Pikes, Beak's and 'dents: Fun with Weapon Classes

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Tyciol.
Pikes are considered polearms, not spears?
In general, pikes are too long to use as a throwing weapon.

Originally posted by Tyciol.
The trident is listed as a 2 handed weapon. While I agree it's best used 2-handed, ancient gladiators often fought with a trident and a net, imitating neptune/poseidon and triton. Is it possible to wield a 2-handed weapon 1 handed with some kind of penalty? I do feel this should be possible.
The chinese version of the trident, the Tiger Fork, is heavy and has to be used with two hands.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

Mantisking would be correct. Tiger forks are made pretty damn heavy. They need to be when you consider their original use (tiger hunting).
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

They're really the same thing. The trident is the type of weapon (Tiger forks are all tridents, but not tridents are tiger forks). Similar to how a lot of cultures have swords, but they're all different.

Either way, Tiger Fork requires two hands. Now, a lighterweight trident is a different story.l
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

Because a Tiger Fork is a type of trident.

Unread post by Guest »

It gets worse folks, evidently, according to Kevin, Tiger Forks are considered small, one handed weapons like sai. Check out Splicers and BTS2 if you don't believe me.

ROFLMAO.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I would very much like to see new artwork for weapons.
I would also like for weapons damages to be re-evaluated, and made consistant from book to book.
It would be nice if each setting had it's own unique list of weapons (polearms for PFRPG aren't really neccessary in Nightbane), although to some small extent, Mystic China and Ninjas and Superspies have this.
I liked the format of the old Weapons, Armour and Castles: I wish they'd bring that back. It was like CCW, and somewhat more useful than the comic sized versions.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Unread post by Guest »

You found the CWAC useful? That's surprising. I found it to be fairly useless myself, the author didn't know how to classify weapons, his weapons information was pretty useless and/or innacurrate, and Chinese weapons once again got shafted (not too mention other non-Japanese Asian countries). The smaller books were even sadder when it came to weapons.

I agree though that Palladium needs new artwork, I miss the good old days of awesome weapon pics like AD&D Oriental Adventures and Unearthed Arcana.
Sentinel
Palladin

I used the CWAC all the time for PFRPG and HU Revised (there was always some super heroes who used ancient weapons).
It wasn't perfect: but it did pretty much what I wanted it to do.
I did miss Chinese weapons, and non-Japanese weapons as well.
Fortunately, I have a fairly comprehensive stack of books on martial arts weapons from around the world. With some comparing, and a little extrapolation, I got what I wanted.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:I used the CWAC all the time for PFRPG and HU Revised (there was always some super heroes who used ancient weapons).
Fortunately, I have a fairly comprehensive stack of books on martial arts weapons from around the world. With some comparing, and a little extrapolation, I got what I wanted.

I don't suppose you've got The Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia by Donn F. Draeger, Kobudo and Bugei by Sid Campbell, Zen Kobudo: Mysteries of Okinawan Weaponry and Te by Mark Bishop, Weapons of Okinawa: a Devastating Kobudo Arsenal by Sid Campbell, Modern Arnis: Filipino Art of Stick Fighting by Remy A. Presas, Compete Sinawali: Filipino Double Weapon Fighting by Reynaldo S. Galang, and/or Balisong: The Lethal Art of Filipino Knife Fighting by Sid Campbell?
Sentinel
Palladin

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:I used the CWAC all the time for PFRPG and HU Revised (there was always some super heroes who used ancient weapons).

I don't suppose you've got The Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia by Donn F. Draeger, Kobudo and Bugei by Sid Campbell, Zen Kobudo: Mysteries of Okinawan Weaponry and Te by Mark Bishop, Weapons of Okinawa: a Devastating Kobudo Arsenal by Sid Campbell, Modern Arnis: Filipino Art of Stick Fighting by Remy A. Presas, Compete Sinawali: Filipino Double Weapon Fighting by Reynaldo S. Galang, and/or Balisong: The Lethal Art of Filipino Knife Fighting by Sid Campbell?

I do have Draegers' books, Two Arnis books by Presas, Jeff Imadas' books on the Balisong but not Campbells'. I have seen Galangs' book, but didn't have the funds at the time, and instead picked up the five books by David Lowry I didn't have: Bokken, Autumn Lightning, Moving Through Stillness, Persimon Wind, and another which eludes me at this moment.
I also have Hallender's book on Chinese weapons, and several other titles from Ohara, Rainbow, and Unique publications, as well as Shamballa Press
on Korean, Japanese and Kali/Escrima/Arnis weapons as well.
Besides these, I am a proud owner of three different editions of the Book of Five Rings, and four different translations of the Art of War.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:I don't suppose you've got The Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia by Donn F. Draeger, Kobudo and Bugei by Sid Campbell, Zen Kobudo: Mysteries of Okinawan Weaponry and Te by Mark Bishop, Weapons of Okinawa: a Devastating Kobudo Arsenal by Sid Campbell, Modern Arnis: Filipino Art of Stick Fighting by Remy A. Presas, Compete Sinawali: Filipino Double Weapon Fighting by Reynaldo S. Galang, and/or Balisong: The Lethal Art of Filipino Knife Fighting by Sid Campbell?

