A Rifts FAQ resolution book.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Would you buy this?

Yes.
52%
No.
48%

Total votes: 27

Jesterzzn
Champion

A Rifts FAQ resolution book.

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Okay, we have all seen the debates. We have argued to breathless frustration, at home and on the boards. We have resolved one problem only to see it spring up again and again with minor cosmetic changes. I say it does not have to be this way! I say that resolution can be had!

The question is simple:

If Palladium released an official supplement (not Rifter) of FAQ answers with detailed analysis, and examples of implementation, would you buy it?

These answers would be official and serve as cannon explanation to some of the most hotly disputed topics. These answers would contain as much elaboration as is possible, and would leave no doubt as to the reason for the ruling.

Lastly the book would have the stamped seal of approval from KevSim.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Re: A Rifts FAQ resolution book.

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Zerebus wrote:Isn't this the GM Guide?

I wish. For me the Gms guide was little more than a list of equipment and skills. So little is devoted to actual game mechanics, that its raising more questions rather than solve them.

The perfect format for me would be this:

Q: Specific question about game play.

A: Answer given in one or two concise sentences, followed by a detailed explanation and a couple examples.

Some questions may take a paragraph, others a page. As long as the description is detailed and final, I would be satisfied.
Last edited by Jesterzzn on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

You'd think...
But it turns out that the GM's Guide is just a compilation of equipment.

Maybe the rules will be in the Equipment Guide...?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Jesterzzn wrote:If Palladium released an official supplement (not Rifter) of FAQ answers with detailed analysis, and examples of implementation, would you buy it?

I don't think so, unless it happened to be included in a X-Mas Bag or somesuch. It seems to me that if a game has enough errata and unanswered questions of such importance that it merits a book dedicated to them, that game is in serious need of a new edition.

I'm fond of many of Palladium's efforts, but what you're suggesting is a crutch resulting from something that's broken. I don't want to support that kind of product. It's bad form, not to mention an embarrassment.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Before the GMG there were these funny things called Source Books that had some FAQs printed in them. Wonder if there going to do any more Indexes?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I'd buy it, if only to have all the answers to the questions in one place, and not have to remember which Errata or FAQ was in what book at any given time.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

That's stuff for the web, not a book, imo.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

i know how to run my own games.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

No I wouldn't buy it. Like maasenstodt said if there's that much stuff then a new edition is needed.

And yeah I think a new edition of Rifts is needed.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Abso-fricken-lutely... yes I would buy it.
As far as new stupid rules go... I say scrap em and just stick to the good ol rules in the main book.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points

Unread post by Guest »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

You'd think...
But it turns out that the GM's Guide is just a compilation of equipment.

Maybe the rules will be in the Equipment Guide...?

An incomplete compilation at that. Several skills, weapons, and other odds and ends are actually missing from the book.

Unread post by Guest »

gadrin wrote:and the GMG had errors as well.

I think you're dreaming. wake up, wake up!

I know I wouldn't buy it unless KS name was on the cover and it states these are his rulings, since they've had so called "experts" do this before and it turned out terrible.

Sorry, I gotta reprint this:

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Personally, I'd rather see Palladium hire a professional staff of editors and the most anal-retentive rules lawyers they can find to give all of their books a complete overhaul while Kevin's on at least a years vacation.

I wouldn't buy it WITH KS's name on the cover and it stated those are his rulings, unless the above is what had happened.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Why wouldn't I buy this....because it would give Rules Lawerys more riberish to throw around.

