Helpful Spells on a Psi-Stalker

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Helpful Spells on a Psi-Stalker

Unread post by darthauthor »

What happens to a psi-stalker when a good spell, like an enchantment, is cast upon them?

Example, the classic Armor of Ithan?

No one in my games has played a Psi-Stalker or had an NPC one on their side.

We all know how they are psi sensitive about magic, so if a spell is at work on them are they blinded from sensing magic going on outside of them?

As a GM I don't know what the fairest ruling would be.
I'd say that they Armor of Ithan spell worked and the psi-stalker had the MD protection.
I just don't know if that would block their sense magic ability for the duration.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Helpful Spells on a Psi-Stalker

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

(Normal) Psi-Stalkers are not Psi-Nullifiers or Nega-Psychics, so the casting of the spell on them is going to go off without a hitch. Nothing the Psi-Stalker can do will change that. They don't interact with the directed PPE in any special way (they can only absorb PPE from specific sources, and those sources do not include spell casting).

Nothing about the specific spell would block/restrict their Sense Magic Ability (in RAW). Now another spell might function that way, but off the top of my head I cannot think of any that would. NOW the impact on their natural abilities would maybe fall under the normal "other P.P.E sources may confuse the scent" (pg153 RUE, last paragraph left column) resulting in penalties IF you allow them to sense enchantments on objects/persons (by RAW they might not be able to, unlike a Dog Boy).

I say may, due to the Wild Psi-Stalker is stated (in RUE pg156) to "love" magical weapons (equipment). This could indicate a "blind spot" in terms of range, it might also indicate they can't sense spell enchantments when placed on another person or object, it might also "mess up" their own "psychic/magic scent" IF the AoI Enchantment's PPE.
darthauthor
Hero

Thanks ShadowLogan.

Situation number 2

Psi-Stalker has Supernatural Endurance cast upon them?

My guess is to treat it the same as Armor of Ithan.

Situation number 3

The "Sustain" spell is cast on a Psi-Stalker.

I would say, depending on the number of days of the spells duration that they don't need their weekly glass of water or ounce of meat but that it would not satisfy the quota of PPE they need to feed on.

I guess the easy way to deal with it is just to say magic spells they don't resist work the same on Psi-Stalkers as they do on humans (no disruption to their sense of magic and such).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would treat an ongoing spell as kind of like putting perfume on a hunting dog... a spell up his nose is going to make following another psychic scent difficult.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

#3 Sustain
Psi-Stalker physiology is complicated. While they need food and water, they can go without it for 3 weeks before any effects start to manifest as a natural ability (RUE pg154). The spell would not provide the PPE they need as the spell is worded. Honestly, I think the spell would not work on them because of their complicated physiology.

#2 Supernatural Endurance
I'm not sure on that one as I can't find a spell by that name, do you mean "Superhuman Endurance"? If so, I don't see any reason the spell would not work as intended.
darthauthor
Hero

ShadowLogan wrote:#3 Sustain
Psi-Stalker physiology is complicated. While they need food and water, they can go without it for 3 weeks before any effects start to manifest as a natural ability (RUE pg154). The spell would not provide the PPE they need as the spell is worded. Honestly, I think the spell would not work on them because of their complicated physiology.

#2 Supernatural Endurance
I'm not sure on that one as I can't find a spell by that name, do you mean "Superhuman Endurance"? If so, I don't see any reason the spell would not work as intended.

Shadow Logan.

Yes, I meant Superhuman Endurance.

#4 Situation

Energy Field (Force Field Spell with 60 MD)

IF they are inside of it can they sense Magic spells are being cast outside of it and their general direction and relative distance?

#5 situation

the spell "Gaint" (80)

So King Gonk situation.
Fighting the Xiticix or a Dragon (or whatever).

Is their ability to sense magic casting and such restricted, increased, other?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

#4 nothing indicates the EF blocks any sensory ability (if wearing a helmet doesn't block their senses, I doubt an EF will be any different, they will "sense" the magic barrier though).

#5 I would say it stays the same, mystic abilities range is not connected to the size of the being. A Pixie/Farie (sub .3m) would have the same range as a Splugorth AI (7.6m diameter plus 15m tentacles) if they had the same spell and level, so I'd say the same applies here. Their natural 5 natural senses (sight, hear, smell, touch, taste) are going to come down to how you see the Giant spell working (increase in size or increase in number of receptors).
Library Ogre

I'd have Energy Field foul their sensing ability, myself; not too dissimilar to being on a ley line. You're surrounded by magic. Really strong "scents" might make it through, but you have one surrounding you completely.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

What's an example of a spell with a duration which, if cast upon a Psi-Stalker, doesn't befoul their senses?

Sensory stuff like See the Invisible or Eyes of the Wolf? Fly as the Eagle? How about a Familiar Link summoned from a scroll read via Eyes of Thoth?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Curbludgeon wrote:What's an example of a spell with a duration which, if cast upon a Psi-Stalker, doesn't befoul their senses?

Sensory stuff like See the Invisible or Eyes of the Wolf? Fly as the Eagle? How about a Familiar Link summoned from a scroll read via Eyes of Thoth?

none of them.
Active magic is active magic.
The only exception would be something specially researched to take them into account and that incorporated some kind of "shielding". Or a spell with a duration that has concealment (certain curses for example).
basically if the spell can be detected with detect magic it will be an active scent and will always be the "nearest source of magic"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre

Curbludgeon wrote:What's an example of a spell with a duration which, if cast upon a Psi-Stalker, doesn't befoul their senses?

Fire Bolt. :D

Seriously, though, I think most spells cast upon a psi-stalker would mess with their senses... maybe to the tune of 3-5% per spell level.

On the other hand, I'd also allow a psi-stalker to, over time, learn to tune out the specific scents of a specific spellcaster's specific spells... so Betsy learns to get past Stephen's Armor of Ithan, but if Zee casts it, it's a different scent that Betsy isn't used to.

All Palladium Articles
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Ooh, I like the idea of a Psi-Stalker being able to inure themself against a familiar psychomagical signature. Presumably something like that is in effect with respect to items, since why would a PS otherwise use, say, a flaming sword, as has been oft depicted.

Do you think, Mr. Ogre, this should be something requiring a skill check, or is it more a matter of exposure?
Library Ogre

Curbludgeon wrote:Ooh, I like the idea of a Psi-Stalker being able to inure themself against a familiar psychomagical signature. Presumably something like that is in effect with respect to items, since why would a PS otherwise use, say, a flaming sword, as has been oft depicted.

Do you think, Mr. Ogre, this should be something requiring a skill check, or is it more a matter of exposure?

I'd wing it, personally. If the PS and the magic-user are specifically saying they're practicing this, I wouldn't make it take long. If the PS said he was trying to smell past it, I'd fudge some decreasing penalties. Make it a benefit of role-playing, rather than a gift.

I might also make it faster if the PS fed regularly from the same mage or psychic... get used to their scent.

All Palladium Articles
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

darthauthor wrote:We all know how they are psi sensitive about magic, so if a spell is at work on them are they blinded from sensing magic going on outside of them?

Look at yourself.
Can you see your clothes?
Now look at something else, further away.
Can you see that too?

Well, there you go.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”