Atlantean Monster Shaping Tattoo

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Atlantean Monster Shaping Tattoo

Unread post by darthauthor »

So an Atlantean from the Skellian Clan want a new monster shaping tattoo.

They already got one for the Xiticix. Used it to sneak into a hive and rescue some people.

They want to get another tattoo for Vampires.

So the question is can the Atlantean Monster Hunter OCC have their monster shaping tattoo be a vampire?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Atlantean Monster Shaping Tattoo

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

It would have to be a vampire of an initial species larger than the Atlantean, and it would probably just be a SDC/HP shape, which wouldn't grant any vampire abilities. Their tattoos also stay visible.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I thought about it more.

The size has to be the same or bigger.

1. IF it is a humaniod race that is bigger the Atlantean as a vampire than yes. They would look like a vampire to others. To another vampire, even if they appear as a vampire they would be seen as a vampire from a different vampire intelligence.

2. They would only get the P.S., P.P. and P.E.
Fangs too, so they could do a bite attack, 2d6 MD
They would get the MD of the vampire

IF it worked, it might fool a Dog Boy or others into believing the character was a real vampire.
Basically, I see it as a distraction. Blame the attack on vampires. Scare others into thinking you are a vampire.
It is more about the disguise.

It is NOT great for combat. There are better options.
Monster shaped vampire form would not have any of the invulnerabilities, senses, regeneration, or shape shifting forms (mist, bat, etc.).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:So the question is can the Atlantean Monster Hunter OCC have their monster shaping tattoo be a vampire?

While nothing specifically in WB6/BoM says you cannot do this per say IMHO the implied answer though is: No, they cannot duplicate the undead Vampire as described in WB1o/r as there are a few issues:
1. The Vampire is a possessed corpse animated by an essence fragment from a Vampire Intelligence (at least Masters are IIRC, not sure about the Secondary and Wild off hand) usually (there is the necro ritual of course that skips the essence fragment somehow).
2. How do you depict a vampire? Since there is no "standard" form given the variety of races that can be turned and you can't impersonate someone. How would that be depicted to create the shell.
3. You can't duplicate all of the Vampires powers and abilities via Tats, which could give you away or raise questions in the aftermath (examples: resistances if they appear to take damage from attacks they are immune to, or they don't turn into Mist to escape after being cornered).
4. There are limits on what can be done via the MS Tat, and an undead Vampire might be outside of that range. You can't use MS Tats to "Turn to Mist" or appear as a Bone Fiend (PF's LotD2) due to their nature and how the MS Tats work (which is to create a "shell" around the TA).

Now there are monster races that could be a stand-in like Giant Vampire Bat (WB6pg41-2, I want to say there is also something in WB1), but if you want to impersonate an undead vampire as a TA there are probably easier ways than getting a Magic MS Tat for the fangs.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd lean towards "cannot do vampire"; Monster Shaping isn't "Change your shape" (since TAs can't), it's "Make magic power armor that looks like something else".
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Going off of the info in WB6 I'd say you'd look like a vampire, but you'd only get the powers the tattoo gives you. So while you look like a vampire you're still vulnerable to normal MD attacks and what have you.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”