I do have Draegers' books, Two Arnis books by Presas, Jeff Imadas' books on the Balisong but not Campbells'. I have seen Galangs' book, but didn't have the funds at the time, and instead picked up the five books by David Lowry I didn't have: Bokken, Autumn Lightning, Moving Through Stillness, Persimon Wind, and another which eludes me at this moment.
I also have Hallender's book on Chinese weapons, and several other titles from Ohara, Rainbow, and Unique publications, as well as Shamballa Press
on Korean, Japanese and Kali/Escrima/Arnis weapons as well.
Besides these, I am a proud owner of three different editions of the Book of Five Rings, and four different translations of the Art of War.

Not bad, except for the Hallander book, I've got her translation of In Hyuk Suh's "The Fighting Weapons of Korean Martial Arts" and I can say it was a useless waste of money.

I've got:
Ninjutsu History and Tradition by Hatsumi, Masaaki
Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts by Donn F Draeger & Robert W. Smith
Ninja The Invisible Assassins by Andrew Adams
Ancient Chinese Weapons–A martial artists guide by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming
Secret Weapons of Jujutsu byDon Cunningham
Classical Weaponry of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts by Serge Mol
Kyudo The Way of the Bow by Feliks Hoff

Researched extensively from:
The Samurai Sword: A Handbook by Yumoto, John
Arms & Armor of the Samurai by Bottomly, I & Hopson A P
The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords by Nagayama, Kokan
A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and Use of Arms and Armor in all Countries and all Times by George Cameron Stone
The Complete Encyclopedia of Arms & Armor by Tarassuk, Leonid and Blair, Claude

And am currently waiting on a shipment containing:
The Japanese Sword: A Comprehensive Guide by Kanzan Soto
Samurai: The Weapons and Spirit of the Japanese Warrior by Clive Sinclaire
150 JAPANESE POLEARM TERMS by W.M.Hawley
JAPANESE SPEARS by Yasu Kizu
1100 JAPANESE SWORD TERMS, and 400 named blades by W.M.Hawley
THE BOWS, ARROWS & QUIVERS OF ANCIENT JAPAN by W.M.Hawley
JAPANESE ARCHERY by B.Sherman

(I also have an extensive bibliography of books I've got, used, and am in the process of getting. And yes, my specialty is Japanese weapons, Palladium covers them little better than any other place in the Far East.)
Sentinel
Palladin

I'll have to post the better parts of my library.
I get a lot of stuff from martial arts web-sites (Black Belt Magazine has a pretty good search engine), as well as excerpts and articles from the major publications (I live near an Asian Market, and get two Japanese Aikido Magazines, although I have the Devils' own time rading them all).

Personally, I like Jane Hallender. I also like James Lee, Willaim Chueng, and Dan Inosanto.
For stretching and leg conditioning, I like Bill Wallace.
I also have compilations from Emil Farkas and John Cochoran (sp).
Naturally, I got the Bruce Lee Fighting Method, Dao of Jeet Kune Do, Chinese Gung Fu, Dear Bruce Lee, and Letters to Bruce Lee.

Unread post by Guest »

Hmm...maybe it's time again to post the Asian Weapons topic.

So many weapons, so little time.
Sentinel
Palladin

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Hmm...maybe it's time again to post the Asian Weapons topic.

So many weapons, so little time.

There's always time for Asian Weapons.

Unread post by Guest »

Tyciol wrote:So... while I'm at it...

*stacks the WP skills of spear, polearm, trident, forked, and targetting for his weapon*

Been reading all the different versions of W.P.s lately eh?

Let me guess: W.P. Spear from TMNT, W.P. Polearm from MC, W.P. Trident from the RGMG, W.P. Forked from Splicers, and W.P. Targetting from PF.

Unread post by Guest »

ash_wednesday wrote:It be nice for once that I wouldn't have to be a weapon expert to enjoy a game..or a physics expert..or a law expert...etc...etc...etc....

Yes it would be nice, unfortunately when the game designer doesn't do the research, you get stuck doing it yourself.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”