HU Class Pref

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

I can't say as I've really had any preferences per se in HU. I've played a variety of different classes, up until now they've really never been one class much more than another.

Lately, however, I seem to find myself playing PU2-style supersoldiers quite a bit. Of the three HU games I'm in now, two are in that category (the other's a mutant). One is strictly by the book, the other might be slightly questionable seeing as the character is a minotaur and not a human.

As I'm not one of those who feel the burning desire to re-write every single super ability in the game (not that there's anything wrong with that), I pretty much play/GM stuff in HU by the book rules. If a player/GM presents me with an intriguing concept, or I see something that really just doesn't seem right to me, however, I will make an exception. :ok:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Since HU doesn't have any classes, none.

My favorite Power Categories however are Hardware, Robotics, and Special Training: Super Sleuth.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Uncle Servo
Champion

gadrin wrote:I think the Super-Soldier is pretty neat and the Natural Genius for less power and more "cerebral" games, both from PU2.

The more I look at the Natural Genius category, the more I like it. I originally questioned the need for it with the Analytical Genius, but the more I compare the two the more the AG appears to be a gizmoteer-type Hardware character. The NG's strength isn't building things per se, but the fact that his broad range of skills and areas of mental development make him extremely versatile.

Throw in some super-gadgets from Fabricators Inc. (or even self-built), and even the most powerful super-beings have reason to be wary of the NG.

Granted, the NG won't be for everybody -- as you said he's a 'cerebral' character and requires a particular mindset to play effectively. But the rewards are certainly there for those who can play one well.
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

One of the things I enjoy about HU2 (including PU2) is that I find most of the power categories very interesting to play. As such, I really don't have a favorite per se.

One of the things that has made WW so bloody obnoxious was their whole "we have a classless RPG! It features clans which you have to select instead".

Class, Archetype, Clan, Cabal, Power Catagory, whatever you want to call it. If you make one desician that pretty much determines your character type compared to others then it's a 'class'.

Agreed. If there's anything I have observed, its that many use the clan concept as a means to define their character. Even when one doesn't have to except to prove that the stereotype exists for a reason.

he was a moderator?

Yeah. If you're "new", don't feel bad. Sometimes it takes awhile to know whom are moderators.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Seem to be mostly Mutants or experimants
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Therumancer wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:Since HU doesn't have any classes, none.

My favorite Power Categories however are Hardware, Robotics, and Special Training: Super Sleuth.

*PLEASE* don't try and go here. HU is a class based RPG. One of the things that has made WW so bloody obnoxious was their whole "we have a classless RPG! It features clans which you have to select instead".

Class, Archetype, Clan, Cabal, Power Catagory, whatever you want to call it. If you make one desician that pretty much determines your character type compared to others then it's a 'class'.

These kinds of terminology games are annoying, and can actually turn people off to the game.

Sorry if I seem a bit excessive, but I don't think a moderator should post stuff like this.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Whoa, buddy... ease off the trigger finger here (or the caffeine, either one).

I can see your point that HU is not a 'classless' RPG, but HU still doesn't have 'classes' in the sense that other games such as Rifts and Robotech do. With OCCs and RCCs, your choice pretty much defines your skills, equipment, special abilities/powers, and in a lot of cases even your social status. Since in HU you determine your special abilities/skills and your education level separately, you're not pigeonholed into such narrowly-defined classes. In Rifts, a Vagabond is always going to start off as a standard Vagabond... but in HU, a mutant can start off as a mutant who grew up on the streets or a mutant with a Ph.D. (or anything in between).

You can call it 'terminology games' if you want, and yes TD could have phrased the response a little differently (and perhaps a little better), but since HU and other games have different systems of categorizing characters IMO you do need to make a distinction between the two in order to help reduce confusion.
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

well, ive been around for a little while, but every phpbb board has their own titles..lol

When I made the comment, it was before I noticed when you registered or number of posts. One of the reasons I phrased new as "new" was just in case you weren't but still didn't know. I do see your point about how every board has its own titles though - and the inevitable confusion.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Uncle Servo wrote:The more I look at the Natural Genius category, the more I like it. I originally questioned the need for it with the Analytical Genius, but the more I compare the two the more the AG appears to be a gizmoteer-type Hardware character. The NG's strength isn't building things per se, but the fact that his broad range of skills and areas of mental development make him extremely versatile.

The Pretender and the Joker are the prime examples of the NG. I'm sure that there's a couple more out there but those are the ones that come to mind.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I didn't say the game was "classless" I said it doesn't have classes, as in the O.C.C.s, R.C.C.s, and P.C.C.s that abound in other Palladium games. Power Categories do serve much the same purpose, but since that's not what the book calls them, that's not what I will call them either, and as an anal-retentive stickler for exact details, I am inclined to correct anyone who doesn't use the book terms either. :P

Now back to the topic.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I"ve come to enjoy several of the new classes in PU2. I am having lots of fun with a NPC Archer right now. Throw in a wider access to hightech trick arrows and you have a pretty versitle old school character.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Ancient Master
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i have to say that the ng and supersoldier are my fav's so far. also, immortals have given players a reason to be a mega hero. 8-)
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Uncle Servo
Champion

branigan's law wrote:i have to say that the ng and supersoldier are my fav's so far. also, immortals have given players a reason to be a mega hero. 8-)

I hadn't realized there were many people out there who intentionally passed on being a Mega-Hero because there wasn't a reason for it...

:eek: :lol:

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”