Super Powers and Stamina drain.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Super Powers and Stamina drain.

Unread post by VR Dragon »

The GM I currently game under has a dislike of super powers in a Rifts setting. Since everything else in the game has a limited use ( ISP , PPE, Etc. ) he disliked it when I played certain super powered characters.

One example: We where in the middle of a desert in the palladium dimension and no way to travel except our legs. My character possessed the super ability of flying force disk. After offering to use it to transport the party to a town some 6 hours flight time away, we left. Since the power had no time limitation we headed there nonstop.

Well after that game the GM started expressing a displeasure in the fact I had abilities that didn't seem to tire me out while all the other characters had a certain battery life.

Being the nature of these super abilities I felt it was It was somewhat unfair to character. While everyone else had nearly limitless potential to expand their power base. I was stuck with my abilities as they where. A fair trade off but he didn't think so.

I was wonder if this had come up before with others and how they where handled.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Fatigue applies to superpowers as much as any other effort.

I',m not a fan of the idea that superpowered beings should be able to simply 'run out of juice'. I'm trying hard to imagine the flash suddenly stopping in the middle of a run because he's out of ISP, or superman walking to a crimescene to save PPE for the fight.

BUT i think it should be tiring. I think someone ploughing ahead at 300MPH should be exhausted after a few minutes. I don't know anybody who can belt along at thier highest pace for more than 20 seconds. (or more than five in this chubby body..but i digress. Stupid fat rolls.) :x

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

Jaegermeister wrote:Quicksilver's entire body has adapted to the rigors of high-speed running, and his cardiovascular and respiratory systems are many times more efficient than those of a normal human being. Wolverine's and Sabretooth's Healing Factor keeps them from tiring. Capatin America's body doesn't produce fatigue poisons (and there is such a thing). Cyclops eyes are a gateway to another dimension. Havok and Bishop absorbs energy which feeds their body and makes Bishop have more strength and endurance. Superman absorbs sunlight. Professor X and Jean's (why didn't they ever find a good name for her instead of Marvel Girl and her stint as Phoenix?) telepathy is always in the On position just like my hearing, eyesite, etc

THEY ARE NOT HUMAN. Quit treating them as such.

then again, THEY don't exist in Heroes Unlimited either....
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

ummm, your all fogetting that while the powers may have no set use, there IS fatige and exsation from maintaing sternous activity based on their PE attribites. that's the kicker. flying is a moderate to strenous activity, depending on the conditions, adn fire bolts is combat, again, heavy strain.

it's the normal ones based on their PE :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Okay...here is my 2 cents;

It's okay that most Superpowers do not have a "power point pool" (with the exception of Power Touch, Create Force Fields and Create Force Objects). Most powered beings have a limited selection of powers, and the majority of these beings have powers that compliment each other and allows them a "niche" to specialize in.

The Superhuman's main advantage is their ability to use their limited powers as often as desired. Where they suffer is in diversity and adabtability.

Psions and Spellcasters, while they do have a finite amount of "energy" to spend on their abilities - their diverse array of powers more than make up for this.

Plus you have to consider that this supply of energy grows with experience and mages can also tap outside sources of PPE (like from willing companions - most superhumans have 6D6).

Also consider that several psionic powers can end a fight in one shot (Bio-Manipulation anyone?).

All this being said, like Nekira, I also beleive that the use of superpowers is or should be tiring to the superhuman. One should not be able to run at full Extrordianry Spd and not get tired or throw energy around all day and not get winded.

Oh, and Jagermeister, there are many times in the comics I have where the X-Men have gotten winded due to the constant use of their powers including Bishop, Cyclops, Prof X and Phoenix (apparently that's her official codename now).
Last edited by Cardiac on Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

thagema wrote:WOW Cardiac! Wish I had thought of that!! Oh wait, that is very similar to what I had posted just a few days ago! Imagine that... :-D

people DO agree sometimes ya know :D

:)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

phenex is a great code name the woman comes back to the dead more than Goku
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

thagema wrote:WOW Cardiac! Wish I had thought of that!! Oh wait, that is very similar to what I had posted just a few days ago! Imagine that... :-D

Heh - great minds think alike I guess. I usually reply to posts without reading what anyone else written. :D
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Lord Cherico wrote:phenex is a great code name the woman comes back to the dead more than Goku

Hey...go easy on the poor saiyan...he's only died and come back twice that I can remember... :D

As for Jean Grey, yes Phoenix is a good name for her... Not necessarily for the dead and not dead aspect. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

There are powers that cover the aspects of fatigue, such as EXT PE, and Supernatural PS, which claim you fatigue more slowly, and Healing Factor, which says you don't fatigue at all. I impose fatigue on my players using things like running for guidelines (IIRC, there is something in the character creation section that talks about exertion).
I don't believe, however, that there needs to be a complex system like GURPS or Champions for depletion of powers.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Sentinel wrote:There are powers that cover the aspects of fatigue, such as EXT PE, and Supernatural PS, which claim you fatigue more slowly, and Healing Factor, which says you don't fatigue at all. I impose fatigue on my players using things like running for guidelines (IIRC, there is something in the character creation section that talks about exertion).
I don't believe, however, that there needs to be a complex system like GURPS or Champions for depletion of powers.

I'm in aggreeance. Essentially, I don't want a round by round expenditure of points. thats unweildy and detracts from the game. what I expect though is that if omni girl runns flat strap for 2 hours then she's going to pop something. even uber athletes are found shaking from just 12 seconds of effort (look at short distance sprinters). admittedly, superhumans are superhuman and can be cut a little extra slack, but if Omni girl (above) is walking around with 12 PE I'm of the opinion that she should pace her nect run from LA to chicago.

Likewise, if flame projector Lad (FPL) is dead set determined to tunnell through a mountain with his flame powers, I'm going to make him winded and dizzy after an hour of constant blasting.

Of course other powers do set the tone for fatigue. Healing facto and ext PE spring to mind.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Jaegermeister wrote:Cyclops eyes are a gateway to another dimension. Havok and Bishop absorbs energy which feeds their body.

No, Cyclops absorbs energy just like his brother.
His uncontrol is explained away as a result of a head injury he suffered as a kid.
If he didn't suffer the injury he could control his energy blasts, just like his brother.
Even though they ignore the fact that he should have gained control by now due to the number of times he's been healed....
Last edited by Sir_Spirit on Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

I think it's Cycological (badaboom chhh).

Super Ability fatigue, as mentioned, is covered perfectly well by ordinary strenuous activity rules.. constant use of a high energy super power, or high mental concentration intensive power is equivalent to constant combat or other heavy exertion.
For physical fatigue, use P.E., for mental fatigue, use M.E.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.

Unread post by Guest »

Note: Ext Speed clearly says "the ability to move and run faster than most vehicles without tiring"

Sonic Speed mentions absolutely nothing about tiring, ironically.

Don't forget the Juicers, B.I.A.s, and Endoskeletal Supersoldiers, all of which are superathletic, able to last 10-20 times longer than normal without tiring.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”