Powers Unlimited 2: Immortal magic questions

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

5IronBadger
D-Bee

Powers Unlimited 2: Immortal magic questions

Unread post by 5IronBadger »

I have a couple of questions about the Immortals who receive magic spells. I have not found any answers in the FAQ.
1. Can the Immortals who know spells (PU2 pg. 64) learn more spells the same way the Mystic Study background from HU2 can (HU2 pg. 151 and 152)?
2. Does the "Magic: A Spell Casting Wizard" and the "Wizard Supreme" Immortal powers (PU2 pg. 64) have the other abilities of the Wizard (Astral projection, sense enchantment, skills of magical knowledge, etc.) from HU2 pg. 152 and 153?

What do you guys think?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Powers Unlimited 2: Immortal magic questions

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

They don't learn additional spells. The reason for this is because the magic part is in addition to any other superpowers or abilities they may have received as part of what typeof immortal they are.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

5IronBadger wrote:I have a couple of questions about the Immortals who receive magic spells. I have not found any answers in the FAQ.
1. Can the Immortals who know spells (PU2 pg. 64) learn more spells the same way the Mystic Study background from HU2 can (HU2 pg. 151 and 152)?

❖ Within the text of the Immortal section of the PU2 book, there is no text, excluding the 'wizard supreme' selection, the immortals do not receive any 'level up' spells.
❖ Are they able to be taught spells or learn spells via spell scroll conversion? There no text covering these options. Nether including nor excluding.

2. Does the "Magic: A Spell Casting Wizard" and the "Wizard Supreme" Immortal powers (PU2 pg. 64) have the other abilities of the Wizard (Astral projection, sense enchantment, skills of magical knowledge, etc.) from HU2 pg. 152 and 153?

What do you guys think?

There no text covering these options. Nether including nor excluding.

As I make chars and look at things as a GM:
❖ With both the "Magic: A Spell Casting Wizard" and the "Wizard Supreme" I treat them as if they were the a mage-one who studies the Magical Sciences (see MoM1 page 7 for definitions of magic user types)...like the mystic study (or a Magic OCC mage). The SCW &WS having the same abilities as the Mystic Study. But with he WS stated level up spell text taking president over the MS level up spells text.
❖ With the Magic and super powers (or w/psi powers)...this ""can"" be treated as if the char as if it was a 'Half Wizard' from the PF:MoM1. In that they were a student of magic but when they gained their super powers they dropped their study of magic to use/explore the use of their super powers. As such they are not interested in continuing their magic studies and don't get any new spells as they level up, and not learning spells from spell scrolls or being taught.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
5IronBadger
D-Bee

Unread post by 5IronBadger »

Thank you both for your feedback/thoughts.

I think it was how the backgrounds were titled that confused me. I was over thinking.
The key is what text is there and what text is not.

Also, thanks drewkitty ~..~ for the recommendation of Mysteries of Magic. I had not looked into that Palladium book before. However, it looks like a great source book to use. :)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Just remember that the HU power cats might be a bit 'incompleat' in that they don't cover the background the player intends for their char.(aliens & immortals mostly) In thisI would recommend to be flexible about allowing the player to write up their own background to replace the sample backgrounds presented in the books.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Just remember that the HU power cats might be a bit 'incompleat' in that they don't cover the background the player intends for their char.(aliens & immortals mostly) In thisI would recommend to be flexible about allowing the player to write up their own background to replace the sample backgrounds presented in the books.

I know that quite a few GMs allow you to dual class to get the full bonuses when it comes to magic users with superpowers. The Immortal category is already a bit overpowered though, so it really comes down to what power level your game is and what the GM will allow.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”