Revising the armaments on the AAT-30

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Revising the armaments on the AAT-30

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Ok...

according to scans provided by Cyc (from the Japanese Mospeada DVD release) and hosted by rtsurfer....the AAT-30 actually has 1 onboard machinegun mounted under a hood cowling and has the option of having point-blank missiles/rocket-propelled grenades (mini-missiles).

The machinegun has a drum magazine and appears to be air-cooled. The cowling appears to pop-up so as to allow for concealment as well as allowing for the weapon to be free of contaminants like dust and so forth.
Figure it uses the same ammo as the Wolverine Assault Rifle (which in my notes is 7.62mmx51) and the drum can hold 100 rounds. The passenger can control the weapon much like the gunner in the AAT-40.

The missile bin appears to be the same kind of flatbed as used on the AAT-40. It is also removable (since we never see Lunk's AAT-30 with it until the end of the series).

Edit: Unfortunately...ImageStation wont allow for you to open a link to their images. I reposted this over at the RDF HQ Message Board...I'll like it and you can see the images there.

http://p081.ezboard.com/frdfhqcommunicationscenterfrm35.showMessage?topicID=378.topic
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Re: Revising the armaments on the AAT-30

Zerebus wrote:You sure that machine gun wasn't Lunk's personal modification? He got that armored piercing rifle of ultimate badness from that Mexican town, afterall.

Looks entirely different...sorry. The armor piercing rifle doesnt have an air cooled barrel nor a drum magazine. Plus, unless Lunk cut out part of the engine to accomodate the bin that the gun is stored in....I think its a design feature and not a modification.
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Zerebus wrote:You sure that machine gun wasn't Lunk's personal modification? He got that armored piercing rifle of ultimate badness from that Mexican town, afterall.

EDIT: If memory serves, that "machine gun" wasn't there before Lunk was granted that rifle.

I think that Machine Gun is mints tommygun
冠双
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Drakenred wrote:I think that Machine Gun is mints tommygun

If you mean the Owen's Mk X 'Mob Gun' that we see Mint firing in The Lost City (misidentified in the RPG as the M-35 Wolverine)....no its not. For one thing, the 'Mob Gun' is the same exact weapon as the misnamed Wolfe 9mm pistol....just in pistol configuration. For another thing, the Owen's 'Mob Gun' not a slugthrower...the magazine is too far forward for it to be so. The gun in the AAT-30 is most definitely a slugthrower...it has a cartridge ejection port on the right side.

Edit: Here is the Owen's Mk X 'Mob Gun' for reference. This is an actual animation production sheet. http://img67.exs.cx/img67/7818/OwensPR-10MobGunSketch02.jpg

Its also not the weapon that Mint is firing in Frost Bite. That was either a FAL-2 (my vote, since the animation shows rapid fire) or a SAL-9.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Actually Stan...the M-35 Wolverine is this weapon...

http://img8.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img8&image=AR-25WolverineSketch01.jpg

The image in the RPG is in fact the Owen's 'Mob Gun' while the pistol configuration is the 'Staple Gun'. It is a multiweapon...and not a slugthrower. The Wolverine is a slugthrower.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

hmm, where here's what google has for the image search for "Wolverine" and "Robotech"

http://www.robotechresearch.com/picture ... e/out.html

its Mint with somehting simmiler to what Rabid posted as the Owen's Mk X 'Mob Gun.

This is a point for debate and Flames among Fanboys. Honstly sometimes i think we put way to much thought in to a Cartoon from our Child hood (or teenyears).... Sometimes i wonder if Transformers has such Rabid Debates about its Animation errors and production notes....
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

My head hurts.

Can someone tell me for certain what the following are:

1. Wolverine Assault Rifle

2. Wolf Auto Pistol

3. M-35

4. Owens Gun

5. Mob Gun

PS: Nice pics Cyc
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Well...lookie what I found

We really should say thanks (no matter what side of the issue) to Olsonk for having taken screen caps of almost every conceivable weapon in Robotech.

Here is the screen cap of Mint just after she picks up..thats right...the Owen's 'Mob Gun'.

http://www.robotechresearch.com/picture_archive/Mospeada/Other/Wolverine/large/Wolverine_0_large.jpg

Although he mistakenly calls it the Wolverine...you can see plainly that the stock attaches at the HANDLE. We later see the 'Wolfe' pistol being held by Rook Bartley with the barrel attached in Survival. I'm telling you, the image in the RPG is a goof.

Even in the old comics of The Sentinels by Eternity...the Wolverine is in fact the Assault Rifle from Southern Cross. I'm sorry...but everyone else is wrong about the Wolverine. For once, the comics got the image right.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Jefffar wrote:My head hurts. Can someone tell me for certain what the following are:

Ok....

The Wolverine Assault Rifle is from Southern Cross. Its a slugthrower we know because a.) it has a flash suppressor on the barrel and b.) has a bolt and cartridge ejection port on the right side of the rifle.

The 'Wolfe Auto Pistol' is in fact the 'Staple Gun' Pistol Configuration of what I labeled the Owen's Mx 10 'Mob Gun'. The name Owens Mx 10 'Mob Gun' came from the McKinney novels and it seemed to fit with the rifle configuration of the weapon...since it looks damn close to the M-1 Thompson SMG.

The M-35 is the designation of the Wolverine...presumably in the RPG (Im not sure if it was supposed to have that in The Sentinels...not sure).

The Owen's Gun is the name for the multiweapon that we see Mint using in The Lost City. We see the pistol configuration numerous times and the rifle configuration in two eps. : Lost City and Suvival (though the second time its only the pistol with the cooling nozzel...similar to how the Gallant has a cooling nozzel).

The 'Mob Gun' is the name of the Owen's Gun in its rifle configuration.

Hope this makes it as clear as mud :D
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

I will agree with you that the image from the RPG could be considered a variant of the Owen's. Heck, it looks even more like a Thompson SMG than the other.

Having said that, I will sadly have to say that there is no way that the M-35 from the RPG could be a slugthrower. The magazine is still place too far forward and the structure of its seating also make it impossible. There is also the fact that the M-35 from the RPG lacks a flash suppressor.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Re: I agree

Basara_549 wrote:For that matter, the RDF rifle that the RPG calls a light laser is supposed to be projectile in the Macross OSM, but has the same problem of the magazine being entirely in the wrong place to be a conventional projectile weapon.

Who designed these weapons? Billy Crystal's character "Fernando"??? ("remember, it is better to look good than to feel good...")

Heh...I was thinking the magazine on the UEF AR-20 5.56 Assault Rifle was too big. It looks like something that should have been fitted to a Barret .50 sniper rifle. Idiot designers didnt think that one out. For all of its supposed flaws, the slugthrowing weapons from Southern Cross appear to be more realistic...with the exception of the 'Badger'. Ive watched the animation and pored over the animation sketches and it has to, sadly, be caseless weapon. In my files I wrote (which I believe rtsufer said he posted them to Gamlin's site) I guessed that pulling back on the hammer was the only way to get the weapon to load the first cartridge from a new magazine.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”