Psi-Swords vs Immunity to Energy

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Psi-Swords vs Immunity to Energy

Unread post by darthauthor »

IF some has the spell "Immunity to Energy" on them does it make them immune to a Psi-Sword?

Put another way, do psionics count as an energy attack?

Super Psionic power of "Mind Bolt"?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Psi-Swords vs Immunity to Energy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Psionic Energy is still energy. Yes, it makes them immune.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Psi-Swords.....they are a physical attack. So...No, not immune.
Psi-sword can be used to parry physical attacks. Unlike the 'so called' laser sword :roll: (which is a energy weapon) produced by Wilks. (More like a laser rod built to look like a sword hilt with a trigger that responds to an object moving in front of it and within the listed range.)

Mind Bolt is a mental attack and is not effected by immune to energy.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

Interesting . . .

The text in RUE says, "a shimmering blade of energy that resembles a glowing sword"

So I interpret from this that the melee weapon one creates is made of a kind of energy.
However, nothing I have read says anything about the nature of the damage it does; only that it does Mega Damage.
Does not say it is a psionic attack.
Does not say it is heat or fire. I asked someone if it could heat water like a lightsaber to which they replied, "No."
Not electrical damage.

I want to follow up with another question.
Does the Psi-Sword count as a magic/TW weapon to do damage to the likes of entities and vampires?

That I think is a big defining thing because if it does NOT then it is just another vibro blade of sorts.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Psi sword is not magic. It is psionic.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
darthauthor
Hero

The question is, "Does it damage entities and vampires?"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

darthauthor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:54 pm The question is, "Does it damage entities and vampires?"
Their entries include a vulnerability to psionics so yes

People use "Only vulnerable to magic" as a shorthand. The actual writeup includes vulnerability to psionics. Most invulnerable things do.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:The question is, "Does it damage entities and vampires?"
For Vampires it clearly stated in the book (on pg 34 original, I don't know about revised).
darthauthor wrote:Put another way, do psionics count as an energy attack?]
Unfortunately, there is no single answer here as it will come down to the specific power in question.

For example, Telekinetic powers like Mind Bolt ("mental force") or TK Punch etc will count as physical attack and not energy. Electrokinesis abilities will count as Energy. Hydrokinesis will be physical. Pyrokinesis will count as fire, so energy.

Psi-Sword is a bit murkier, on the one hand it is an energy blade but at the same time it can be used to do physical things (like parry). Energy for damage purposes though, with the "blocking" being some type of subconscious TK ability (that or the ability also allows energy to exert its mass equivalent).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

darthauthor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:17 pm I want to follow up with another question.
Does the Psi-Sword count as a magic/TW weapon to do damage to the likes of entities and vampires?
It is a mystical blade so it does harm those that are immune to mundane damage. Such as Vampires and Were-people.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:54 pm Psi-Swords.....they are a physical attack. So...No, not immune.
Psi-sword can be used to parry physical attacks. Unlike the 'so called' laser sword :roll: (which is a energy weapon) produced by Wilks. (More like a laser rod built to look like a sword hilt with a trigger that responds to an object moving in front of it and within the listed range.)

Mind Bolt is a mental attack and is not effected by immune to energy.
I agree the psi-sword is made of telekinetic force IMHO
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

It really depends on how powerful the GM wants that spell to be.
It is already one of the top defensive spells in the game.
If you want to make it stop a Psi-Sword then you can interpret it as doing that.
If you want it to not stop a Psi-Sword then you can interpret it as doing that
We already know it doesn't stop Kinetic Energy as it will not stop bullets.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”