Idea of what each spell level is capable of?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Commana1
Newb

Idea of what each spell level is capable of?

Unread post by Commana1 »

So, I have gotten into homebrewing spells for the Rifts Megaverse System (or Palladium Games System or whatever the official term would be) and while the systems for spell creation given in "Palladium Fantasy: Mysteries of Magic" and "Nightbane World Book 3: Through the Glass Darkly" are nice and all. I do find issues with the usages of it.

Issue number 1: A tad bit too complicated for when I just want a simple easy way to deem the general limits of a spell level. I get that level 1 would probably be very minor spells that are not all that impressive, level 15 spells are really powerful, and spells of legends tell the limits of previous levels of magic to go screw off with the caveat that they cost significantly more P.P.E, often reaching into the thousands. But I still need an idea of just how outlandish or useful the feats of magic a spell level is capable of.

Issue number 2: the benchmarking system (which may only be found in the Nightbane one I mentioned? Cannot remember), which involves using pre-existing spells as a reference for how to design the new spell. It is cool and all, and it has helped me homebrew a little bit. But it also feeds into the first issue in that it is complicated searching for a spell that can provide a basis for the effects of the new magic. Plus, in the event that I cannot find a spell with a similar enough effect to modify, it pretty much makes the benchmarking part of the process completely fall apart.

That is... Actually the only issues I can think of off the top of my head, but they are still problematic enough.

Now, I think the idea of the simple format I would like answers in for this question would be something like this:

Level 1: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 2: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 3: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 4: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 5: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 6: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 7: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 8: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 9: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 10: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 11: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 12: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 13: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 14: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Level 15: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)
Spells of Legend: (insert summary of the general capabilities of magic at this spell level here)

In case those who decide to answer are not clear on what I mean by this, I will use any example of a similar sort of thing from the rules of another RPG, Classic WODs mage the ascension in this case (albeit from a wiki fandom page that details the spellcasting system in question): https://saligia.fandom.com/wiki/Rules_o ... ence_Chart

That magical reference chart has a section labeled as "Magickal Feats", which details how powerful/spectacular a feat can be achieved with a certain number of successes. I sort of want something to that effect but in regards to the rifts magic system and its spell levels, just like the general capabilities and limits of what magic of that spell level can do.

Please and thanks in advance for any of you who have a good idea for such guidelines.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”