Rifts Pets

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rifts Pets

Unread post by 13eowulf »

So been thinking about the idea of pets, or animal companions, bound through plain old loyalty and/or love, nothing preternatural.

There is the Whisker Coyote from new west, the two bio-creations in the Vampires sourcebook, and of course the various robo-pet entries. Can anyone else think of other entries that are explicitly listed as pets/companions?

Also, how would you classify a pet, mechanics wise? Are they equipment or something else?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
kaid
Knight

Re: Rifts Pets

Unread post by kaid »

13eowulf wrote:So been thinking about the idea of pets, or animal companions, bound through plain old loyalty and/or love, nothing preternatural.

There is the Whisker Coyote from new west, the two bio-creations in the Vampires sourcebook, and of course the various robo-pet entries. Can anyone else think of other entries that are explicitly listed as pets/companions?

Also, how would you classify a pet, mechanics wise? Are they equipment or something else?

You won't see them listed to often in the OCC stat blocks unfortunately. Some like lemurians always have the option for a lemur pet but mostly its something you pick up in play. For things like simvan/psi stalkers/psi druids/mages there are a number of avenues to pick up pets/minions as you go along.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

A pet mechanics wise is both a NPC and equipment.

It is equipment because it is something the player owns and may be purchased, traded for, or given to acquire like equipment. It is also something the player may use. It is not something the player typically rolls up with. Some magic forces may grant pets or force things to be pets.

It is a NPC because it takes actions on its own and the GM is ultimately responsible for its actions. (some GMs may let the player run the pet as a sub PC)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

FWIW, I have the CS have a breed of dog, the "Missouri Hill Dog", that's incredibly intelligent for an animal, but not human smart, based on the Bounders from After the Bomb. Haven't worked up exact stats, 'cause I'm lazy, but they're popular throughout the Mississippi and Great Lakes watersheds... some newly introduced from Lone Star, others descended from the pre-Rifts survivors. Non-MDC, but a "smart dog".
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Rifter 21 has a bunch of familiars, some of which could easily be used as pets as well.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Mark Hall wrote:FWIW, I have the CS have a breed of dog, the "Missouri Hill Dog", that's incredibly intelligent for an animal, but not human smart, based on the Bounders from After the Bomb. Haven't worked up exact stats, 'cause I'm lazy, but they're popular throughout the Mississippi and Great Lakes watersheds... some newly introduced from Lone Star, others descended from the pre-Rifts survivors. Non-MDC, but a "smart dog".

Not a horrible idea. We know that the CS uses genetically engineered cows to produce more, better tasting meat.

A market in 'Non Dog boy, dogs" could be pretty good. Thing is I'm not sure they'd up the intelligence on them. I WOULD see the Cs having breeders that specialize in breeds that 'mimic' popular dog boy breeds.

As in fully mundane dogs, that are purposefully bread/pure bred, to appear like popular or famous dog boys.

Your favorite dog boy in that recruitment poster (With it's human superiors, clearly) is a Doberman Dog boy? Why... you can buy this pure bred doberman to have around your own home! Your favorite one from that promotional video, a Irish Terrier, well this breeder over here specializes in Irish terriers. Etc.

That seems like a very Coalition States sort of thing to do. In the CS Dog boys are much loved and adored. (And usually 'seen' as very smart animals. Not intelligent furry 'people')

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:FWIW, I have the CS have a breed of dog, the "Missouri Hill Dog", that's incredibly intelligent for an animal, but not human smart, based on the Bounders from After the Bomb. Haven't worked up exact stats, 'cause I'm lazy, but they're popular throughout the Mississippi and Great Lakes watersheds... some newly introduced from Lone Star, others descended from the pre-Rifts survivors. Non-MDC, but a "smart dog".

Not a horrible idea. We know that the CS uses genetically engineered cows to produce more, better tasting meat.

