Iron Heart SPAAG

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

Iron Heart SPAAG

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out a design for an Iron Heart Self Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun. I've decided on using the Iron Fist/Bolt hull as a starting point. Right now I'm not sure if I should go for a turret with Multiple Iron heart Vulcan Lasers or a pair of the Main Rail Guns off the Hunter Mobile Gun.

The Idea is borrowerd from the ZSU-23-4. basically launchers like the iron Bolt force planes to fly low to the earth. that's where the SPAAG is waiting to shoot them down.

What does the rest of you think?
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Iron Heart SPAAG

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think you have the right chassis.

I'd think either a quad of the 30mm from the Iron Maiden or a dual Vulcan laser for the gun armament, plus maybe some Short Range Missiles for things that don't quite get into gun range. Add in some sophisticated surveillance and tracking radars as well.

Also, the Iron Bolt is significantly limited in sensors for use in the anti-aircraft role as well. Perhaps it should replace it's mini-missile systems with those if you are looking for a dedicated air defence system.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Jefffar wrote:I think you have the right chassis.

I'd think either a quad of the 30mm from the Iron Maiden or a dual Vulcan laser for the gun armament, plus maybe some Short Range Missiles for things that don't quite get into gun range. Add in some sophisticated surveillance and tracking radars as well.

I was thinking Quad 30mm as well. Their technology level really doesnt offer much more than that. Perhaps also add in 8-12 SRMs that accompany the 30mm, similar to that of the new Russian SA-22 to give it a longer engagement zone. I think the NG Hunters gun is too big to accommodate.

Jefffar wrote:Also, the Iron Bolt is significantly limited in sensors for use in the anti-aircraft role as well. Perhaps it should replace it's mini-missile systems with those if you are looking for a dedicated air defence system.

Or you can have a same chassis with a dedicated ADS that rolls around with the shooters. Its entire purpose could dedicate space to a radar that all the shooters can link into for a better site picture.

Make sure there is a "C2 link" that provides bonuses to those linked in to it (SPAAGs and Iron Bolts) similar to that of the Wild Weasel SAMAS, that NG walking gun bot, and pretty much any Robotech command and control variant mecha. Give it like +2 to strike, +3 Init or something like that.

I'd like to see more of this in Rifts.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

So the quad 30mm just makes sure it can shoot it down in 1 attack? Rifts doesn't really let you spray attack.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Rifts®”