Chunky Salsa...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Chunky Salsa...

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

In other game systems there are "chunky salsa" rules for explosions in a confined space, but I haven't seen anything like that in Rifts. So if there are no rules for it, how would you do it, or would you even bother?

The reason I ask is that we came up with a strategy in combat that we found out was pretty effective, with the house rules we implemented, but we are thinking about tweaking them because it was so effective. Anyways, what happened was, Player 1 lobbed a grenade at an enemy, then Player 2 threw a Telekinetic Force Field around both the enemy and the grenade. We figured the explosion would do double damage inside such a confined space. The next time they did that, the damage was enough to take down the force field so we figure the damage at 1.5 times, as some of the power escaped.

Has anyone else encountered a scenario like this? Any help or just thoughts would be appreciated.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Chunky Salsa...

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

closest we have is the "point blank explosions" rule KS added
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

glitterboy2098 wrote:closest we have is the "point blank explosions" rule KS added

Where would I find that?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Best Example for Rifts Specific is the Original Conversion Book, around page 15-20 were it is clarifying some rules.

It has some optional rules for Blood Loss, Pain, Point-Blank Range, and Explosives. Of course it is primary for the SDC side of thing, however it also stresses to use common sense.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

While such situational math might be more realistic, realism isnt quite what I'm goin for when I pull out the ultimate book of pandmensional gonzo action.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

HarleeKnight wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:closest we have is the "point blank explosions" rule KS added

Where would I find that?

Conversion book 1 (Unrevised at least, not sure off the top of my head if the revised keeps it), had a Q&A section. One of the questions delt with grenades, where a juicer or some other character with lots of SDC could dive on an SDC grenade (which did 2d4*10 SDC), and then just get up and brush himself off because he still had tons of SDC left. I think it was something like double max damage directly to HP in that case. So a 2d4*10 grendae would do 160 to HP directly if you dive on it, fatal in all but the most unusual cases.

Think less "Oh my hatchling dragon has 400 MDC, and the plasma grenade only does 5d6, I can dive on it and he'll be fine". No, the dragon will probablly survive but probablly lost his spleen until he can bio-regenerate it.

Do note that armor is armor, and the rule doesn't say what happens if a glitter boy in full armor dives on the grenade. I think one could adopt a general "double maximum damage" for grenades in closed spaces reasonably.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Think less "Oh my hatchling dragon has 400 MDC, and the plasma grenade only does 5d6, I can dive on it and he'll be fine". No, the dragon will probablly survive but probablly lost his spleen until he can bio-regenerate it.

In that section he states

A Note about M.D. Creatures wrote:
"Mega-damage creatures are different than creatures of human flesh and blood. M.D.C. flesh is a special armor-like skin that is resistant even to most point-blank attacks. They can use their bodies to smother an M.D.C. grenade or block a particle beam. While the blast will hurt, it will not kill until all mega-damage points have been depleted. The only possible exception may be a direct and powerful point-blank shot to the head; GM's discretion."

Now, if it were up to me I'd suggest that is more relevant towards "Supernatural" creatures, as opposed to "Creatures of Magic", or "random mortal with MD skin"
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Incriptus wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Think less "Oh my hatchling dragon has 400 MDC, and the plasma grenade only does 5d6, I can dive on it and he'll be fine". No, the dragon will probablly survive but probablly lost his spleen until he can bio-regenerate it.

In that section he states

A Note about M.D. Creatures wrote:
"Mega-damage creatures are different than creatures of human flesh and blood. M.D.C. flesh is a special armor-like skin that is resistant even to most point-blank attacks. They can use their bodies to smother an M.D.C. grenade or block a particle beam. While the blast will hurt, it will not kill until all mega-damage points have been depleted. The only possible exception may be a direct and powerful point-blank shot to the head; GM's discretion."

Now, if it were up to me I'd suggest that is more relevant towards "Supernatural" creatures, as opposed to "Creatures of Magic", or "random mortal with MD skin"

Sadly Palladium isn't always clear on which creatures are which when it comes to that type of thing. Sometimes they tell you one category , sometimes they tell you one category only to start confusing readers by using the term for the other category. Occasionally they tell you, but it's located in the description of something else entirely. Usually though they say nothing.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Sharks in the salsa.

8D
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

CyCo wrote:Sharks in the salsa.

8D

I hate that. They have no respect for the person that made the salsa; they just show up & dive right in. Sheesh!
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

BookWyrm wrote:
CyCo wrote:Sharks in the salsa.

8D

I hate that. They have no respect for the person that made the salsa; they just show up & dive right in. Sheesh!

Unless it's Skull Island Salsa. Then the sharks are just added protein.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”