A market in 'Non Dog boy, dogs" could be pretty good. Thing is I'm not sure they'd up the intelligence on them. I WOULD see the Cs having breeders that specialize in breeds that 'mimic' popular dog boy breeds.

As in fully mundane dogs, that are purposefully bread/pure bred, to appear like popular or famous dog boys.

Your favorite dog boy in that recruitment poster (With it's human superiors, clearly) is a Doberman Dog boy? Why... you can buy this pure bred doberman to have around your own home! Your favorite one from that promotional video, a Irish Terrier, well this breeder over here specializes in Irish terriers. Etc.

That seems like a very Coalition States sort of thing to do. In the CS Dog boys are much loved and adored. (And usually 'seen' as very smart animals. Not intelligent furry 'people')

The upped intelligence comes from the Pre-Rifts versions; Lone Star just pumps out copies of those, in addition to the other sorts they may have. I can also see the CS really supporting the keeping of dogs and cats, as they've got magic/psionic detection abilities.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Ehh while the original pure bred stock no doubt came from lone Star. I don't see them in the business of making them on the regular. They've got bigger and better things to spend their time/money on.

established breeders 'In CS Society' could take it up after that. People looooove dogs.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

And if you're a Crazy, your pet can be both a comic device and emergency rations.

"What did you call your...pet clam?"
"Mister Chowder. I've taught him to whistle like a boiling put!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

taalismn wrote:And if you're a Crazy, your pet can be both a comic device and emergency rations.

Reminds me of a animaiton where they had a pet cat as emergency rations.

Also the peanut brittle using the pet elephant in dark legacy comics.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:
taalismn wrote:And if you're a Crazy, your pet can be both a comic device and emergency rations.

Reminds me of a animaiton where they had a pet cat as emergency rations.

Excel Saga, I believe.
The pet was actually more intelligent than the peple were, and was plotting their demises)though whether this was because they'd already declared the cat was a back-up food supply or for some other reason, wasn't clear).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Any normal human in Rifts who doesn't keep a cat/dog/horse around as a pet is either destitute or insane. The free sixth sense / sense evil is too good to pass up.
taalismn
Priest

Axelmania wrote:Any normal human in Rifts who doesn't keep a cat/dog/horse around as a pet is either destitute or insane. The free sixth sense / sense evil is too good to pass up.

Indeed, and it makes for dramatic decision-making in the middle of a firefight/monster attack, since the GM might use the pet as a hostage; does the PC save himself, or risk life and limb to save his pet? And the PCs' treatment of their pets may just impact how others see them; wilderness-attuned folk may take exception to people who are seen as abusing their animals(the criteria varying from actual neglect to just keeping the critter on a lease).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Well it's not like they're all immune to fear. When something supernatural comes around they're much more likely to just haul rear out of the area. It's not like they're supernatural Radar. If yo'ure lucky you might see fido or Whiskers tearing off. Which could mean anything from 'Dragon coming' to "It smelled a dinosaur a quarter mile off".

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I've had several characters that had mundane animals as pets. Birds and dogs work well. Cats not so well since they won't follow you around.

As a mage, I find that having a pet can be life saving since opponents will often waste a shot to waste your pet rather than you on the assumption that the pet is actually a familiar.

My mind bleeder always kept birds around so that he could possess them. I don't recall that he ever grew attached to any.

Most importantly, pets can be a nice way of adding flavor to a character.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Axelmania
Knight

The problem of them reacting to scents can be fixed by keeping them in air-controlled environments. If you kept a pet cat inside your robot vehicle, for example, the air filtering system should prevent them from reacting to smells, and emphasize only their supernatural detection abilities.

It never occurred to me to try Mentally Possess Others on animals... very good idea. Could you also Hypnotic Suggest a dog to bite the hand that feeds it? That might require a Language skill to undertand verbal suggestions though...
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

13eowolf wrote:So been thinking about the idea of pets, or animal companions, bound through plain old loyalty and/or love, nothing preternatural.

