Can a Juicer catch an arrow in combat?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Why not?? IRL, regular Humans do it all the time. A select few can catch them in their mouths!!!
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Yes. I don't give them more than their auto-dodge bonus to do so. They roll to catch instead of dodge, and if they fail, then they still catch it...in the head.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I'd just count it as a parry.
And juicers can't be suprised, so ambush or suprise is not an issue.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Beatleguise wrote:Its not a Parry, you are technically attacking the Arrow, so it would be on your Strike bonus, not Parry Bonus.

I disagree.
Sure, you could argue that it uses strike bonuses because you are making a grab attack... but by that logic a Parry would also use strike bonuses, because you are hitting it with your hand.
(And no, you aren't merely holding your arm up and letting them hit it. That's not parrying, that's putting your arm in harms way.)

But for people who can be surprised. You can not catch an Arrow, if you did not know it was coming.

Well, you might catch it in the spine...

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Beatleguise wrote:It has to be done as a Strike. Parrying an attack is inherently easier than making an attack. And in RIFTS the stats reflect this as well, accounting for most characters having inherently better parry skill than strike ability.

If we made something this difficult count as a Parry it would make it literally twice as easy to Achieve.

I see what you're saying, but I don't see what the big deal is.
Say the juicer catches the arrow instead of parrying it.
So?
Either way the arrow doesn't hit him.
Besides, there's nothing saying that you can't impose penalties to parry.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Juicers can parry bullets and energy blasts.
I don't think they'd have problems catching an arrow.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:And juicers can't be suprised, so ambush or suprise is not an issue.

is it, "can't be surprised" so much as "can't be taken off guard"

i'm quite sure that a Juicer lacking the detect concealment or detect ambush skills can be ambushed, its just that they get no penalties for it since they have faster reflexes and hightened awarness.

so you can surprise them with something, but it doesn't phase them like a normal person.

and i'd call an attempt to catch an arrow a parry, after all, parrying a projectile is just deflecting the shot, and when you grab an arrow in mid flight your arm becomes the fulcrum for an arcing course change.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:And juicers can't be suprised, so ambush or suprise is not an issue.

is it, "can't be surprised" so much as "can't be taken off guard"

i'm quite sure that a Juicer lacking the detect concealment or detect ambush skills can be ambushed, its just that they get no penalties for it since they have faster reflexes and hightened awarness.

so you can surprise them with something, but it doesn't phase them like a normal person.

"The Juicer enjoys an automatic dodge or parry against all attacks, even from behind."

Sentinel
Palladin

Take a good look at the nature of the bonuses of the juicer. They could catch arrows. They are meant to be the kings of speed. Look at their attack per melee bonus, SPD, PP, etc. What makes it appear that human limitations apply to the speed and reflexive coordination of a juicer?

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

I'd go with the same as a parry with an extra -2 tacked on.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Beatleguise wrote:Yes Automatic Dodge. But they most likely could not turn around and catch an Arrow they did not know was coming. There is a difference.

Ahem..
I said:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
"The Juicer enjoys an automatic dodge or parry against all attacks, even from behind."

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Beatleguise wrote:Yes Automatic Dodge. But they most likely could not turn around and catch an Arrow they did not know was coming. There is a difference.

Ahem..
I said:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

ok, "From behind" is not the same as "does not know its coming."

you can be attacked from behind and still know its coming, little sounds, ground tremors, the feel of an opponents breath, ect.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Ahem..
I said:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

ok, "From behind" is not the same as "does not know its coming."

you can be attacked from behind and still know its coming, little sounds, ground tremors, the feel of an opponents breath, ect.

Which is why a juicer can't be caught off guard or suprised.

Main Book, p. 69
"gets an automatic parry or dodge on all attacks, even from behind/surprise"

CB1, p. 10
"The Juicer enjoys an automatic dodge or parry against all attacks, even from behind. But most others are vulnerable to the first attack (the element of suprise) and cannot dodge or parry this very first bombardment directed at them."

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Ahem..
I said:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I'm a Little confused by the word All..
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Beatleguise wrote:The part being confused is weather or not catching an arrow is a parry or an attack.

I do not count it as a Parry, it is much more difficult. It would be more closely described as a Grapple. Which is a specialized attack.

By that logic, a parry should count as a knockdown attack like a bodyblock/tackle...
But whatever floats your boat.
If you're going to say that it counts as a grapple, only allow juicers with the Westling skill to do it, and only on the natural 18, 19, or 20 that allows a Pin...

A Juicer can Dodge or Parry any Attack. But last I checked that is the only things they can do in reaction to attacks from behind.

I assume that they can still Roll with impact or simo attack.
But if you're going to go strictly by the rules, then nobody can catch arrows at all, because "Catch" is not one of the combat options.

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
And juicers can't be suprised

Even if the French win a landwar while being lead by a Frenchman?

sorry I am in a odd state of mind.
冠双
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Drakenred wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
And juicers can't be suprised

Even if the French win a landwar while being lead by a Frenchman?

sorry I am in a odd state of mind.

:nh:
That is not funny!

:erm:
:rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

To the origional question: If a Juicer can't, who can?

About the Mechanics: This issue has come up before in my games (do't ask) and our standard policy on catching a projectile is as follows:

Step 1: Roll Parry - Why? Because you need to execute the action at a time and place to prevent yourself from getting hit.

Step 2: Roll Strike - Why? Because a strie roll is used to represent a grab attack.

