Mephisto's Dungeon Countermeasures

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

narcissus
Explorer

Mephisto's Dungeon Countermeasures

Unread post by narcissus »

When describing Mephisto's Inferno Heart dungeon, it says:

All the necessary precautions are built into the prison to prevent these beings from using most of their supernatural abilities, however these countermeasures are not discriminatory and affect all who enter, even Mephisto. That’s why this level is the most heavily guarded section in his citadel and several Arch Fiends oversee it.

My question is, what countermeasures are they talking about that Mephisto is afraid of, but his Arch Fiends and other guards aren't? And more specifically, what would they do to PCs?

Im assuming Power/Mystic Drain wards and similar, but those would affect the Arch Fiends as well. I'd love some clarity on this, even if it's just opinion /hypothesis.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Mephisto's Dungeon Countermeasures

Unread post by eliakon »

Basically its a shout out to the fact that the author is doing self insert of their gaming groups characters and that the "playtesting" was their PCs besting the gods.
Thus the security was basically set up to be able to hold their PCs but they don't want to *say* that so...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

narcissus wrote:When describing Mephisto's Inferno Heart dungeon, it says:

All the necessary precautions are built into the prison to prevent these beings from using most of their supernatural abilities, however these countermeasures are not discriminatory and affect all who enter, even Mephisto. That’s why this level is the most heavily guarded section in his citadel and several Arch Fiends oversee it.

My question is, what countermeasures are they talking about that Mephisto is afraid of, but his Arch Fiends and other guards aren't? And more specifically, what would they do to PCs?

Im assuming Power/Mystic Drain wards and similar, but those would affect the Arch Fiends as well. I'd love some clarity on this, even if it's just opinion /hypothesis.

It's carte-blanche for the GM to fabricate something task-tailored to make PCs more vulnerable. As for the Arch Fiends overseeing it, I could easily envision something like Disney, where the PCs enter the staged area and interact at that level, meanwhile Arch Fiends are working from the underground or "within the walls" so to speak, affecting anyone in the kill zone.
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

narcissus wrote:When describing Mephisto's Inferno Heart dungeon, it says:

I assume something similar - mystic drain wards and/or unknown wards and other magic that "prevent these beings from using most of their supernatural abilities".
It doesn't say anywhere that Mephisto is afraid of them, just that he is affected by them. Presumably, so are the Arch fiends and all of the other guards. But they are still, strong, tough, MDC beings with plenty of bonuses, etc. who can defend the dungeon very effectively with brute force.

As for exactly what abilities are negated, I'm not sure (it's a shame they weren't more specific). I would say all magic, and most anything described as an "ability". But some natural abilities seem pretty supernatural, and others quite mundane. If the intent is to stop prisoners from using abilities against their captors or to escape, then the natural ability to teleport or dimensional teleport must surely be negated. But night vision? It's usually written under the same section, so I guess so? But doesn't feel the same. Psionics? Maybe, maybe not...
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Rifts®”