Companions that come to mind:
-WB2 Dragonsaur (IIRC, I know at least one of the creatures in there is a pet/guard dog)
-W20 (Canada) also has sled dogs (also bears, wolves, and foxes)
-WB2's Tattoo magic also has entries for more common pets among their animal selection (can be used for relevant or part of the relevant info)
-WB14 has snakes and insect/arachnids that could be kept as "pet", not sure if they qualify as companion useful though
-Main Book/Canada (maybe elsewhere) has the Fury Beetle (it can be domesticated)
-WB14 IIRC also mentions that some dinosaurs can be domesticated
-WB14 also has horses
-SB1 IINM has a mount, so it could be seen as a "companion" (forget the name off hand, Ostro-something)
-Zombie, Mummy, and Golems can be thought of as "pets" to I suppose
-WB12 Dragoncat, WB9 (IIRC) Bloodlizard, WB14's Psi-Pony might all qualify,though they form bonds so might not qualify

It should be noted that some races (ex Simvan) can "tame" creatures that might not normally be thought of as "pets" or "domesticated". Vampires, and other Supernatural/magical creatures are also known to take humans (and others) as "slaves" or "pets".

As for classification, I agree with Blue_Lion they are both equipment and an NPC.

Pepsi Jedi wrote: Which could mean anything from 'Dragon coming' to "It smelled a dinosaur a quarter mile off".

Or worse a squirrel or something else mudane.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Don't forget PF Monsters and Animals for stats on tons of common animals which would work as pets or familiars. There are maybe a handful of monsters that might work as pets, familiars or companions (Hytril come to mind, though may be more trouble than they are worth).
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

ShadowLogan wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote: Which could mean anything from 'Dragon coming' to "It smelled a dinosaur a quarter mile off".

Exactly. A good GM would let your 'I'm going to have a dog as a free supernatural detector" work once.. or twice.. then he'd totally start screwing with you on it. Till you ignored your dog the 48th time he freaked over the raccoon and suddenly that raccoon morphed into a pissy great horned dragon and smacked you around.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Exactly. A good GM would let your 'I'm going to have a dog as a free supernatural detector" work once.. or twice.. then he'd totally start screwing with you on it. Till you ignored your dog the 48th time he freaked over the raccoon and suddenly that raccoon morphed into a pissy great horned dragon and smacked you around.

I would not let it be a free detector, an untrained dog would react to lots of things the same. That could draw in threats by its barking at squirels and such.
To be effective it would need to be trained and that takes allot of time. It would be a level of training seen in police or military working dogs. Requiring constant upkeep. The training would require months with its handler in a controlled envorment, not traveling through the woods. Quicker to hire a feral dog boy or wild psi-stalker

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

flatline wrote:As a mage, I find that having a pet can be life saving since opponents will often waste a shot to waste your pet rather than you on the assumption that the pet is actually a familiar.
--flatline

LMAO! Great tactic but it seems a little harsh. I love it.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
taalismn
Priest

Dear god...it's 'Springtime for Ming (the) Merciless'.... :|
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
bobharly
Explorer

Unread post by bobharly »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

I would not let it be a free detector, an untrained dog would react to lots of things the same. That could draw in threats by its barking at squirels and such.
To be effective it would need to be trained and that takes allot of time. It would be a level of training seen in police or military working dogs. Requiring constant upkeep. The training would require months with its handler in a controlled envorment, not traveling through the woods. Quicker to hire a feral dog boy or wild psi-stalker

To use the pet as a second line of defense the handler would have to have some sort of animal attunement. To most people, a barking dog sounds the same whether it's barking for attention, dinner, at a squirrel or signalling danger. If you have no skill in handling dogs, how are you really going to know? As for the issue of training the dog itself, a trained dog would clearly be superior and easier to understand than an untrained dog. But you still have to know a bit about handling animals to really get the most out of that.

