Blood crystals and stones from "Wormwood"

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Officially they are powerless and after 6 hours they crumble to dust.
No exceptions.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Dr. Doom III
Knight

K20A2_S wrote:That's what I was saying, but he kept saying how Temporal rifters could bring things from other dimensions that don't belong. I told him yes they can bring it but it will still crumble. Then he went on to say that the Temporal rifter could pump a whole bunch of P.P.E. into it in order to keep its properties. So I was like whatever, I'll ask tommorrow.

He made it up.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Go with Doom on this one.
Wormwood stuff is different from the rest of the megaverse.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Dr. Doom III wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:That's what I was saying, but he kept saying how Temporal rifters could bring things from other dimensions that don't belong. I told him yes they can bring it but it will still crumble. Then he went on to say that the Temporal rifter could pump a whole bunch of P.P.E. into it in order to keep its properties. So I was like whatever, I'll ask tommorrow.

He made it up.
Not only did he make it up, but the Living Items from Wormwood are kept alive by Wormwood, so close Proxmity to the Planet (Read: in the same Dimension, AND on the Planet only) is required, NOT the P.P.E in them, no matter how much he pumps into the Item........
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

WildScout_Tripp wrote:couldnt you put it in a dimensional pocket to preserve it? or what that still consider leaving the planet and still crumble to dust?
No. Dimensional Pockets really are "somewhere else," even if you can get to that Dimensional Pocket through a Door loctaed on Wormwood.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

WildScout_Tripp wrote:now speaking of temporal warrior why does it take them 3 actions to cast a spell? i know it says they arent really magically inclined to casting magic but still... that kinda sucks :lol:

Fell free to ignore it.
That rule was in place before the "low level spells take half a melee to cast" rule was thought up.
So now a high level Ley Line Walker with 6 attacks would take three attacks to cast a spell anyway. That of course has nothing to do with how adept they are at spell casting.

There is also another way you could look at it.
Since Temporal magic is high level magic it should take an entire melee to cast most temporal spells. That would make Temporal Warriors better since it only takes them 3 actions. :)
-George Orwell
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

WildScout_Tripp wrote:couldnt you put it in a dimensional pocket to preserve it? or what that still consider leaving the planet and still crumble to dust?

putting it in a pocket of any sort would just hasten the process... those things are actual living parts from the living planet, and can't survive away from it.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Ranger wrote:The only thing of wormwood that can survive off of wormwood is the APOK mask as it is bonded to him and not the planet. Stones, symboites, etc die when taken off the planet.
Actually, Ranger, that is an old FAQ Question, according to Doom III, and not true IN CANON, but which most GMs apparently ignore to allow an Apok to travel to other Worlds/Dimensions....

Personally, I'd allow an otherworldly Apok to run around on Rifts Earth, although they're relatively vastly weaker in Rifts Earth than on Wormwood (They have much more MDC relative to the other denizens of Wormwood)......

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

cornholio wrote:
Ranger wrote:The only thing of wormwood that can survive off of wormwood is the APOK mask as it is bonded to him and not the planet. Stones, symboites, etc die when taken off the planet.
Actually, Ranger, that is an old FAQ Question, according to Doom III, and not true IN CANON, but which most GMs apparently ignore to allow an Apok to travel to other Worlds/Dimensions....

Personally, I'd allow an otherworldly Apok to run around on Rifts Earth, although they're relatively vastly weaker in Rifts Earth than on Wormwood (They have much more MDC relative to the other denizens of Wormwood)......

In one of them Adventure Books a Retribution Squad has an Apok, so you can kind of garner the canon position on the Apok mask from that.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
cornholio wrote:

In one of them Adventure Books a Retribution Squad has an Apok, so you can kind of garner the canon position on the Apok mask from that.
Not to be contrarian, Josh, but could you give us that Adventure Book (and preferably, the Page Number as well) when you get the chance; Some of us have been looking for an Rifts Earth Apok for some time now. Mind you, the vast majority of us have already posted that we would allow the Apok to got to Rifts Earth, regardless; but it would be slightly more 'fun' to have an official sighting........ :ok:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

K20A2_S wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
cornholio wrote:

I actually just finished reading that, his name is FORTUNE.
Is it Firetown and the Tolkeen Crisis???

***EDIT***

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, Boys and Girls, the Apok's powers, including his Symbiotes, are powered by a special Ritual mystically linking him to Wormwood, and he (Fortune, the Apok on Rifts Earth) must drain 50 PPE per week from another source to keep the Symbiotes active; they will die and waste away, completely, FOREVER, if deprived of PPE for too long. There is NO mention at all that the Mask (yet another Wormwood Symbiote) is immune to this penalty.

But, to hel......er, Sheol and Gehenna with that Rule. If they plays an Apok in my game, then they gets the Mask. Anywhere.
Last edited by cornholioprime on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

K20A2_S wrote:What about the APOK'S ability to do double damage to supernatural and S.D.C. weapons doing M.D.C. to supernatural when yielded by the APOK?

The only powers he can't use off planet are the communion with Wormwood spells. Which means no Hellfire and the like.
-George Orwell
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Tyciol wrote:Is this reference you're using an adventure sourcebook, or a Rifts Novel? The novels weren't written to be counted as official I believe... and we don't know if the mask the Apok was using was really an Apok mask.

Where did you get this 50 PPE rule for survival thing? That sonds really pulled out of the rear.
If you're talking to me, Ty, I am referring to the Rifts Sourcebook "Tolkeen and the Firetowm Crisis." He really MUST get 50 PPE from an EXTERNAL Source each week while not on Wormwood,or his Symbiotes will start to deteriorate.

