journalists woking for a internet news page call the Nightly Moon.
psijudge
D-Bee

Unread post by psijudge »

I am working on an idea called S.N.I.P.E. Hunt, SuperNatural Investigations Paranormal Experts.

A "Reality" show investigating haunted houses. Sort of like Ghost Hunters. The characters will start out as low level investigators, they have seen some things, but not a lot. They have been able to explain everything that happens in the show, but their friends consider them sell outs.

Unread post by Guest »

lmfao@Monsters wearing Monster costumes!

Im using that!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

My first real use of BtS was to combine it with N&SS (Mystic China hadn't been written at the time). It was a lot of fun, and the players had a great itme fighting cultists, ninja clans, spirit entities, and at one point a Wolfen Arcanist and a Tectonic entity.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Mine is going to be a polturgeist: the leagacy meets x-files meets Friday the 13th: the TV Series. With some Tomb Raider and a bit of Relic Hunter.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

pblackcrow wrote:Mine is going to be a polturgeist: the leagacy meets x-files meets Friday the 13th: the TV Series. With some Tomb Raider and a bit of Relic Hunter.

So 1 part supernatural, 1 part conspiracy, 1 part blood and guts and 2 parts T&A?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:I start them off in a real world place, and them take them to spookyville slowly and subtlely, next thing they know, they are on the one way elevator to hell.

New Orleans during the winter. Definatly lots of snow on the ground.

Something like New Orleans meets storm of the centery.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Well, this isn't BtS...in fact, it's a BESM game I've run once and will be restarting soon. It's basically Gunsmith Cats meets Bubba Ho-tep. Set in a west Texas border town, it's basically gun-toting two-fisted adventurers versus the forces of darkness, with a Mexican/Southwestern flavor. More supernatural action than true horror, although the player characters are supposed to start the game without a clue about anything paranormal.

Border Town
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

Are you familiar with DEADLANDS? Most likely since it's one of the most original RPGs to come out for some time.

Run a wild west version of BTS!!! Just get some "wild west" magazines and books and movies. Do some "wild west" internet research.

Read H.P. Lovecraft.

Run your game!!! It will be TONS OF FUN: watch The Adventures of Brisco Couny Jr. if they're availble. Hooah!

:-P :lol: 8-) :P 8) :-x :oops: :x :lol: :eek:
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
Gallahan
Adventurer

Hmmm... Let's see... If I remember correctly, Louis Lamour (sp?) is supposed to be a GREAT western writer, and I even bought his book Haunted Mesa, but haven't read it yet. However, if you just watch some classic westerns and combine those lessons with truly horrific H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulu; Color Out of Space; et al) then you'll be okay. I don't think many movies (good ones) were made from his work. The movies Tremors, if applied to a Wild West setting, would be a GREAT "Deadlands" styled campaign.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

if you don't understand it, you don't watch enough tv
... iI'm trying to do a bit of Tomb raider meets Burn Cycle Meets First Wave.
Gallahan
Adventurer

Hey, I'm thinking about this one:

MAJOR PAYNE meets GHOSTBUSTERS meets THREE AMIGOS meets TWIN PEAKS and NORTHERN EXPOSURE

Woo hoo!

A retired drill instructor nega-psychic with a high pitched voice meets oddball paraspychologist who likes to seduce female cellists. They go to Alaska, where the team is rounded out by misplaced New York doctor/psychic and straight-laced yet empathic FBI agent and are attacked by a giant form of marshmallow clown near Fairbanks. Mix in a "northern lights" mystery, dinner cruise, run-away animal hoist during a dairy convention protest and I think we might have some adventure!

:lol:
Bill Scott

Unread post by Bill Scott »

I think I'm going to like being part of this group

ash_wednesday wrote:I was thinking of starting off as the group are bounty hunters who have now knowledge in the supernatural and gets expose to the supernatural because of a "job". They were hunting a guy who turns out to be a mage. And go from there.

This is similiar to how I started my first Modern campaign. The difference is that the baddie was a vampire who acted like a mage. Then I leaked to the players, through roleplaying a npc, that the 'mage' had a twin brother
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

A College some where,thats where a few cluts go to get new members.

The majorty of the people do not known that libra College is home to 5 different Cluts who are Rivals for 75 years.

This is where my Player group come in as the Intrique Club,the group have 9 members ther from Dr Parker,s high school for Trouble Youngsters,In secret the School helps teen who meet the superatural and train young psychics in dealing with and controling ther powers.

I will give more info later.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”