But let's assume we are talking about a companion pet. Eventually you would learn the nuances in the pet's personality and signals. I had a dog when I was kid, who when he felt threatened, he would get real quiet and the hair would lift on the back of his neck. He never barked when he felt threatened. One of my current dogs will yelp with fear at a distance from an intruder (which sounds totally different from "feed me," which in turn sounds different from "let me in," which sounds different from, "these kids are bothering me"). Getting to know your pet takes time (months or years), so in the beginning you'd be second guessing whether it's a squirrel or dragon? But eventually you could know the difference (not squirrel vs. dragon example, but rather being territorial with a critter vs. calling out a serious danger) if you cared about the animal as a companion. But then, if you care about it, it's gonna suck when it gets killed. Which brings us back around to the idea that the dog is equipment. Is his life expendable for yours? And if you view him as expendable, how attuned will you be to him?

The game tends to simplify stuff like this or don't even address it. So it is really up to GM interpretation and player investment in roleplaying the companion relationship.

And one final thought on trained animals. They signal detection on stimulus that they have been conditioned for. A bomb dog sniffs for a type of explosive. Drug dogs look for certain types of drugs found in that area. Medical dogs sniff for a specific disease or cancer cells. So if you have a trained dog, it is likely trained for a specific danger like Vampires. Or Dragons. Or Demons. Or Cyborgs. So a trained dog isn't going to help in all situations unless the GM wants to interpret trained liberally (which could be fine for a fictional game).
Axelmania
Knight

If I make a cat into an animal mummy would it keep it's psi?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:If I make a cat into an animal mummy would it keep it's psi?

By RAW... No. There does not seem to be any allowance for previous capacity/ability to be carried over. There is no text for the Mummy or Zombie that says something like: "magical/psychic powers are retained", so I don't see an animal mummy/zombie carrying over their psychic ability.

Now there could be a variant of the spell/ritual in question I'm not familiar with, and one could also house rule it as such.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Axelmania wrote:If I make a cat into an animal mummy would it keep it's psi?

Depends if you use the normal spell or create a feline Mummy Imortalus ala Monsters and Animals.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Axelmania
Knight

Page 121 mentions a spell of legend but not the PPE cost... kind of hard to use.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

If your doing savage rifts there is an edge that covers this :)
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

taalismn wrote:

Dear god...it's 'Springtime for Ming (the) Merciless'.... :|

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Page 121 mentions a spell of legend but not the PPE cost... kind of hard to use.

There are a lot of incomplete spells. Many of them are spells like this that seem to be designed to not be used "in play" and as such don't have information for things like PPE, ritual elements, saves, dangers, etc. Which is fine since the spell can not be learned in play by anyone with out the GM explicitly providing a teacher for it (there is no canon way to just 'learn' a SoL) so if they put the spell into their game, then presumably they have also put in the details that they want to use in as well.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

13eowulf wrote:snip….

Not equipment.
However, the equipment section is where I would list the pet on a paper char sheet.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

bobharly wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

To use the pet as a second line of defense the handler would have to have some sort of animal attunement. To most people, a barking dog sounds the same whether it's barking for attention, dinner, at a squirrel or signalling danger. If you have no skill in handling dogs, how are you really going to know? As for the issue of training the dog itself, a trained dog would clearly be superior and easier to understand than an untrained dog. But you still have to know a bit about handling animals to really get the most out of that.

But let's assume we are talking about a companion pet. Eventually you would learn the nuances in the pet's personality and signals. I had a dog when I was kid, who when he felt threatened, he would get real quiet and the hair would lift on the back of his neck. He never barked when he felt threatened. One of my current dogs will yelp with fear at a distance from an intruder (which sounds totally different from "feed me," which in turn sounds different from "let me in," which sounds different from, "these kids are bothering me"). Getting to know your pet takes time (months or years), so in the beginning you'd be second guessing whether it's a squirrel or dragon? But eventually you could know the difference (not squirrel vs. dragon example, but rather being territorial with a critter vs. calling out a serious danger) if you cared about the animal as a companion. But then, if you care about it, it's gonna suck when it gets killed. Which brings us back around to the idea that the dog is equipment. Is his life expendable for yours? And if you view him as expendable, how attuned will you be to him?

