Negate Magic...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

If a mage had multiple spells cast on themselves, such as Fly as an Eagle, Armor of Ithan, and Multiple Image; and an enemy mage successfully cast Negate Magic on him, what would be the outcome?

Only one spell is negated, random selection
13%
Only one spell is negated, enemy mages choice of which
13%
All spells are negated at once
42%
I have a seperate answer and will explain below
33%

Total votes: 24

Temporalmage
Hero

Negate Magic...

Unread post by Temporalmage »

What's your interpretation of Negate Magic?
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Temporalmage wrote:POLL: "....I have a separate Answer and will explain Below...."

Canon states that the Spell "Negate Magic" (an 8th level Invocation) ".....will instantly negate the efffects of most Magic."

The SPECIFIC types of Magic that are not negated by the Spell are listed in the Spell Description.

The Spell also allows 'saves' against its effects.

Since the Spell Description states something to the effect of "...save against the magic in place..." (the Magic resisting the effect of the Negate Magic Spell), but the Desciption does not specify whether it is Magic (Singular Spell Effect), Magic (field of Magic-Negating Effect) or Magic (ALL Spell Effects on the Target at the time of casting), the IN-GAME, Canon could be easily argued either way -unless, of course, KevSim addressed/cleared up this Issue in other Books.

Personally, I would rule (allow in my game) that any Magicks on the Target, at the time of Casting of Negate Magic and regardless of number currently in effect, INDIVIDUALLY get a Roll to save against the Magic-Cancelling Spell. Since it is 'only' an 8th Level Spell, I would not allow 'Negate Magic' to automatically wipe out ALL Spells on the Target on a failed save; doing so would, IMHO, give the Spell the potency or near-potency of the 11th Level Invocation "Anti-Magic Cloud" on a failed Save. Of course, any Spell Effects that this Invocation is specifically said not to affect, would not be affected.

At least, that would seem to be a pretty good compromise, no... :-?
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Assuming it works the same way as the Dispel Magic in the "other" game (I don't play 3rd or 3.5), it can be cast "generally," or it can be cast specifically. Cast generally (on a person, thing, or area), it will effect EVERYTHING in the area of effect. Cast speciically, it can go so far as to neutralise a specific spell on a specific person (once the mage picks-up the appropriate spell from the melange of spells on some one).

Take your pick.

Admittedly, once I actually sit-down and read the spell...that may change! :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Borast wrote:Assuming it works the same way as the Dispel Magic in the "other" game (I don't play 3rd or 3.5), it can be cast "generally," or it can be cast specifically. Cast generally (on a person, thing, or area), it will effect EVERYTHING in the area of effect. Cast speciically, it can go so far as to neutralise a specific spell on a specific person (once the mage picks-up the appropriate spell from the melange of spells on some one).

Take your pick.

Admittedly, once I actually sit-down and read the spell...that may change! :D
Yep, this Spell's Description actually isn't very specific at all. An "Open-to-Personal-Interpretation-Spell" if ever there was one.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

cornholio wrote:Yep, this Spell's Description actually isn't very specific at all. An "Open-to-Personal-Interpretation-Spell" if ever there was one.

Which is why I opened this topic, to get peaples opinion. Was hoping that Doom would give his insight honestly.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It's never come up, but if it ever does I have a solution.
Just see how D20 handles Dispel Magic.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Killer Cyborg wrote:It's never come up, but if it ever does I have a solution.
Just see how D20 handles Dispel Magic.
In that OTHER Game, Dispel Magic works on most Spells immediately, without a save; only such Spells that are SPECIFICALLY stated to be immune to Dispel Magic, can withstand its effects. The rough equivalent to that Spell is the 11th Level Invocation "Anti-Magic Cloud." I personally would make "Negate Magic" individually roll to Save for EACH Spell Effect on the Target at the time of Spell Casting, because I would not like to have a Mage expend the PPE for a Level 8 Spell, which has a TOUCH Range, just to see it Negate only ONE Spell or Spell Effect. Likewise, I didn't want the Mage to get the 'benefit' of "Anti-Magic Cloud," against which the effects can be saved against, but requires a High Roll to do so (18, 19, or 20 unmodified Roll and those who save STILL find their Magicks reduced in Range/Duration/Intensity by HALF). The best balance that I could come up with -although like other Posts have stated, I also have not come up against this scenario yet.

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

For pure fun, I like the poll's first option.

Realistically, I don't know. I can see rational arguements for any of the options.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Re: Negate Magic...

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Temporalmage wrote:What's your interpretation of Negate Magic?

Interesting question :ok:.

Normally the Negate Magic spell is directed specifically against another spell or spell effect.

So what does the mage casting NM sees, a flying mage, a magical force field or... The mage pikes the spell.

If it is casted to remove a magic spell without "seeing" what spellit is -make a random call.

To remove all spells simultaniously, you have to cast Anti-Magic Cloud.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Re: Negate Magic...

Ice Dragon wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:What's your interpretation of Negate Magic?

Interesting question :ok:.

Normally the Negate Magic spell is directed specifically against another spell or spell effect.

So what does the mage casting NM sees, a flying mage, a magical force field or... The mage pikes the spell.

If it is casted to remove a magic spell without "seeing" what spellit is -make a random call.

To remove all spells simultaniously, you have to cast Anti-Magic Cloud.
Can't speak for others, but I personally think that having a Mage get only ONE Spell negated, when the Mage had to not only take the time and energy to learn an 8th Level Spell, but have to get close enough to touch the (presumably Enemy) Target, seems to be too little 'payoff' for a Spell of that Level.

Unless the Spell's Author(s) tell us otherwise, that's how I would allow the Spell to work.

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

In that situation, I allow the mage targeted with Dispel Magic, to save for each spell. So, he might stay airborne, but his armour may be dispeled, etc.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Return to “Rifts®”