Alternative to Sea Inquisitor MDC shield

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EliBenedict
Wanderer

Alternative to Sea Inquisitor MDC shield

Unread post by EliBenedict »

I've always liked the Sea Inquisitor class, especially, the non-psionic version. I like the idea of an otherwise normal dude who can face off against supernatural forces on an even playing field based solely on a past traumatic experience and sheer force of will.

That said, the one piece that doesn't fit for me is the MDC shield. Feels more generic super-powery, and can be used against technological opponents too.

So, I'm going to run a Sea Inquisitor in this next campaign, but ask the GM if I can replace the MDC shield with the following.

Supernatural SDC Conversion:
Whenever an MDC attack from a supernatural source (magic, psychic power, magical weapon, the hand-to-hand attacks of supernatural creatures, ect) would do damage to your personal SDC or hit points, that attack is automatically converted to SDC.

Example: A Sea Inquisitor with 35 SDC and 12 Hit Points, wearing armor with 2 MDC remaining, takes a 5 MD from a demon's claws. The first two 2 MD destroy her armor. The remaining 3 MD are converted to SDC, reducing her SDC total to 32. Had she taken the same 5 MD from a plasma rifle, the remaining 3 MD would not be converted, obliterating her SDC and HP.

The idea is to have a character who is still, fundamentally mortal and vulnerable, but who can throw down in a fist fight against supernatural opponents. What do you think?
Last edited by EliBenedict on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Alternative to Sea Inquisitor MDC shield

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Wouldn't it just be easier to only allow the MDC shield to protect against SN/Magical attacks and be useless against tech/normal attacks? That seems to retain the intent of the ability.

There is precedent for all 3 approaches:
1. you have various races (and/or classes) that can generate a protective shield as an ability/power
2. the Psi-Stalker race activates an "MDC-Mode" when fighting SN/Magical (through it also works against tech)
3. the Psi-Slinger (IIRC) in New West can convert (certain) MD to SD attacks.
EliBenedict
Wanderer

Re: Alternative to Sea Inquisitor MDC shield

Unread post by EliBenedict »

ShadowLogan wrote:Wouldn't it just be easier to only allow the MDC shield to protect against SN/Magical attacks and be useless against tech/normal attacks? That seems to retain the intent of the ability.

There is precedent for all 3 approaches:
1. you have various races (and/or classes) that can generate a protective shield as an ability/power
2. the Psi-Stalker race activates an "MDC-Mode" when fighting SN/Magical (through it also works against tech)
3. the Psi-Slinger (IIRC) in New West can convert MD to SD attacks.

I suppose it would be easier (and that's a fine approach) but it's a little different than the feel I was going for. A Sea Inquisitor with a supernatural-specific MDC shield who gets into a tussle with a demon could stuff several attacks and still come out without a scratch on them (since the shield took the hit, not their body.) With this power (assuming they survived the fight) the Sea Inquisitor would be bruised and bloodied, but not immediately shredded into coleslaw. For me, it gives more the feel of Indiana Jones than the Green Lantern (or something like that.)

Return to “Rifts®”