Make me a Psionic power plz?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

Make me a Psionic power plz?

Unread post by Shadowdragon7 »

Hi Everyone I am new at creating powers and I am not very good at it. Can someone find a way to convert the psi-sword into a Psi-Mini Missile power and if that can't work then try to convert the telekinetic acceleration attack power into a power that sends 20 or 30 pound chunk of matter into a a 1d6x10+ missile that works against power armor?
42dragon
Explorer

Re: Make me a Psionic power plz?

Unread post by 42dragon »

Based on the typical damage, range, and ISP cost of canon psychic powers. A mini-missile equivalent isn't really plausible. If it would be possible you would probably be looking at roughly 100 ISP per use. For a psychic mini-missile with typical range (1 mile) and damage (1d6x10MD) probably no blast radius though. That wouldn't be very cost effective.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Considering how inefficient Mind Bolt is, a "psi-mini-missile" would be pretty insanely expensive.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

What about a elemental Psi Grenade?
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Theres a psi-bow power in South America 2.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

AzathothXy wrote:Theres a psi-bow power in South America 2.

SA2 pg145. This though is a class power, not generally available. Still it runs counter to the Mind Bolt argument.

Shadowdragon7 wrote:What about a elemental Psi Grenade?

I think this is better handled by TW device. SA2 also has rules for creating Psi-devices similar to TWdry.

Shadowdragon7 wrote:Hi Everyone I am new at creating powers and I am not very good at it. Can someone find a way to convert the psi-sword into a Psi-Mini Missile power and if that can't work then try to convert the telekinetic acceleration attack power into a power that sends 20 or 30 pound chunk of matter into a a 1d6x10+ missile that works against power armor?

If you do this on a ley line (or nexus) effects are a bit different as Range/Duration/Damge can be altered.

TK: Super allows for 100lbs doing 1d4MD, so with 1,000lbs (@ 10ISP per 100lbs) you could do 1d4x10. With 1,500lbs it would do 1d6x10. But you still need a massive object to move and the range isn't going to be as great depending on the level. Plus the ISP cost is going to be exhausting for most.

Using TK: AA though, you could simply allow it to fire a longer/larger "burst" at increased ISP cost. Range would still be an issue. And you'd be eating into ISP faster.

You could make Pyrokinesis: Fireball available as a stand alone power. 6d6 is in Mini-Missile damage scale, but the range will be less.

Alternatively if you can find a "Magic" Equivalent to the power, just work out a conversion for the PPE cost to ISP. Normally this is 1PPE = 2 ISP in TWdry (Psi-Tech its the reverse), though examples of Spell/Psionic overlap don't follow this (sometimes Psi is more efficient, other times its more expensive in the two quick examples I looked at).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ShadowLogan wrote:

SA2 pg. 145. This though is a class power, not generally available. Still it runs counter to the Mind Bolt argument.
...snip

The SA2 psi-bow power is a racial psi power and is not available, within canon, to any chars outside that race.

Shadowdragon7 wrote:Hi Everyone I am new at creating powers and I am not very good at it. Can someone find a way to convert the psi-sword into a Psi-Mini Missile power and if that can't work then try to convert the telekinetic acceleration attack power into a power that sends 20 or 30 pound chunk of matter into a a 1d6x10+ missile that works against power armor?

I will take them in inverted order...

The TKAccelA's damage is based on the amount of damage the psion expends not the size of the projectile according to the power's text. So it would not be too too far a stretch for a house rule to let the psion expend more to do more damage. What scaling you use would be up to the GM.

Converting the Psi-sword to fire off MD bolts...what I would suggest would be you change the concept of your idea. Using the concept of Psi-knives that can be thrown. And then after they hit they they are automatically recreated within the psion's hands.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

SA2 pg. 145. This though is a class power, not generally available. Still it runs counter to the Mind Bolt argument.
...snip

The SA2 psi-bow power is a racial psi power and is not available, within canon, to any chars outside that race.

Said race though is its own class, which still makes it a class power.

There are cases of some special class abilities being available to non-class members, this is not one of those cases though. So in general it would not be available.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sorry SL but when the RCC is a "Real RCC", where every member of the races has to have the Racial CC, it is more accurate to say they are racial powers. That way there is no misunderstanding. Because while 'yes' some normal CC powers and abilities are available to some chars outside that Class. This is not true with Racial Powers.
✦For racial powers it takes an "Act of GM" for the racial powers to be exported outside of the race. Which makes it a house rule.✦

Note: I did state that racial powers are 'not available' outside of the race 'within canon'. Because there is no mechanic within canon for that to happen.