The game tends to simplify stuff like this or don't even address it. So it is really up to GM interpretation and player investment in roleplaying the companion relationship.

And one final thought on trained animals. They signal detection on stimulus that they have been conditioned for. A bomb dog sniffs for a type of explosive. Drug dogs look for certain types of drugs found in that area. Medical dogs sniff for a specific disease or cancer cells. So if you have a trained dog, it is likely trained for a specific danger like Vampires. Or Dragons. Or Demons. Or Cyborgs. So a trained dog isn't going to help in all situations unless the GM wants to interpret trained liberally (which could be fine for a fictional game).

in regards to training, Dead Reign has a dog handler class that includes details on the kinds of training they can give dogs, and how long that takes. this includes the regular stuff (drug sniffers, bomb sniffer, guard dogs, herding dogs, etc) and unconventional (supernatural sniffers)

and the Rise of Magic book for chaos earth has greater detail of how cats, dogs, and horses use their supernatural senses, and how they act when something supernatural is going on. even if the animal is not trained, someone who knows animals fairly well should be able to tell the difference between "i saw a squirrel" and "Run, a demon is coming after us" in terms of behavior, because they animals do specific things when they encounter such stuff.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

glitterboy2098 wrote:in regards to training, Dead Reign has a dog handler class that includes details on the kinds of training they can give dogs, and how long that takes. this includes the regular stuff (drug sniffers, bomb sniffer, guard dogs, herding dogs, etc) and unconventional (supernatural sniffers)

and the Rise of Magic book for chaos earth has greater detail of how cats, dogs, and horses use their supernatural senses, and how they act when something supernatural is going on. even if the animal is not trained, someone who knows animals fairly well should be able to tell the difference between "i saw a squirrel" and "Run, a demon is coming after us" in terms of behavior, because they animals do specific things when they encounter such stuff.

That makes sense.
I was watching the Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles recently, and all dogs reacted to the terminators in a warning growl/barking manner, even ones that had no training as guard or police, like one super friendly dog did this when a terminator was close by. So in Rifts dogs might do something similar to any cyborgs, robots or androids near by as well as supernatural. Just a thought.
Axelmania
Knight

SkyNet borgs may not be as advanced in imitating the human form as some disguised borgs in Rifts though, they might be able to duplicate human scent.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Axelmania wrote:SkyNet borgs may not be as advanced in imitating the human form as some disguised borgs in Rifts though, they might be able to duplicate human scent.

We don't know how the nuclear reactor in a borg converts heat to electric power, but odds are that it produces some amount of sound that dogs might be able to hear.

And seriously, in a setting where IR/thermal detectors are easily available, borgs would be easily detectable. Trying to disguise yourself as a normal human is hard when you have a nuclear reactor generating all sorts of heat.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Axelmania
Knight

For all we know the reactors used in Rifts are super-efficient and don't produce much wasted energy as heat, and super-insulated so that any that is produced is contained until it is dissipated.

Page 74 of the Bionics Sourcebook for the Cyber-Humanoid OCC mentions "sensors, metal detectors and x-ray machines" so I guess the first term is open-ended enough to possible include thermal.

In that case, these full-conversion borgs might want to wear some NE-C20 Camouflage Variable Armor (Mercs 124) since it blocks infrared emissions.

Anyone remember other ways to block infrared?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:For all we know the reactors used in Rifts are super-efficient and don't produce much wasted energy as heat, and super-insulated so that any that is produced is contained until it is dissipated.

Page 74 of the Bionics Sourcebook for the Cyber-Humanoid OCC mentions "sensors, metal detectors and x-ray machines" so I guess the first term is open-ended enough to possible include thermal.

In that case, these full-conversion borgs might want to wear some NE-C20 Camouflage Variable Armor (Mercs 124) since it blocks infrared emissions.

