'Borg PS problem

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lok

'Borg PS problem

Unread post by Lok »

An unmodified human can achieve a PS in excess of 30. A Partial Conversion 'Borg maxes out at 22, and a full conversion at 36. The book says its because of strain to the human part of the body and no reason is given for the full conversion. But if there's so much strain, why bother with a conversion at all?

This also leads to problems; like what if a human with a PS of 26 loses an arm? Does he end up with two different PS scores?

Why is a powered Armour suit stronger than a full conversion borg, with no human bits left to 'strain'?

So; why not allow partial conversion Borgs purchase PS scores on the human scale, with a maximum of say, 35. And switch full conversions to the Robot PS table with a maximum of say, 40?
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of consistantly, consistant, inconsistancies :D (try saying that three times fast) we house ruled it in my games, to be more or less like the way you suggested, as the rules for borg strength as far as canon goes, are stupid. :oops:

Another stupid point is why is a scrawny little T-21 terrain hopper, stronger than a full conversion borg ?
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

according to the GM's guide, partial and full conversion borgs have the same kind of scale of PS as juicers and crazys. meaning they can lift more and do MD on power punches, which a person with a PS of 40+ can't do unagumented
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Borast
Champion

Re: 'Borg PS problem

Unread post by Borast »

Lok wrote:An unmodified human can achieve a PS in excess of 30. A Partial Conversion 'Borg maxes out at 22, and a full conversion at 36. The book says its because of strain to the human part of the body and no reason is given for the full conversion. But if there's so much strain, why bother with a conversion at all?

This also leads to problems; like what if a human with a PS of 26 loses an arm? Does he end up with two different PS scores?

Why is a powered Armour suit stronger than a full conversion borg, with no human bits left to 'strain'?

So; why not allow partial conversion Borgs purchase PS scores on the human scale, with a maximum of say, 35. And switch full conversions to the Robot PS table with a maximum of say, 40?

Don't forget, the 'borg has robotic strength, not "human" PS...

As for the partial conversion...it would have to do with the fusion of man and machine, the machine parts don't move "naturally," that is where the strain referred to comes in.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Lok wrote:An unmodified human can achieve a PS in excess of 30. A Partial Conversion 'Borg maxes out at 22, and a full conversion at 36. The book says its because of strain to the human part of the body and no reason is given for the full conversion. But if there's so much strain, why bother with a conversion at all?

Hmm, I could have sworn the maximum for a normal human being was 30... At any rate, bionic conversion in't generally performed on world-class body-builders, so it's not generally a disadvantage. Also with bionic endoskeletal reinforcement and high-quality custom parts (as per the rules in the Bionics Sourcebook) it is possible -- albeit difficult and expensive -- for a full conversion 'borg to get as high as P.S. 45.

If he gets an artificial limb, yes. Any attacks made with the bionic limb would use the P.S. damage bonus of that limb.

Actually full conversion cyborgs do have human bits left to strain, although some of it may be in the form of synthetic cybernetic organs.

Power armor is stronger though mainly because it has robot strength, whereas cyborgs are normally no stronger than a strong unaugmented human, except that they can do Mega Damage Power Punches.

The rules already allow full conversion cyborgs to purchase robotic P.S. as a bionic system. Certain Triax, Japanese, and Russian cyborgs in fact start out with robotic P.S. as I recall...

See Warlords of Russia or the Bionics Sourcebook for full pricing and details.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Borast wrote:
Don't forget, the 'borg has robotic strength, not "human" PS...

Borgs do not have "Robotic" strength. They have "Augmented" strength, and use the same table as Juicers, Crazies, and Exoskeletons. (RGMG, p. 24)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Lok wrote:An unmodified human can achieve a PS in excess of 30.

Not sure where you're getting this from, unless you mean maxing the attribute roll at 24 (all 6's on 4D6, a 1/1296 chance) then taking many Physical skills.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Mack wrote:

Not sure where you're getting this from, unless you mean maxing the attribute roll at 24 (all 6's on 4D6, a 1/1296 chance) then taking many Physical skills.

I've seen it happen. Of course we also use a "second" bonus die if the first was also a 6. But even then it would max out a 30. But I've seen players pick an OCC and skills that have taken the human PS past 30 (even if they didn't roll a 24+ to begin with). It's not hard to do. Of course it happens a lot less if the players aren't intentionally going for as high a PS score as possible (it doesn't fit their concept). I mean it happened more often when we were younger Rifts players, more impressed by strength and firepower, but that's not the case anymore. :)
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jaguar Wong wrote:
Mack wrote:

I've seen it happen. Of course we also use a "second" bonus die if the first was also a 6. But even then it would max out a 30. But I've seen players pick an OCC and skills that have taken the human PS past 30 (even if they didn't roll a 24+ to begin with). It's not hard to do. Of course it happens a lot less if the players aren't intentionally going for as high a PS score as possible (it doesn't fit their concept). I mean it happened more often when we were younger Rifts players, more impressed by strength and firepower, but that's not the case anymore. :)

I made a N&S Dreamer Gizmoteer with PS of 31. Just roll well and take a lot of physical skills.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Good rule of thumb for RIFTs Strength charts ***Don't use them, use HU2's instead for Lifting/carring amounts*** with one modification...

Supernatural PS Carry x 300, Lift x 500

Superhuman PS ( Robotic ) Carry x 200, Lift x 300

Extraordinary PS ( Bionic ) Carry x 100, Lift x 200

*new* Enhanced PS ( Juicer ) Carry x 50, Lift x 100
*new* Strong PS ( Crazy ) Carry x 20, Lift x 40
*new* Normal Human PS -- Carry x 10, Lift x 20
Normal Human PS is for all Humans no matter the PS number. 3 to 30 normal ps...normal people have only One Strength Class this way.

Using the Chart above allows better ranges of Strength for everyone, specially HUMANS themself...
Ever noticed how in PB games its immpossible to be able to lift weight between Normal PS 16 and Strong 17...its a huge gap in Strength abilty where Two of my Players in Real Life, would be in Limbo PS wise, because their Actual weight amounts arent represented in the charts.
This way, they could be used....My Mod-Normal Human PS 20 is where they would be at.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Rifts®”