Orbit

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Mutants in Orbit is much better as an ATB supplement than it is for Rifts. I've used MiO for both and am convinced that while it has potential in Rifts, it stands out with ATB, ranking alongside Mutants in Avalon & Mutants Down Under as a top notch setting. Used with the TMNT Guide to the Universe (for the essential TMF rules) and drawing from the HU: Galaxy Guide for more spacecraft design options, MiO can provide exciting sci-fi campaigns in a similar vein as Jovian Chronicles and Buck Rogers XXVc, though with less reliable - and thereby more dangerous and exciting - technology. It's worth noting that I've found that including modified (SDC) mecha designs from the Rifts section and other sources while putting serious limits on the super power angle tends to work best for getting the feel I want.

As far as the new ATB goes, I find the vestigal disadvantages to improve character creation but I stick with the original (TMNT) ruleset in actual gameplay for it's tightness and cleanliness. All the same, there's no reason that the new ATB wouldn't work with MiO.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

I also use AtB MiO in conjuction with TMNT Guide to the Galaxy (I used the Triceratons in most of my AtB campaigns), Aliens Unlimited & AU Galaxy Guide. I liked MiO as a sourcebook, I probably wouldn't run an AtB campaign set in space though. I didn't care for the Chicken Little adventure, but I liked the theme behind it and decided to write my own campaign/scenario for use with all of the AtB resources. Here's what I have so far (it's a work in process, this is a rough draft):

EoH (to include New Kennel), Imperial Mexico (notable Mexico Grande), Skandia, SAECSN, & the Danish wing of the Yuro Station form an axis of human elitism.

Sequence of events:
  • French Separatists & the (mostly human) Danish wing of the Yuro Station make contact with SAECSN in hopes of securing resources to gain complete control of the Yuro station.
  • SAECSN realize they’re resources are limited (their Yuri Station contacts advise them to make contact with EoH whose radio transmissions have been monitored by the Yuro Station Separatists.
  • The SAECSN meet with the EoH and begin negotiations for a pact, even revealing the existence of the Yuro Station to the EoH. EoH claims to have Space Shuttles capable of leaving Earth’s orbit, sees potential in pact with SAECSN and Yuri Station Separatists.
  • EoH & SAECSN Pact signed; resulting in embassies and ambassadors, technology trade, Special Forces advisors, conventional military exchange programs, etc.
  • EoH begins preparations for launching the shuttle(s).
  • Danish lobby for and gain responsibility (control) of the communications array of Yuro Station. Begin making plans to sabotage/blind radar to facilitate EoH shuttle docking covertly.
  • SAECSN & the Yuro Station Separatists beseech EoH to open diplomatic relations/ties with Skandia.
  • EoH approaches Skandia with pact alliance proposal & (albeit reluctantly) discloses the details surrounding the Yuro Station Separatists.
  • Skandia joins the Pact, though they are skeptical of SAECSN involvement and enter secret negotiations with EoH and members of SAECSN high command for proposal of a hypothetical coup. Saint Jean-Maria is oblivious, blinded by euphoria over human elitism Pact nations.
  • Skandia and SAECSN request military support from EoH, in the form of EoH troop deployments.
  • EoH enlists the aid of Imperial Mexico (in order to offset some of the troop commitment). Imperial Mexico enters Pact (conditionally, under EoH supervision & direction); they are not informed of the Yuro Station Separatists.
  • EoH deploys 500 human soldiers/support crews (to include power armor & aircraft) in support of SAECSN of operations. New Kennel deploys 3,000 active duty and 5,000 NG K-9 troops to Skandia. Imperial Mexico deploys 500 Guardia Imperia soldiers in support of SAECSN operations and 3,000 mutant animal Guardia Imperia soldiers to Skandia.
  • EoH requests compensation from Skandia & SAECSN. Skandia provides EoH with Advanced Genetics Technology, Naval assets, and military technology. SAECSN provides EoH with Pre-Death military technologies, Pre-Death technological assets and artifacts, and a set number of HD-J tanks (probably close to 100±25 HD-J tanks with half going to Imperial Mexico) and other military equipment.
  • Imperial Mexico is compensated by the EoH with a set number of HD-J tanks, 3-4 Saber 15 Fighter Bombers, and 6-9 LC-12 Assault Helicopters.
  • EoH finds SAECSN anti-animal semiticism too severe as SAECSN adamantly refused to work with/accept aid from either EoH or Skandia mutant animal service members. EoH and Skandia secret services begin formulating scenarios for eliminating Saint Jean-Marie while still maintaining SAECSN Pact alliance integrity.
  • Time line of EoH shuttle launch must coincide with proper Earth, Moon, and Yuro Station alignment in order to keep other stations oblivious to the impending Yuro Station coup. EoH determines that in order to meet this it must launch the shuttle(s) from an obscure locale (Australia?).
  • SAECSN provide Euro version of the Pre-Death U-2 surveillance/spy airplane for launch site reconnaissance.
  • EoH task the Human Elite on the west coast with preparing a FARP for the reconnaissance plane and naval assets to resupply the impending EoH naval movement.
  • EoH begins preparations for shipping shuttle(s) and launch platforms via sea with the EHS Joseph McCarthy as the flagship.
  • Reconnaissance flights provide sufficient data/observations for launch site. No indications of organized resistance or local governments surmised.
  • Combined EoH/Skandia naval Task Force deploys for launch site (Australia?).
  • Task Force arrives on the west coast of N. America.
  • Task Force arrives in Australia amidst flare up of Jakartan & Tassieland military operations. Task Force inadvertently(?) wipes out elements of both forces in order to secure launch site.
  • Jakartan military moves swiftly for counter-strike/retaliation against the Task Force. Tassieland disengages from the conflict and moves in reconnaissance elements to observe Task Force.
  • EoH/Skandia Task Force obliterate Jakartan counter-strike, interrogation of prisoners (troublesome and somewhat ineffective due to language barrier) provide intel(?) into Jakartan society.
  • Shuttle launch occurs as planned(?) with combined EoH/Skandia strike force aboard. Yuro Station Separatists sabotage radar system aboard the station, and since they control the communications array…
  • Bloody battle occurs aboard the Yuro Station, resulting with Station falling into the hands of the Yuro Station Separatists. Details of the coup and the EoH/Skandia/SAECSN involvement are intentionally kept secret in order to feign firm grasp of control without external help.
  • A secret trade treaty between the Yuro Station Separatists and the governments of EoH, Skandia, and SAECSN transpires resulting in great leaps of technological advancement for the Earth governments and agricultural/natural resources for the Yuro Station. Advancements in genetics are made, signaling a new hope for the continued existence of the human population.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
gordyzx9r
Hero