Between you and me, exactly how he was aable to find some Magicians who crafted his Ritual Spell before the normal 6-hour limit is one he** of a Nystery to me....

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:That's cool, give the Apok a pair of sub-machineguns with ramjet rounds that do 3d6x10 s.d.c per burst and you got (6d6x10) X 2 against supernatural :eek:

Don't forget to add One Shot, One Hit, One Life, One Kill and a Battle Stone.

That would make it about 6D6X80 M.D. per shot.
Oh. My. God. He's Correct. Apok's Damage Doubler works even on Ranged Weps (I thought in error that they had to be melee Weps).

I CHANGED MY MIND!! NO APOKS ON EARTH BEACUSE I DON'T WANT THE LORD OF THE DEEP KILLED IN ONLY A FEW ROUNDS!!!!!

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Angryjack wrote:
cornholio wrote:
C.R.A.F.T. wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:That's cool, give the Apok a pair of sub-machineguns with ramjet rounds that do 3d6x10 s.d.c per burst and you got (6d6x10) X 2 against supernatural :eek:

Don't forget to add One Shot, One Hit, One Life, One Kill and a Battle Stone.

That would make it about 6D6X80 M.D. per shot.
Oh. My. God. He's Correct. Apok's Damage Doubler works even on Ranged Weps (I thought in error that they had to be melee Weps).

I CHANGED MY MIND!! NO APOKS ON EARTH BEACUSE I DON'T WANT THE LORD OF THE DEEP KILLED IN ONLY A FEW ROUNDS!!!!!

Now you're thinking like a Munchkin!
Yes, but unfortunately for me, he has LEGAL Munchkinism on his side!!! the Apok really CAN double Damage with ANY Wep, Melle or ranged, against SN Evil!!!!!

Dr. Doom III
Knight

cornholio wrote:Oh. My. God. He's Correct. Apok's Damage Doubler works even on Ranged Weps (I thought in error that they had to be melee Weps).

You know the Sea Inquisitor has the same power right? :)
Last edited by Dr. Doom III on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-George Orwell
Svartalf
Champion

cornholio wrote:
Tyciol wrote:Is this reference you're using an adventure sourcebook, or a Rifts Novel? The novels weren't written to be counted as official I believe... and we don't know if the mask the Apok was using was really an Apok mask.

Where did you get this 50 PPE rule for survival thing? That sonds really pulled out of the rear.
If you're talking to me, Ty, I am referring to the Rifts Sourcebook "Tolkeen and the Firetowm Crisis." He really MUST get 50 PPE from an EXTERNAL Source each week while not on Wormwood,or his Symbiotes will start to deteriorate.

Between you and me, exactly how he was aable to find some Magicians who crafted his Ritual Spell before the normal 6-hour limit is one he** of a Nystery to me....

IIRC what I heard of that NPC, he's completely non standard and got that "out of worwood" ability from some weird stuff though (I don't remember which).

Personally, I would not allow Apok off wormwood for extended periods

a) because their mask is a symbiot and no official source backs up or explains why it would be an exception

b) because the focus of an apok is his struggle against the Host... they would not abandon Wormwood to look for fresh targets before THAT is taken care of... for good
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Svartalf wrote:
cornholio wrote:

IIRC what I heard of that NPC, he's completely non standard and got that "out of worwood" ability from some weird stuff though (I don't remember which).

Personally, I would not allow Apok off wormwood for extended periods

a) because their mask is a symbiot and no official source backs up or explains why it would be an exception

b) because the focus of an apok is his struggle against the Host... they would not abandon Wormwood to look for fresh targets before THAT is taken care of... for good
It's "Official" in that Sourcebook ('Firetown and the Tolkeen Crisis,' depending on how you look at Adventure Sourcebooks). In game terms, I'd guess that the Mystic Ritual that those Mages crafted created some kind of spatial Rift within the Apok, and which links him to his home world; Wormwood can then keep the Symbiotes powered through the energy it sends to the Apok via that connection. In tis Apok's particular case, I'd still say that his Symbiotes need t be kept on or near his person; being physically separated from them by too great a distance should cause the decay process to start up again.

As for the part in Boldface, he was PULLED off Wormwood accidentally.

Svartalf
Champion

stormgod wrote:Actually there is a way to get the wormwood sybiotes off world and still retain their powers. In a somewhat recent rifter issue in an article specializing in shifters, it had a spell that was called complete symbiosis (or something along those lines). It gives any symbiotes a much better bonding process. And it states that wormwood symbiotes can be bonded to work off-world that way. So there is a way, after all :-D .

Rifter stuff, unofficial, munchkin
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

stormgod wrote:Actually there is a way to get the wormwood sybiotes off world and still retain their powers. In a somewhat recent rifter issue in an article specializing in shifters, it had a spell that was called complete symbiosis (or something along those lines). It gives any symbiotes a much better bonding process. And it states that wormwood symbiotes can be bonded to work off-world that way. So there is a way, after all :-D .
Stormgod, usually the content of Rifters are NOT counted as being "official;" there's even a disclaimer in the front of the Book to the same effect.

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

cornholioprime wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
cornholio wrote:

Not to be contrarian, Josh, but could you give us that Adventure Book (and preferably, the Page Number as well) when you get the chance; Some of us have been looking for an Rifts Earth Apok for some time now. Mind you, the vast majority of us have already posted that we would allow the Apok to got to Rifts Earth, regardless; but it would be slightly more 'fun' to have an official sighting........ :ok:

Rifts Adventure Book, Chi-Town Burbs: Firetown & the Tolkeen Crisis. Don't recall the page, but I'll get it to you as soon as possible.

Return to “Rifts®”