Upping Firepower

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Like?

yes.
59%
no.
28%
Mu. (I'll explain below)
14%

Total votes: 29

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Upping Firepower

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Another thing I've thought for quite a while is that the breath weapons of Dragons are all pretty sorely lacking.
Solution?

Allow them to make bursts or sprays with their breath weapon.
Instead of using up extra ammo, it simply means that they can't breath fire again for a certain time.
Short Burst would do x2 damage, and the dragon couldn't use his breath for the next two attacks.
Long Burst does x5 damage and the breath can't be used for the next 6 attacks
"Full Clip" burst would do x7 damage and would render the breath weapon inoperable for either 1 full melee round or the dragon's next 9 attacks (whichever is LONGER).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

When the books first came out, hatchling dragons breath weapons were OK. If they were a little weak, well it was only a baby.

When I saw the stats for adults in CB1 I couldn't believe that they did the same damage as hatchlings, so I made a house rule that adult dragons breath weapons did whatever damage they listed in the book times 10. (IE. An adult fire dragon does 6d6x10 with its breath weapon, rather then just 6d6.) this seems to work pretty well in my games, but I like your idea too KC. I think I'll try it out. :D
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I have always taken the adult dragons' fire breath up by 2d6 per level. I like KCs' idea, but to be honest, I had just concentrated on the magic attacks and not thought much about the fire breath aside from my level advancement.
I'll have to give this a try and see how it works for me.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

K20A2_S wrote:Dragons shouldn't depend on their breath damage for survival.

agreed, but they shouldn't get 'flame envy' when they see a guy with a C-29 either...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Kalinda wrote:

agreed, but they shouldn't get 'flame envy' when they see a guy with a C-29 either...

touche
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Zerebus wrote:I think it really does depend on the dragon.

Part of the problem is that the breath weapon damages were set before weapon powercreep settled in to bring us our current standards in MD.

And besides... do you really want to give a Hydra the ability to use true burst fire with a deathwind breath attack?

It has little to do with power creep, by the original main book rules most weapons could do more damage with a burst than a hatchling's breath attack, the only advantage was that a dragon did not have to reload.

Anyway i think the real problem is that we all expected adult dragons breath attack to be much bigger than that. The only one that goes up is the great horned, up to 6d6 to equal a fire dragon.
I always ruled that a hatchling dragon could hit 2-6 targets at once with a breath attack, so maybe the bursting type rules could work.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Upping Firepower

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Another thing I've thought for quite a while is that the breath weapons of Dragons are all pretty sorely lacking.
Solution?

Instead of using up extra ammo, it simply means that they can't breath fire again for a certain time.
Short Burst would do x2 damage, and the dragon couldn't use his breath for the next two attacks.
"Full Clip" burst would do x7 damage and would render the breath weapon inoperable for either 1 full melee round or the dragon's next 9 attacks (whichever is LONGER).

this is. . .

Killer Cyborg, I agree Dragons need to be able to do more damage. but when I heard doing a "full clip" burst with a dragons flame, I felt a pain deep within my heart.

please find another way :(
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Another thing I've thought for quite a while is that the breath weapons of Dragons are all pretty sorely lacking.
Solution?

this is. . .

Killer Cyborg, I agree Dragons need to be able to do more damage. but when I heard doing a "full clip" burst with a dragons flame, I felt a pain deep within my heart.

please find another way :(

:lol:
Sure... just allow short and long bursts if you don't like the Full-Clip (Full-lung?) burst... Or only allow that attack for Adults.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

And they don't.
They depend on their high MDC, their regeneration, and their teleportation powers for survival.
But there's no reason not to depend on their breath attack as a primary weapon for killing things.

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Sorry, but after reading this tread i am getting mental pictures of MDC marshmallows :?
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Rimmer wrote:Sorry, but after reading this tread i am getting mental pictures of MDC marshmallows :?
:lol:
Well at the moment that's all you can really do with a dragons' breath attack.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Solution?

OK, at first I balked at this. The idea of allowing a breath weapon to fire a burst seemed a little stupid. But by the end of the string, I got it. Using the Burst Rules as a framework to enhance their effectiveness now seems to me as a great idea to give them that little boost they need to compete on the battelfield in Rifts circa 109 PA. Its a more dangerous world and unlike the tech in it, they haven't creeped.

Good thinking there, KC. :ok:
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]

Return to “Rifts®”