Brodkil PC

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

J_Danger
D-Bee

Brodkil PC

Unread post by J_Danger »

I'm trying to make a Brodkil character and I noticed the bonuses they list and also noticed boxing and wrestling as part of the RCC's skills. Do I add the bonuses to these skills? Or are they already factored in? And any tips on the amount of cybernetics I could get on the guy? Do they get Russian Shocktrooper equivalent cybernetics, because their body can take it, or should they just be fudged as supernatural strength?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Brodkil PC

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The skills are already factored in. also no, brodkil can only get partial conversion, which cannot get robotic level strength. they are are useful only as platforms for built-in bionic weapons. do note that brodkil are tall enough to use the giant-sized vibro weapons. built in 3d6 vibro claws is actually better than their supernatural strength damage.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
J_Danger
D-Bee

Unread post by J_Danger »

Even if you had an MDC spine? I would imagine that's the reason why you wouldn't allow anything but the full conversion human, but this guy has a frame that supports a supernatural strength of 35 at max roll. I'm just making a tool arm that could be used to breach spaceships (given enough time), but the fact that he couldn't have a cyber arm even remotely close to his natural arms sounds very counterintuitive.

After looking more closely through the Revised Sourcebook One, I noticed the following:

"Bionics: Most want partial reconstruction, never full conversion. The most common types of bionic features include one or two arms, occasionally an extra limb, forearm blasters, Vibro-Blades, retractable clawslblades and other "weapons." Bionic eyes and implants are also acceptable.
Implants are usually of the augmenting variety like the language translator, gyro-compass, climb cord, built-in radio, amplified hearing and cosmetic features to make the Brodkil look strong and frightening. Note: Because the Brodkil have no supernatural, psionic, or magic powers, they can benefit from bionic weapons and implants without ill effect other than losing the ability to turn invisible."

That got me thinking, so I looked in WB30 DBee's. Almost every race has a listing for "Cybernetics and Bionics" instead of "Bionics". Iktek Diggers even specify that if they are the few non-tribal that use such things, cybernetics are far more common than bionics.

Skimming through the Bionics sourcebook and looking at the Partial Cyborg listing:
"Maxed out at 20 because the human frame cannot tolerate the strain and there would be painful complications."

So there's not a cannon way to hand out cybernetics to tough organisms like the Brodkil. But I think there's enough there to let them get weapons grade bionics, with a higher PS cap. They still use the augmented strength table and do poopy damage, but I'll see if I can't petition my GM for Russian equivalent, ie: robotic strength. It is a Phase World game after all, and the Cyberai get a Robotic PS of 50!

Sorry to ask, then disagree with the only person who responded, but it seemed counter-intuitive (in a world with magic, psionics, demons, cybernetics, and MegaDamage) and got me thinking about where to look.

Edit: Also, if these jokers roll a 3 on 2d6, they have a supernatural PS of 26, which does 3d6MD on a normal punch. So 3d6 isn't an improvement, unless you like shiny slashy things.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I just go with them only getting implants that would actually improve their ability, or let their SN PS override the cyber strength.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

J_Danger wrote:Even if you had an MDC spine? I would imagine that's the reason why you wouldn't allow anything but the full conversion human, but this guy has a frame that supports a supernatural strength of 35 at max roll. I'm just making a tool arm that could be used to breach spaceships (given enough time), but the fact that he couldn't have a cyber arm even remotely close to his natural arms sounds very counterintuitive.

After looking more closely through the Revised Sourcebook One, I noticed the following:

"Bionics: Most want partial reconstruction, never full conversion. The most common types of bionic features include one or two arms, occasionally an extra limb, forearm blasters, Vibro-Blades, retractable clawslblades and other "weapons." Bionic eyes and implants are also acceptable.
Implants are usually of the augmenting variety like the language translator, gyro-compass, climb cord, built-in radio, amplified hearing and cosmetic features to make the Brodkil look strong and frightening. Note: Because the Brodkil have no supernatural, psionic, or magic powers, they can benefit from bionic weapons and implants without ill effect other than losing the ability to turn invisible."

That got me thinking, so I looked in WB30 DBee's. Almost every race has a listing for "Cybernetics and Bionics" instead of "Bionics". Iktek Diggers even specify that if they are the few non-tribal that use such things, cybernetics are far more common than bionics.

Skimming through the Bionics sourcebook and looking at the Partial Cyborg listing:
"Maxed out at 20 because the human frame cannot tolerate the strain and there would be painful complications."

So there's not a cannon way to hand out cybernetics to tough organisms like the Brodkil. But I think there's enough there to let them get weapons grade bionics, with a higher PS cap. They still use the augmented strength table and do poopy damage, but I'll see if I can't petition my GM for Russian equivalent, ie: robotic strength. It is a Phase World game after all, and the Cyberai get a Robotic PS of 50!

Sorry to ask, then disagree with the only person who responded, but it seemed counter-intuitive (in a world with magic, psionics, demons, cybernetics, and MegaDamage) and got me thinking about where to look.

Edit: Also, if these jokers roll a 3 on 2d6, they have a supernatural PS of 26, which does 3d6MD on a normal punch. So 3d6 isn't an improvement, unless you like shiny slashy things.

I don't think you actually disagreed with me. I said they couldn't get robotic PS bionics and what you found showed I was right. I never said you couldn't jack up augmented to 50, although it would be hard for them to find someone able to give them one that high. presumably they are both expensive and rare.

Also, you are correct that some brodkil can have higher than 3d6 hand to hand damage naturally, but the actual combat section says the average brodkil is only 2d6 MD on a full strength punch. The rolls provided are for player characters, and are marketedly higher, presumably because any PC brodkil would be well above average.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Looking through Triax 2, General Rasheen has one bionic limb with a robotic strength of 30. So I say why not. I see no problem Brodkil having bionic limbs with robot strength.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

AzathothXy wrote:Looking through Triax 2, General Rasheen has one bionic limb with a robotic strength of 30. So I say why not. I see no problem Brodkil having bionic limbs with robot strength.

Palladium NPC's violate PC character creation rules so frequently it's not much of an example of anything other than "The GM can do whatever he wants".

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The skills are already factored in.

Whipping out NGR since I know it has Brodkil in the back, I notice a glaring lack of bonuses to roll with impact, which both boxing and wrestling provide, leading me to judge that no, the skill bonuses have not been incorporated and that they stack with the bonuses we are told they get.

Now wondering what the latest publication of Brodkil is, prob in D-bees World Book?

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Palladium NPC's violate PC character creation rules
Exceptions to what we expect in NPCs are not rules violations, it just means unknown perhaps unpublished rules have also been applied to the NPC :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:

Whipping out NGR since I know it has Brodkil in the back, I notice a glaring lack of bonuses to roll with impact, which both boxing and wrestling provide, leading me to judge that no, the skill bonuses have not been incorporated and that they stack with the bonuses we are told they get.

Now wondering what the latest publication of Brodkil is, prob in D-bees World Book?

Exceptions to what we expect in NPCs are not rules violations, it just means unknown perhaps unpublished rules have also been applied to the NPC :)

Or the author just wrote stats down for NPC's without considering rules, let alone by refering to a big book of unpublished rules.

Good catch on the boxing though.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tor wrote:

Or the author just wrote stats down for NPC's without considering rules, let alone by refering to a big book of unpublished rules.

Good catch on the boxing though.

The unpublished rule though could simply be "NPCs can use unique exceptions that are not available to any PC under any circumstance."
Poof, now both theories are correct.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”