PB fantasy 2:nd edition Ranged question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mogge
D-Bee

PB fantasy 2:nd edition Ranged question

Unread post by Mogge »

I do know that a bow doesn't calculate in P.S. bonus damage but I do wonder if thrown weapons and slings do add P.S. bonus damage?
I could not find anything regarding it but leaning towards no damage bonus since it's already dificult to avoid/parry ranged weapons???

Any help would be appretiated. :)
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: PB fantasy 2:nd edition Ranged question

Unread post by kiralon »

I believe they do, can't remember the reference but will try to find it. The rules are a tool to guide you, if you make modifications to the rules just make sure the players know about them before hand and that they can be applied in a consistent manner. This is something you will likely have to do as you come across rules that do not mesh with sense, or sometimes even themselves. *cough* characters prowling from one town to another to level up fast *cough*
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mogge wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:06 amI do know that a bow doesn't calculate in P.S. bonus damage but I do wonder if thrown weapons and slings do add P.S. bonus damage?
Greetings and Salutations. I'm unaware of any clarification within the PF2 books. In fact, I think the Ranged Combat rules lack much detail at all.

The most I can give you (from PF2) is that Hand to Hand, typically (except when it doesn't), refers to melee combat. So the bonuses you get from Hand to Hand training (such as Basic, Expert, Martial Arts, Assassin) do NOT add to ranged weapons. By the same extension, the P.S. damage bonus to "hand to hand" also would not add to ranged weapons.

However, I don't know if there's much proof within the PF2 books. I'll also admit that I'm starting with a conclusion based on information in non-PF2 books. So if someone (such as kiralon) can find a reference I'm unaware of, I'll happily correct my answer.

Side note: I'm actually not even sure where it would specify that P.S. damage bonus does NOT add to the bow and arrow in a PF2 book. Where is this called out in the books?
Mogge wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:06 amI could not find anything regarding it but leaning towards no damage bonus since it's already dificult to avoid/parry ranged weapons???

Any help would be appretiated. :)
I'll note that in Rifts Ultimate Edition (RUE) one page 328, they explicitly note that the P.S. damage bonus does not add to the bow and arrow or thrown weapons (unless specifically called out in a O.C.C. description/ability). However, that is in Rifts (specifically in the Rifts write-up of W.P. Targeting), and it's hard to say for certain that it applies to PF2. Yet, this is the only clarification I'm aware of in a Palladium Book. While, in general, I'm a proponent of the Megaversal System concept when it comes to rule clarification, this is something individuals will have to decide for themselves.

Note: Palladium tends to support the Rifts setting the most. As a result, it often has the most rule clarifications (and/or contradictions). For this reason, I tend to stay a bit up-to-date with Rifts rules, even if I otherwise do not play the setting. Of course, with Palladium, sometimes a rule in one setting is not designed to apply to another setting, and we are left to guess. Again, if someone can find a rule in a different setting and/or an example that demonstrates different, I'd be more than willing to reassess my answer. At present, this is simply the most I'm aware of, with what I have to work with.

Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Found it, in the mount nimro book page 19 and it doesn't (well for giants) and only applies to hth attacks.
Don't forget that any weapon attacks from a Giant gain an additional 1D6 damage, due to the weapon's size and weight, plus the Giant's PS damage bonus is applied to all hand weapons (axe, knife, sword, club). The PS bonus does not apply to the bow and arrow, sling or similar weapons.
Optional: If okayed by the GM, half the PS damage bonus can be applied to a weapon that the True Giant throws with all his strength. This attack counts as two melee attacks and the player must announce before rolling to strike, that his intention is to throw with all his might. Thrown items include spears, axes, knives, rocks and similar.

I do play that thrown weapons do PS damage as well, including slings, but crossbows are set and you can find bows that are set to a particular strength that if you aren't strong enough the bonus to damage becomes a negative.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:40 pmFound it, in the mount nimro book page 19 and it doesn't (well for giants) and only applies to hth attacks.
Greetings and Salutations. Nice find. I'll try to enter that into my mental database (but I don't promise I'll remember a few years or even months from now, just that I'll try). Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The way the PB system typically works about PS and bows is that the bow has to be made/constructed to give a fixed PS bonus. And that also makes the bow limited to archers that have a minimum PS score.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mogge
D-Bee

Unread post by Mogge »

Thanks everyone for the help. Weird I did read a little from Mount Nimro the other day, but missed that part. :D

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”