Splugorth Ships

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cougro
D-Bee

Splugorth Ships

Unread post by Cougro »

In South America (WB 06) the Splugorth have the Splugorth Slaver Raider, and the Splugorth Slaver Mothership. There is no information on the sensors and communication range of either of these ships. Where would the sensor information for these vehicles be found?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Splugorth Ships

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Vehicle defaults is to assume Robot-level sensors in other vehicles. World Book 7 doesn't have these two vessels, but two different ones with magical sensors which could be substituted in I suppose (maybe for the Mothership and not the Raider)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

ShadowLogan wrote:Vehicle defaults is to assume Robot-level sensors in other vehicles. World Book 7 doesn't have these two vessels, but two different ones with magical sensors which could be substituted in I suppose (maybe for the Mothership and not the Raider)

I do not think so, it is never stated to my knowledge, I find it hard to believe this given vehicles like hover cycles and cars. Based of examples of ships in under seas, they do lost sensors for specific models but not generic archtypes of ships. The raider and mother ship is specific model so without a statement about default sensor systems they have none unless they are listed.

It is possible that they are transport vehicles the spugorth never bothered to give sensors or radios. They rely on portable radios and systems built into units they transport.

As a GM I might allow radar/sonar range of 5 miles and coms equal to a backpack unit in ships. But there is no default sensors/comms for vehicles.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Vehicle defaults is to assume Robot-level sensors in other vehicles. World Book 7 doesn't have these two vessels, but two different ones with magical sensors which could be substituted in I suppose (maybe for the Mothership and not the Raider)

I do not think so, it is never stated to my knowledge, I find it hard to believe this given vehicles like hover cycles and cars. Based of examples of ships in under seas, they do lost sensors for specific models but not generic archtypes of ships. The raider and mother ship is specific model so without a statement about default sensor systems they have none unless they are listed.

It is possible that they are transport vehicles the spugorth never bothered to give sensors or radios. They rely on portable radios and systems built into units they transport.

As a GM I might allow radar/sonar range of 5 miles and coms equal to a backpack unit in ships. But there is no default sensors/comms for vehicles.

I don't dispute this, but I also think it would be very dumb of them to not have the electronics (or the magic equivalent) so I would assume that some form of equipment is available.

Maybe I should have said large combat vehicles, I took that as read to be the intent since that is the type in question. I do agree there are likely examples that exist that shouldn't have all those features that fall under the common sense clause (like civilian hovercycles and cars).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the WB6-SA1 ships are said to be built as a kittani and Kydian collab, so i'd assume they have the same sorts of sensors as the New Navy or NGR navy (WB7, pg. 128, which seems to be largely the same stuff as Robots, but with sonar and a few other systems. the big mothership almost certainly has the more powerful radar listed, the smaller raider ships perhaps not.) the kittani are primarily tech focused, and the kydians don't seem to have any specific magical inclination. odds are the design is mostly kittani, and the kydians were involved as the commissioners of the contract, since they make up the bulk of atlantis's raiding forces.

the WB7 ships seem to be 'splugorth' built with emphasis on magic rather than tech, so i'd use the magical sensing systems listed for them. there doesn't seem to be a lot of collaboration between the magical and tech crafting sides of the Splugorth at Atlantis, beyond basics. so i can buy that the more magically focused ships might lack things like radar and sonar in favor of magical perception abilities. it would certainly fit with the attitude of superiority towards magic that the splugorth seem to have. if you don't consider that sufficient, i'd just give them sensors comparable to robots, with an added sonar system with similar range to the robot radar.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Cougro
D-Bee

Unread post by Cougro »

The reason that I asked is primarily that several ships have long range missiles and long range weapons (20 miles). So as a house rule, for artillery and other long range direct fire weapons I assume a max range of the main weapon +50% for their radar. As for Communications I use a base of 500 miles for simple communications and 1500 for more advanced systems.

Thanks for all your input I appreciate your thoughts and welcome any future suggestions.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

it is worth noting that there are a lot of units that carry LRm's but not long range radar's to make use of the missile's range. a lot of units seem to carry them for their sheer hitting power rather than range.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Cougro
D-Bee

Unread post by Cougro »

I have seen very few vehicles of any kind with a sensor suite capable of handling the firing of long range missiles at even a fraction of their range. I consider all missiles to be in a category all by themselves when determining in my game the unspecified range of their missiles. Whether they be on space ships, land or sea based craft.

Return to “Rifts®”