anti-vampire sunglasses?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hystrix
Champion

Re: anti-vampire sunglasses?

Unread post by Hystrix »

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Interesting idea...
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Sounds like an interesting idea, as the vampire would hopefully be to focused on the cross shaped "openings" rather than the eyes themselves.

Here's a variant of the idea.
A pair of wrap around sunglasses, with a tinted (one way?) material that makes it difficult to see through them from the outside, and then have the cross pattern formed from a mirrored "one way" material.
Both materials would be made to let roughly the same amount of light through, so eye strain isn't caused from looking through some cross shaped point of view all the time.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Wouldn't work...well, wouldn't work well...

The vamp doesn't necessarily have to be the initiator of eye contact. :D

Vampire Hunter's Tip #325:
Dunking a vampire in stagnant water only results in a pissed-off vampire standing ankle deep in putrid water over your torn-up and bloody corpse...after all - do you know how expensive REAL silk is in Post Apocalypse North America?! :x

Vampire Hunter's Tip #013:
Make sure you know what kind of vampire you are facing...certain vamps enjoy sunning themselves, and Asian vamps can cross water, even swim if he's of a mind...

Vampire Hunter's Tip #006
(Non-Christian) Hunter armed with a cross is a funeral waiting to happen...and not his prey's.

Vampire Hunter's Tip #001
Staked Vampire = Dead Vampire...not.
Staked Vampire = trouble rising to haunt (and hunt) you at a later date!
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sir Darom wrote:Perhaps a pair of sunglasses or tinted goggles with transparent crosses covering the lenses could be made, in order to keep the vampire from making eye contact for super hypnoticc suggestion?

Good idea, though I'm not sure if it would work... The Rifts rules are a bit unclear for crosses and vampires. Sure, vamps don't like them... but can they look directly at them? If not, just cover yourself with crosses and they'll have to close their eyes to even fight you...

If nothing else, I'd allow a Techno-Wizard to make a pair of those with Globe of Daylight built in or something that could protect you from vampire hypnotism.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Kind of reminds me of a line in the opening of V:TM. Making a reference to crosses, the narrating vamp says "actually I'm quite fond of them". I know it's a totally different game with no bearing on Rifts, i just thought it to be an interesting cross reference
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Sir Darom wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Good idea, though I'm not sure if it would work... The Rifts rules are a bit unclear for crosses and vampires. Sure, vamps don't like them... but can they look directly at them? If not, just cover yourself with crosses and they'll have to close their eyes to even fight you...

If nothing else, I'd allow a Techno-Wizard to make a pair of those with Globe of Daylight built in or something that could protect you from vampire hypnotism.

Page 27 of VK:

"The symbol and even the shadow of the crucifix (T shaped cross) will cause the vampire to recoil in apparent fear and pain....A cross held firmly in hand can be used to force a vampire away. Wearing it around the neck protects one from the vampire's bite."

Sounds clear to me.

Ah, but is it forced to look away?... Sure it has to move away from the cross, but it doesn't say the vampire can't glare hatefully at the cross (though, personally, I would do it that way, as if the cross emits a blinding light that only the vamp can see).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

my characters get crucifix tattoos on their necks and paint crosses on their armor. leaves their hands free for GUNS.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

i've only had one character fight vampires.
but come on, thats a good idea. it leaves your hands free. for guns.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

well dur.
no, you have Hollow Point silver bullets. alot of them.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Sir Darom wrote:Okay, forget the glasses. But here's an idea...

Holographic Cross Projector, strapped to ones forehead like a circlet, it can project a translucent cross a few feet in front of you, with the effect the same as that of holding one before you.

Cute...try projecting it just above your head. Projecting it in front of you (translucent or no) will distract YOU as much as the vampire you're trying to fight...

However...

Ooo...trip Naruni Wave 2...

Er, ah...however... the mere physical presence of a cross has no real effect...it is the weilder's BELIEF in said item that, ahem, "harms" vampires! A hologram wouldn't cut it...unless you're using a globe of daylight to project the image...which begs the question...why not just USE a globe of daylight? :lol:

Mind...while the RULES state that taping a cross your flashlights pointing it at a vampire can do serious harm, I think the logic in that one is just a little...strange... :?
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

[/quote]Actualy, it's something that Louis said in Interview with the Vampire...

Yes your correct...my bad. I was thinking of when the Vamp in V:TM said that he actually bathed.

The Ruiner
Explorer

dammit, that post didn't turn out right.....gotta learn how to do that. heh

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Daemon Ward wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:actually just make opaque sunglasses with tiny video cameras at the corners that project the image onto the inside of the glasses, giving total stereo vision and yet making it impossible to be affected by anything requiring eye contact.

Would something along the lines of NGR cyclops body armor work? 8)

Hmmm, good question. Unfortunately my Rifts books are in storage right now. If it uses a camera totally for its optics then it might just qualify. If it uses sensors for the sight enhancements overlaid on a clear viewplate they're screwed.

Generaly any modern Binocular optics will provide protection, monocular optics will not if the optics allow you to see normaly with your other eye, also many of them are currently designed to not interfear with perifiral vision, so you could probably allow a bonus to a saving throw
Last edited by Drakenred®™© on Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
冠双
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Drakenred wrote:Generaly any modern Binocular optics will provide protection, monocular optics will not if the optics allow you to see normaly with your other eye, also many of them are currently designed to not interfear with perifiral vision, so you could probably allow a bonus to a saving throw

???

Forgive me...This is reguards to?

If the Vampire's charm / hypnosis ability...maybe. Can't remember if it needs "eye to eye contact" or not.
Fnord

Return to “Rifts®”