And it couldn't be a Book...it would have to be 14 three ring binders.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

NOt being a rules lawyer I wouldnt' buy the book.
I think that palladium deliberately writes things in an unclear fashion to allow you to decode for yourself and your games how you want to interpet the rules. So if they actually did that they would NOT be PB anynmore and would have "sold out" IMO. And thus I would leave PB forever....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I may buy that book, especially if it had detailed vehicle combat rules, that were coherant and made sense, as well as complete lists of all the penalties for shooting.
I would buy a book that had several sets of complete house rules as well. Sorta like the patches you can get for computer games or software, this would have detailed notes on how to change to a 1MDC=10SDC system and the AR and PV rules, or to a 1MDC=5SDC, or an MDC-less system. It would also include various variations on bursting rules, PPE channeling (and similar magic rules) snippering etc.
At least that way we could all use rules we liked and it wouldn't be too hard to go from group to group as we could look up which kind of house rules they were using.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

z0b wrote:I would buy a book that had several sets of complete house rules as well. Sorta like the patches you can get for computer games or software, this would have detailed notes on how to change to a 1MDC=10SDC system and the AR and PV rules, or to a 1MDC=5SDC, or an MDC-less system. It would also include various variations on bursting rules, PPE channeling (and similar magic rules) snippering etc.
At least that way we could all use rules we liked and it wouldn't be too hard to go from group to group as we could look up which kind of house rules they were using.

Isn't that sorta what the Rifter is for, though? Sure, it's not all together in one book so it's not too convenient, but it would seem a bit wierd to put something like this together when they already have an outlet for that type of stuff.

PigLick
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

PigLickJF wrote:
z0b wrote:I would buy a book that had several sets of complete house rules as well. Sorta like the patches you can get for computer games or software, this would have detailed notes on how to change to a 1MDC=10SDC system and the AR and PV rules, or to a 1MDC=5SDC, or an MDC-less system. It would also include various variations on bursting rules, PPE channeling (and similar magic rules) snippering etc.

Isn't that sorta what the Rifter is for, though? Sure, it's not all together in one book so it's not too convenient, but it would seem a bit wierd to put something like this together when they already have an outlet for that type of stuff.

PigLick

Yeah I can see where your coming from, and it is used in this capacity quite well sometimes. Unfortunately it's also filled with lots of info I don't use and is hard to find the rules when you need to. Well it is published by PB after all...

I actually think they could put a lot more optional/house rules in the Rifter though, only because listening to people's ideas and the way they run their games has made mine heaps better, and this would be good for those without the skills or the access to a computer.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Ben Quash wrote:Why wouldn't I buy this....because it would give Rules Lawerys more riberish to throw around.

And it couldn't be a Book...it would have to be 14 three ring binders.

:lol:

I was eating my breakfast when I read that and almost blew milk and chewed up corn flakes all over my keyboard. Thanks. :)
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Angryjack wrote:Palladium could always pay several writers to make a New GM guide for Various campaign style games, Serious, Cinematic, Silly, Etc..

Now that could be pretty cool. 8-)

Of course, good luck getting Kevin to green light it...
Scooter the Outlaw
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Scooter the Outlaw »

maasenstodt wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:If Palladium released an official supplement (not Rifter) of FAQ answers with detailed analysis, and examples of implementation, would you buy it?

I don't think so, unless it happened to be included in a X-Mas Bag or somesuch. It seems to me that if a game has enough errata and unanswered questions of such importance that it merits a book dedicated to them, that game is in serious need of a new edition.

I'm fond of many of Palladium's efforts, but what you're suggesting is a crutch resulting from something that's broken. I don't want to support that kind of product. It's bad form, not to mention an embarrassment.

Full agreement. I'm tired of getting things patched up and scattered across the megaverse of books. Putting all the patches in the same place isn't going to help, especially with the "Q & A" format (which I've always hated, especially in Palladium Books). I refuse to buy any kind of rules suppliment, because I've had enough rules erratas and such crammed down my throat in other books. No thank you, sir.

The only thing I would buy is a revised Rifts main book, any maybe not that, the more I think about it. I'm quite comfortable with the way I play my games as is.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Angryjack wrote:Palladium could always pay several writers to make a New GM guide for Various campaign style games, Serious, Cinematic, Silly, Etc..

Thats a VERY good idea AJ. :ok:

many of the arguments around here seem to come down to different styles of play. It would be nice to have optional rules for the different campaign styles.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

No.
A friend of mine has that... thing, and it confuses as many issues than it resolves.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Return to “Rifts®”