Yes, I do speak in nuances.
[[Or to say I am (most of the time) careful with my wording to mean exactly what I mean.]]
I do speak more in nuances when talking about poorly worded canon text or about a class label that has been greatly mis-used in the canon text (RCC, used to cover Have to have racial class like with dragons, and being used to mean a class that is limited to only avalible to members of that race (like racial OCCs), and used to mislabel PCCs in rifts.)

If this had been just what could be conciderd a Racial OCC, I would not be discussing things out to the full extent.
However, .......The racial class being talked about is a 'have to have' RCC that is also a 'PCC'. That is also a part of the section of "mutant" races with racial powers which are unique to their races. *shrugs* Just taking Everything into account.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Does it matter really?
Its a Racial Class power. So it is BOTH a Racial power AND a Class power.
Its not exclusively one or the other its both
Your both right
Regardless of what you want to call it (racial power, class power) its a restricted power that is only available to members of this particular RCC.

None of which changes the fact that the proposition wasn't "This is just a class power so give it to people" but "Hey this unique power over here might be a useful template to build on if you want to use it for that." And in that role, as a template to look at....it doesn't matter what the powers source is
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

How about can someone make the Psi Chakram power more better and more correct? And make it controlled by the mind and do cool Zena warrior princess stuff?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Shadowdragon7 wrote:How about can someone make the Psi Chakram power more better and more correct? And make it controlled by the mind and do cool Zena warrior princess stuff?

Again its an issue of cost.
As written the Psi-Chakram effectively allows a person to triple their Attacks Per Melee (APM). Which, if allowed should come at a hideous price in ISP.
Making it into a mind controlled flying weapon (effectively an additional limb) would cost even more (at a minimum you would need to pay the price for TK the whole time its active)
And that's before the question of "why would a Cyber-Knight get a discount on this, since its not a Psi-Sword".....

Right now, your probably looking at something in the 100+ ISP per use range for that power to be honest......(Which is a steal compared to the 1000+ for a good Psi-Mini-Missile.....)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

how do we make the psi chakram cheaper?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty wrote:Sorry SL but when the RCC is a "Real RCC", where every member of the races has to have the Racial CC, it is more accurate to say they are racial powers. That way there is no misunderstanding. Because while 'yes' some normal CC powers and abilities are available to some chars outside that Class. This is not true with Racial Powers

Except this racial power is derived from genetic engineering modification, so another CC built around or subject to GE-mods could pull it off. Off hand I don't know of a class built like that for Rifts outside of maybe the Auto-G, but it is still possible with the proper circumstances. In this case though those circumstances are going to be hard to come by.

Shadowdragon7 wrote:how do we make the psi chakram cheaper?

Why would you need a Psi-Chakram? Something like this is probably more easily handled by magic than Psi.

I suppose you could use:
-Ecto-plasm to create a chakram "limb" connected by a vapor of ecto-plasm to a solid stage, but it's not going to do much damage as solid ecto-plasm w/o a physical object
-TK to manipulate an actual physical object
-as a strict hand-held melee weapon it could be done with Psi-Sword if they can control the shape, but you couldn't throw it.
-allow WP: Sharpshooting (or was it WP: Trick shooting) to apply to Mind Bolt (and/or TK:AA) to pull of the ricochet shots
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

You should check the Psionics Netbook. There are some super psionic powers people contributed that might be close to something you're looking for. Maybe Psi-Dart will work?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I think tk accelerated attack with a an armor peircing grenade is close to what you're looking for, but range is still an issue...though it wouldn't be if it actually went that fast...

if you want to make something up, give the power same activation time, half duration and damage of psi-sword, but with double cost and give it a range of 500ft+50ft/lvl.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Let's look at TK Acceleration.

Right now, the two options are:
10 ISP for 2d4x10 SDC, a range of 20-80 SDC (average of 50), or .2-.8 MD. (average of .5)
20 ISP for 3d6+4 MD, or a range of 700-2200 SDC, or a range of 7-22 MD (average of 14.5).

That's too much power too cheaply to really take that kind of increase as a precedent, so let's just look at the mega-damage portion.

3d6+4 MD for 20 ISP.

If we double the ISP, and double the damage, how does that look?
6d6+8 MD for 40 ISP.

It puts the Mind Bolt to complete shame... but then again, damage-wise, so does TK Acceleration to begin with.

If we cut down on the damage slightly, and increase the cost a bit, we could come up with:
1d4x10 MD for 50 ISP

Which is still some unprecedented damage for psionics. Mind Bolt couldn't do that kind of damage for less than 200 ISP. Super TK can't do that kind of damage for less than 100 ISP and a 1k object to chuck.
So it's still obviously unbalanced.