There's some negatives on both, and both rolls must succeed to avoid taking an arrow/knife/spear/shruiken the hard way.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

sure he could. I'd say with just a normal parry with no modifiers. if a norm can do it, they should have no problems.

and even if they fail, so what?

that's what? 2d6 SDC out of 1d4*100?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Nekira Sudacne wrote:sure he could. I'd say with just a normal parry with no modifiers. if a norm can do it, they should have no problems.

and even if they fail, so what?

that's what? 2d6 SDC out of 1d4*100?
I'm not kidding, guys. Normal Humans really can and do catch Arrows IRL (and yes, some of them 'fail....' to get the trick right. But you only get to fail ONCE). I really don't see ANY problem why a Juicer can't do it at "...10X the Speed of a normal Human..."

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Sentinel
Palladin

The arrow could be enchanted, could be fired by someone like a Zen Archer, could have explosive tips, or specialty tips ala Villains Unlimited...
Lots of reasons for a resident speed freak to want to catch an arrow.
Like I said, I think they should have a chance. I find the auto-dodge bonus works for balance sake, but I can see why some would prefer strike or parry bonus.
Now what's the issue? Is it that the juicer can try it at all, or that his bonuses are too high for some tastes?

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Beatleguise wrote:It has to be done as a Strike. Parrying an attack is inherently easier than making an attack. And in RIFTS the stats reflect this as well, accounting for most characters having inherently better parry skill than strike ability.

If we made something this difficult count as a Parry it would make it literally twice as easy to Achieve.

So?

I think a little middle-ground can be found here. How about this, allow the Juicer to deflect the arrow with a parry, using his full parry bonuses. However in order to catch the arrow the defensive roll has to be in the zone of what his strike bonuse would grant.

For example: Jo-Jo the dancing Juicer sees an arrow flying at him in the slow-mo perception common to those of his kind. He opts to catch the thing so he can later shove it down the shooter's throat. He has a Parry bonus of +8 and a Strike bonus of +5. On the roll for his Auto-Parry he rolls a 10 vs the shooter's total offensive roll of 16. The parry's total result of 18 is enough to deflect the arrow, but since the base roll of 10 plus the strike bonus of +5 is only 15, one less than the shooter's 16, he failed to grab it out of the air.

That work for you guys?
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Dead Boy wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

So?

I think a little middle-ground can be found here. How about this, allow the Juicer to deflect the arrow with a parry, using his full parry bonuses. However in order to catch the arrow the defensive roll has to be in the zone of what his strike bonuse would grant.

For example: Jo-Jo the dancing Juicer sees an arrow flying at him in the slow-mo perception common to those of his kind. He opts to catch the thing so he can later shove it down the shooter's throat. He has a Parry bonus of +8 and a Strike bonus of +5. On the roll for his Auto-Parry he rolls a 10 vs the shooter's total offensive roll of 16. The parry's total result of 18 is enough to deflect the arrow, but since the base roll of 10 plus the strike bonus of +5 is only 15, one less than the shooter's 16, he failed to grab it out of the air.

That work for you guys?
Looks pretty good for something you whipped up on the fly.

Why not???

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Tyciol wrote:Ninjas and superspies covers this.

First you roll to parry (take into account any penalties to parry an arrow).

If the arrow (or other thrown catchable object) is successfully parried, the person may spend a melee attack to roll to 'grab' the object. If it succeeds, they have it in their possession. They must of course have a free hand to do this.

Good find!
I knew I should have looked there..
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Beatleguise wrote:Its not a Parry, you are technically attacking the Arrow, so it would be on your Strike bonus, not Parry Bonus.

I disagree.
Sure, you could argue that it uses strike bonuses because you are making a grab attack... but by that logic a Parry would also use strike bonuses, because you are hitting it with your hand.
(And no, you aren't merely holding your arm up and letting them hit it. That's not parrying, that's putting your arm in harms way.)

That would be called a block :P

But for people who can be surprised. You can not catch an Arrow, if you did not know it was coming.

Well, you might catch it in the spine...
:nh: Your sarcasm was not lost on me...it was thrown away, that was just bad (as in Mel Brooks stupid funny).
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I hope your talking in game because a Parry in real life is harder than a strike. You have to read the person to know which direction he is attacking from so that you can effectively parry the attack other wise it becomes a block which requires you put in as much strength as the attacker and can become a danger to you if the attacker pins your block against your body.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

K20A2_S wrote:So if you have paired weapons can you catch two arrows?

Not even in your wildest of wet dreams.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Sentinel
Palladin

I would allow a juicer to attempt this, but not because he had paired weapons.

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

You don't need paired weapons. To catch something in your off hand, it would be a penalty of possibly double what trying to catch one in your regular hand.

Juicers could do it. If only for the awesome factor. Unless catching 2 arrows would be deterimental to the balance of the game, i wouldn't have a problem with it. They are juicers. They only live for 5 years. Let them have some fun before they vomit up pink slushies.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Sentinel
Palladin

DarkBrandon wrote:

You don't need paired weapons. To catch something in your off hand, it would be a penalty of possibly double what trying to catch one in your regular hand.

Juicers could do it. If only for the awesome factor. Unless catching 2 arrows would be deterimental to the balance of the game, i wouldn't have a problem with it. They are juicers. They only live for 5 years. Let them have some fun before they vomit up pink slushies.

Not me man. I'm a Mega-Juicer. When I go, I'm taking a roomfull of people with me! :x :lol: :x

Return to “Rifts®”