Anyone remember other ways to block infrared?

There is a stealth guilie suit in I think merc opps, that blocks thermal way more common way.(bonus to prowl and hides thermal signature.)
The sensor spoofers in juicer uprising for light armor can block thermal immersions as well as jam many other sensors and scatter targeting lasers.(Do the spoofers using jamming they can be detected by sensor operators as something is jamming in the area, but they make it hard for robots to target you.)

Thermal sensors for distance are generally optics, typically found in cyber eyes, or robot sensor sweets.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My two cents is that there seems to be no reason to assume that borgs are easily detectable since there are many examples of infiltrator borgs, often with cyber disguises. The idea that some unmentioned ability is making multiple OCCs actually incapable of performing their job seems... unlikely. Now if a particular gaming group wants to nerf cyborgs by making them more difficult to play... sure house rule away, but there is no reason I can see to assume that RAW they are easily detectable with out 'detailed medical scans' is I believe the term often bandied around.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:To use the pet as a second line of defense the handler would have to have some sort of animal attunement. To most people, a barking dog sounds the same whether it's barking for attention, dinner, at a squirrel or signalling danger. If you have no skill in handling dogs, how are you really going to know? As for the issue of training the dog itself, a trained dog would clearly be superior and easier to understand than an untrained dog. But you still have to know a bit about handling animals to really get the most out of that.

in regards to training, Dead Reign has a dog handler class that includes details on the kinds of training they can give dogs, and how long that takes. this includes the regular stuff (drug sniffers, bomb sniffer, guard dogs, herding dogs, etc) and unconventional (supernatural sniffers)

and the Rise of Magic book for chaos earth has greater detail of how cats, dogs, and horses use their supernatural senses, and how they act when something supernatural is going on. even if the animal is not trained, someone who knows animals fairly well should be able to tell the difference between "i saw a squirrel" and "Run, a demon is coming after us" in terms of behavior, because they animals do specific things when they encounter such stuff.[/quote]

A difference between "I saw a squirrel' and "Demon coming after us" yeah

but difference between "I smelled something scary" and "Demon coming after us" no.

For 1) Dogs aren't going to have names and indications like that. They'll have 'Fear responce" which yes, a terrorfied dog will look scared, but you're not going to be goin "Oh that's a demon right there. That's how fido holds his ears when he smells demons.. but when it's a dragon he does this thing with his tail, and if it's a werewolf he gets all randy"

It'll be 'Hey the dog's freaked out about something!"

And 2) If the dog runs off from the supernatural it's not going to be that much of a help other than "Dog ran off again, better look out"

3) Supernatural things, by and large are going to be smart enough to take fido out. Then come back when you're unaware or something or take the dog out from range, or first, etc. Thats if it hasnt' run and just not come back due to the utter horrifiying nature of the supernatual beast. (Horror factor)

if the dog has a 'fight' responce, well. that 'USED' to be a good dog. I say "used to" because in Rifts, 9 out of 10 supernatural ANYTHING are MDC creatures and your dog isn't. So if it growls and goes to bite the supernaturla thing. the supernatural thing's responce will likely to be some verson of "Dragon rips the dog's head from it's body and throws it at it's master's chest laughing"
Last edited by Pepsi Jedi on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Pepsi, can you please fix your quotes? you have me saying Blue Lion's post, and messed up my actual post.

also, have you read the entry? in creature of chaos (i had the wrong book, i apologize for that), pg 12.

it isn't just a "i saw something scary" response, it's a full on freakout. one where the canine acts like it's getting ready to fight to the death while also acting scared to death, which is not a normal response to say, another dog in its territory or smelling a normal predator. in such cases you usually get either just aggression or just fear.. not usually both turned up to 11.

by the write up, you might be able to mistake it's actions for normal stuff when the threat is a long ways off. but by the time the threat is within a few hundred feet, it will be clear your dealing with something out of the ordinary.

cats have a similar write up. horses are the one where regular behavior would be hard to separate from the sensing of the supernatural, since not only do they have longer ranged senses for it, but their response is basically a normal fear response.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Sorry about that. It gave me one of those 'Can't have 5 quotes" things and I missed the scalping on there.

