Magic Shields

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Magic Shields

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

When you play, do you count a Shield as a weapon or as armor for enchanting purposes? Or could it be enchanted as either? Or both?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

I go with Weapon
Munchkin Cat Minion
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:I go with Weapon

I don't narrow the enchantments by what the book says. I personally say that you can throw any of the enchantments on a weapon or armour. The only question is if its worth it. After all, why would you throw something like extra AR onto a sword? you wouldnt.

--
GS
:bandit:
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

thelazarus6942 wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:
Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:I go with Weapon

I don't narrow the enchantments by what the book says. I personally say that you can throw any of the enchantments on a weapon or armour. The only question is if its worth it. After all, why would you throw something like extra AR onto a sword? you wouldnt.

--
GS

The only small problem i find with this is indestructable armour.

I would treat the sheild as armour unless it was one of the bladed types.

Why would that be a problem? You can get a weapon thats indestructible. WHy not armour? Its the same MATERIEL being made that way, just more of it. So, increase the cost accordingly.

--
GS
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I figure it's considered an item. So any of the spell effects from that list could be applied.

-Vek
"Just throwin in the Naderesque 3rd potion."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
Why would that be a problem? You can get a weapon thats indestructible. WHy not armour? Its the same MATERIEL being made that way, just more of it. So, increase the cost accordingly.

I have to agree 100% with this.
Palladium seems scared of indestructable armor for some reason. Even RUNE ARMOR isn't indestructable.
Yet there are plenty of things out there with Natural Armor, which is effectively the same thing.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

well, simply I would call a sheild a weapon.

obviously you as the GM can allow any effect you feel fits your game, including stuff not on that standard list.

and PB does have a suit of indestructable chain mail. it still has the standard AR. it is called Eldrich Chain. but it is in a location most people would not look. GMs included.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

I can't say I really mind the idea of indestructable armor so long as it retains it's AR. That's something I like about AR...a nat 20 beats any armor, any day. Well, any armor that isn't Ithan's.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Shin Kenshiro wrote:I can't say I really mind the idea of indestructable armor so long as it retains it's AR. That's something I like about AR...a nat 20 beats any armor, any day. Well, any armor that isn't Ithan's.

Nat20 still beats AoI. Its only AR 18...

--
GS
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

Just beacuse of the Strike and Parry rules used in conjuction with WP Shield, I consider it a weapon. However, common sense dictates that you wouldn't use all of the "enhancements" for superior fuctions on a shield... unless there is a good reason for such!

But kinda like what Vek said earlier, it is also and "item." easy for applying all kinds of neat enchantments.

......................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shaded_Helios wrote:I guess I would allow indestructible armor. There really is no valid reason not to. However, I'd probably rule that each individual piece of the armor had to be enchanted separately, just to keep things from getting out of hand. 30,000 gold isn't costly enough for something so useful.

Well, that opens up a new can of worms.
If you mean each piece literally, then indestructable Chain Mail would cost an ungodly amount!

If you mean each piece as in: Helmet, Greaves, Shirt/chestplate, gloves/gauntlets, etc. then that leads to something else interesting.
Logically, if each piece of the armor has to be enchanted seperately then that means that each piece of a suit of armor can be enchanted seperately.
Which means you could have 3 armor enchantments on your chestplate, 3 more on your gloves (maybe even 3 on each glove, depending), 3 on your greaves, 3 more on you helm...
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:and PB does have a suit of indestructable chain mail. it still has the standard AR. it is called Eldrich Chain. but it is in a location most people would not look. GMs included.

And that would be where....?

Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

in an unassuming shop in the land of the south winds.
book III 1st Ed
Munchkin Cat Minion
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Duo wrote:
Shin Kenshiro wrote:I can't say I really mind the idea of indestructable armor so long as it retains it's AR. That's something I like about AR...a nat 20 beats any armor, any day. Well, any armor that isn't Ithan's.

Well....if it's Dwarven Made (AR +1) and enchanted with an enhanced AR (AR +1) and then it can burst into flame (AR +2) and is made from black iron (AR +1) then the best armor could be AR 22.

Personally, I think that an AR of 22 isn't a bad thing.
Higher ARs would lessen the problem that at higher levels armor doesn't do much good. Once your parry bonuses end up better than your AR, anything that you can't parry bypasses your AR anyway.

Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Chamalkan wrote:I remember in one novel a ghost was telling his life's story to the latest incarnation of time. The ghost used to be a dragon slayer and not only had all the training needed but he also possessed indestructable armor.
He was called in one day to slay a dragon only to find out that it was a dinosaur.
Unlike the more intelligent dragon, when a dinosaur scoops up in your mouth and bited down on you, it doesn't realise it's breaking it's teeth on your indestructable armor and stops... no, it keeps biting down, effectively crushing the person to death between the plates of metal and the rings of chainmail.

One of the Incarnations of Immortallity books, by Piers Anthony. I believe that was Chronos' book, "Bearing an Hourglass".

--
GS
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It has a WP, so it's a weapon. You don't usually go with WP:Shin Guard.

In all honesty, I don't see any problem with making armor, especially plate indestructable.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
RockJock
Knight

Don't some of the NPCs in Nimro have indestructable armor? As I remember, they look old and rusted, but give a natrual AR.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I allow shields to be enchanted as weapons and armor... 4 slots total, like armor, but using either weapon or armor enchantments.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
RockJock
Knight

It would be nice if there was some sort of parry bonus under the weapon enchantments. As it is a shield that is indestructible, returns when thrown and has say the numbing or SDC Transferral is still nice.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”