Of course, the range would still be 50'+10'/level. That compensates a bit... but even still, a Psi-Sword costs 30 ISP for only 4d6 MD at third level, and that's got an even shorter range.
You'd have to more or less double the damage of a psi-sword to reach the 1d4x10 range, so that would cost 60 ISP for 8d6 MD. That'd be 8-48 MD, which is a bit low on the low-end, and a bit high on the high-end... but as I mentioned the range is shorter.

It might be approaching reason to make a home-brew version of the TKA power that did 1d4x10 MD for 60 ISP, with a range of 50'+10'/level.

If you wanted more range, then it'd cost a lot more, if you're interested in keeping any semblance of balance.
100 ISP for a range of 100'+20'/level, for example.

All in all, I'm curious why you're looking for this kind of power, and who you'd use it for?
It would be the psionic equivalent of a Spell of Legend, being more powerful than the Super Psionic powers already are.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

there's nothing really balanced about psionics anyway, though. the damage might even be irrelevant, it's range that's the issue, I think.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Alrik Vas wrote:there's nothing really balanced about psionics anyway, though. the damage might even be irrelevant, it's range that's the issue, I think.

Range is an issue for most Psi powers, and only a few actually get any decent range due to level (I'm talking about the general powers, not those reserved for specific race/class as I haven't reviewed any of them). There are two ways to boost the Psychic range though: Ley Line Influence and Astral Projection on the material plane (step out of the body for Mach1 flight to bring one w/n range of the other powers) by the book/rules w/o resorting to house rules/modifications.
Library Ogre

Alrik Vas wrote:I think tk accelerated attack with a an armor peircing grenade is close to what you're looking for, but range is still an issue...though it wouldn't be if it actually went that fast...

At that point, set the timer on the grenade for 5 seconds and use Teleport Object.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Alrik Vas
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:At that point, set the timer on the grenade for 5 seconds and use Teleport Object.

I was thinking you could make it a HEAP penetrator with the velocity. :P

Library Ogre

Alrik Vas wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:At that point, set the timer on the grenade for 5 seconds and use Teleport Object.

Chances are, you're not carrying grenades that can do that.

All Palladium Articles
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Let's look at TK Acceleration.

Right now, the two options are:
10 ISP for 2d4x10 SDC, a range of 20-80 SDC (average of 50), or .2-.8 MD. (average of .5)
20 ISP for 3d6+4 MD, or a range of 700-2200 SDC, or a range of 7-22 MD (average of 14.5).

That's too much power too cheaply to really take that kind of increase as a precedent, so let's just look at the mega-damage portion.

3d6+4 MD for 20 ISP.

If we double the ISP, and double the damage, how does that look?
6d6+8 MD for 40 ISP.

It puts the Mind Bolt to complete shame... but then again, damage-wise, so does TK Acceleration to begin with.

If we cut down on the damage slightly, and increase the cost a bit, we could come up with:
1d4x10 MD for 50 ISP

Which is still some unprecedented damage for psionics. Mind Bolt couldn't do that kind of damage for less than 200 ISP. Super TK can't do that kind of damage for less than 100 ISP and a 1k object to chuck.
So it's still obviously unbalanced.

Of course, the range would still be 50'+10'/level. That compensates a bit... but even still, a Psi-Sword costs 30 ISP for only 4d6 MD at third level, and that's got an even shorter range.
You'd have to more or less double the damage of a psi-sword to reach the 1d4x10 range, so that would cost 60 ISP for 8d6 MD. That'd be 8-48 MD, which is a bit low on the low-end, and a bit high on the high-end... but as I mentioned the range is shorter.

It might be approaching reason to make a home-brew version of the TKA power that did 1d4x10 MD for 60 ISP, with a range of 50'+10'/level.

If you wanted more range, then it'd cost a lot more, if you're interested in keeping any semblance of balance.
100 ISP for a range of 100'+20'/level, for example.

All in all, I'm curious why you're looking for this kind of power, and who you'd use it for?
It would be the psionic equivalent of a Spell of Legend, being more powerful than the Super Psionic powers already are.

For another data point, we might consider the super psionic Pyrokinesis, which includes a 6D6 MD Fire Ball for 25 ISP.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

True. I was excluding energy-based damage.
Although the psi-sword and mind bolt are the the weird "kinda energy" grey area.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Alrik Vas
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:

Chances are, you're not carrying grenades that can do that.

well, that's why you buy them and leave nothing to chance. I don't like improvised weapons with psionics. make a plan and make things happen. Though I understand what you're saying.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”