Acquiring New Skills

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Acquiring New Skills

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

My player characters want to go to college. I know rules for this exist in Heroes Unlimited, but I also read in The Old Ones about some of the schools available in the Timiro Kingdom. For example, there is a fencing school that costs 50,000 gold and gives combat bonuses at the end of the course. Later, it mentions another school that gives a bonus to specific skills per year of study, but it doesn't list a cost or say anything about learning new skills. How much does it cost to go to this school and how proficient does one become after a year of study in a new skill?
Vidynn
Adventurer

Re: Acquiring New Skills

Unread post by Vidynn »

Hi,

I know about that paragraphs on schools, also in Library of Bletherard there are books which give the PC a skill.

still, I wouldnt forget that one needs xp (and going up in levels) to get new skills...if one skips this rule, the whole system crumbles...

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Vidynn wrote:Hi,

I know about that paragraphs on schools, also in Library of Bletherard there are books which give the PC a skill.

still, I wouldnt forget that one needs xp (and going up in levels) to get new skills...if one skips this rule, the whole system crumbles...

cheers, V

Using the education rules in Heroes Unlimited and Systems Failure XP isn't a factor, only the amount of time and money (or services and trade goods) the character has available, and for the duration of the schooling the character has to be out of play.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Using the education rules in Heroes Unlimited and Systems Failure XP isn't a factor, only the amount of time and money (or services and trade goods) the character has available, and for the duration of the schooling the character has to be out of play.

That's what I am asking: how long and how much? And then, after he has the skill, does it start at the percentage listed in the book?
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

In the fantasy times (we'll call it enhanced Medieval times), schooling was longer and much more structured than it is today, due to lack of resources and available teachers. However in large cities with colleges, it wasn't as long as it'd be in smaller areas.

Average college classes to learn the basics of a skill are 8 weeks in this day and age. If the character is going to school in a large city, I'd say you'd have to be in school for 12-14 weeks, for 2 hours of class, and 1-2 hours of study each day. Remember though that schools were very individualized, and your players wouldn't be able to take "wilderness survival" right after they got out of "Literacy-Eastern". However, schools still had physical education programs and competitive teams, so he could learn - wrestling, HtH expert, W.P. Fencing, W.P. Staff, W.P. Archery/Targetting, Athletics, Gymnastics (NOT acrobatics, learn that from a circus or gypsies), or Running. I'd rule against swimming due to lack of pools....learn that the hard way.

Hope that helps some. That's the way I run it in my games.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Ted Smythe wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:Using the education rules in Heroes Unlimited and Systems Failure XP isn't a factor, only the amount of time and money (or services and trade goods) the character has available, and for the duration of the schooling the character has to be out of play.

That's what I am asking: how long and how much? And then, after he has the skill, does it start at the percentage listed in the book?

2 years of schooling gets you one scholastic skill or skill program (in PF terms that would be OCC related skills) rated at level 1, with a bonus or penalty based on the quality of the school (-5% to +10% IIRC).

Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

I'd say a secondary skill may require a month or two, while an OCC related skill requires 6 months. Depending on which category, I'd go with what is in the book for starting percentages. As for how much, it depends on the teacher, the individual skill, and time.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Tinker Dragoon wrote:2 years of schooling gets you one scholastic skill or skill program (in PF terms that would be OCC related skills) rated at level 1, with a bonus or penalty based on the quality of the school (-5% to +10% IIRC).

Thanks. How much does two years of school cost?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Ted Smythe wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:2 years of schooling gets you one scholastic skill or skill program (in PF terms that would be OCC related skills) rated at level 1, with a bonus or penalty based on the quality of the school (-5% to +10% IIRC).

Thanks. How much does two years of school cost?

Varies by school, and dollar amounts don't really apply in PF. A few hundred to a few thousand gold pieces and/or 4-6 months of service per skill (higher for more advanced skills) seems appropriate to me.

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Cranus wrote:I'd say a secondary skill may require a month or two, while an OCC related skill requires 6 months. Depending on which category, I'd go with what is in the book for starting percentages. As for how much, it depends on the teacher, the individual skill, and time.

maybe you can tell us your thoughts behind this...I've been thinking: why do OCC-skills take longer then "others", I mean thats what they do and practice in the OCC, maybe it should be vice versa.

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

The numbers were rough estimates. Basically, they represent that OCC related skills have had more time invested tin them at a "professional" level while secondary skills are hobbies or have less time investment. In other words, my way of reflecting why a secondary skill wouldn't have a bonus.

Also skills that I would want to be really good at or are important to what I do require more time. Perhaps a better number could be three months, although now that I think about it the 6 months were a reaction to the 2 years of schooling that Tinker Dragoon brought up based on HU2.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

The Nightbane Hobbes wrote:Isn't there also a dojo in the Western Empire book that one can go to learn martial arts from?

yes, thats correct, Master Shang's school in Caer Kurgas as presented in WE pg. 57.

here, three months of study and 2000 gold bring an upgrade from HtH: basic to expert and from expert to martial arts.

alternatively the skills of boxing, wrestling, gymnastics, WP Paired Weapons, WP Staff and WP Targeting can be learned.

compared to other sources and thoughts presented here the amount of time and money seems to be on a low level.

cheers, V

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”