I'll check Creatures of Chaos... Have to find it. Not a book I reference often. thanks.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

taalismn wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Any normal human in Rifts who doesn't keep a cat/dog/horse around as a pet is either destitute or insane. The free sixth sense / sense evil is too good to pass up.

Indeed, and it makes for dramatic decision-making in the middle of a firefight/monster attack, since the GM might use the pet as a hostage; does the PC save himself, or risk life and limb to save his pet? And the PCs' treatment of their pets may just impact how others see them; wilderness-attuned folk may take exception to people who are seen as abusing their animals(the criteria varying from actual neglect to just keeping the critter on a lease).

Does the PC see the pet as a work animal and a tool or a pet.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Does the PC see the pet as a work animal and a tool or a pet.

Depends on the pc and the animal.

Axelmania
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:A difference between "I saw a squirrel' and "Demon coming after us" yeah

but difference between "I smelled something scary" and "Demon coming after us" no.

I think dogs would react pretty differently. Annoyed territorial bark vs utter freakout mouth-foaming.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:For 1) Dogs aren't going to have names and indications like that. They'll have 'Fear responce" which yes, a terrorfied dog will look scared, but you're not going to be goin "Oh that's a demon right there. That's how fido holds his ears when he smells demons.. but when it's a dragon he does this thing with his tail, and if it's a werewolf he gets all randy"

I'm not even sure they could tell the difference to begin with.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:And 2) If the dog runs off from the supernatural it's not going to be that much of a help other than "Dog ran off again, better look out"

It might stay and bark in the direction of the danger, giving you a rough idea of it is, they're not all cowards.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:3) Supernatural things, by and large are going to be smart enough to take fido out. Then come back when you're unaware or something or take the dog out from range, or first, etc. Thats if it hasnt' run and just not come back due to the utter horrifiying nature of the supernatual beast. (Horror factor)

I don't agree that supernatural creatures are by and large smart, the majority might be dumb predators. A lot are also limited to melee actions and could move slower than a dog.

Plus you could always get more than one dog.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:if the dog has a 'fight' responce, well. that 'USED' to be a good dog. I say "used to" because in Rifts, 9 out of 10 supernatural ANYTHING are MDC creatures and your dog isn't. So if it growls and goes to bite the supernaturla thing. the supernatural thing's responce will likely to be some verson of "Dragon rips the dog's head from it's body and throws it at it's master's chest laughing"

Them being MDC is okay, per the Chaos Earth rules dogs inflict MD to all supernatural creatures.

The main problem is... simultaneous attacks.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

wait.. what? Lol Dogs are suddenly MDC now???

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:wait.. what? Lol Dogs are suddenly MDC now???

No, they deal MD to demons and many other supernatural monsters though.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

their bites inflict 1D6 md. whether to all supernatural creatures or just the chaos demons is open to interpritation, it is a bit ambigious. though it does seem to imply all supernatural creatures.

they remain SDC critters though, so they die easy. the book actually mentiones that specificalyl as a drawback of using dogs as weapons vs the supernatural.

though IMO you should be able to make some sort of canine armor for MDC protection. such stuff exists IRL for police dogs and the like, so there should probably be MDC dog armor already in existence, and scratch building some makeshift stuff from MDC scrap should be doable too.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Where's this rule at? I gotta read it. Dogs suddenly doing MDC damage is trippy.

Do dog boys suddenly do MDC too?

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Where's this rule at? I gotta read it. Dogs suddenly doing MDC damage is trippy.

Do dog boys suddenly do MDC too?

creatures of Chaos, pg 12

and the book does not mention dogboys. IMO i suspect whatever the CS did to make them humanoid and have human like intelligence messed up the "anti-supernatural bite" ability.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”