macksting wrote:I rather like the idea of capture of said shuttle by loyalist from other wings... Perhaps especially the German wing, with its new powered armor. :) Goodness only knows...

Is Skandia from ATB2?

Yes.

How would SAECSN and EoH get in contact? Both seem a little preoccupied and it always seemed like they have tight budgets.

More likely than not they've known about each other since they began using radios. I've talked with people over FM radios who were on the big island of Hawaii, while I was in TN. Depending on atmospeheric conditions radio waves can travel remarkable distances (something to do with sunspots too I have been told).

Preoccupied? I doubt there preoccupied to the point where they can't pursue what be their salvation (or what they think would be their salvation)

In the Supplement Mutants in Avalon there is mention of SAECSNs possessing cargo aircraft, the range of most cargo aircraft in inventory since the sixties could make that easy.
gordyzx9r
Hero

macksting wrote:I meant too preoccupied to just send scouts that far out. For instance, a lot of the EoH's air and sea power is being devoted to the jungle warfare of the Yucatan, searching for the quantum machines.

That's just one element of a another campaign/scenario...it's not the proverbial neverending story.

As to radio, the radiation alone might cause serious problems for that at such distances. While this may not be as much an issue in the US (proper Star Wars programs, perhaps?), it's clearly a problem in Britain and possibly through Europe. I really don't know. Skandia sounds European, and I've no clue what it is or how it's holding up.

I'm not sure what effects radio waves suffer from radiation, though it has been quite sometime (in terms of the game itself) since the atomic war occurred. All of my books are still in storage getting shipped to me, but if I remember right the atomic war of the original ATB is played down quite a bit in ATB2. Personnaly I like the original story line better, I'm not to big on the EGG thing.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”