Energy weapons vs supernatual questions.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

Energy weapons vs supernatual questions.

Unread post by Shadowdragon7 »

I am trying to figure out what energy weapons do work well against many different supernatural npc's. What energy weapons are good for killing many supernatural mobs?
I know flamethrowers are good for oni, and I know water guns are good for vampires. What energy weapons are good against demons and the four horsemen? And can you guys and gals give other good energy weapons vs supernatural advice?

My friend is creating a campaign where we are mercenary's uniting the gods of light to fight evil gods plus the four hosemen, and we'll also go to Calgary rift to fight.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Energy weapons vs supernatual questions.

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i also favour particle beams. plasma means you have to work around fire resistance, ion sometimes is blocked by electric resistance (often depends on GM and/or specific monster), but particle beams and lasers both are only blocked by a full on immunity to energy attacks. and of the two, particle beams tend to do damage faster. lasers tend to have more range and a bit better efficiency, but i find that if you can take advantage of, say, a 1600 foot range on a particle beam, that's enough already. no need to up that to a 2200 foot laser rifle range.

having said that, there are some specific weapons that sway my opinions elsewhere... for example, the heavy juicer laser rifle is pretty ridiculous, and also quite easy to use even for non-augmented humans. if you can get your hands on one, that thing is pretty beastly.

having said all of that, if you're looking for a weapon that can deal damage to almost anything, you should actually be looking for some kind of projectile weapon. energy immunity isn't necessarily common, but when it's a spell that many magic users can cast, it's not exactly rare, either. not to mention that a projectile weapon can easily fire wooden, silver, cold iron, etc slugs as needed. obviously, ammo is a concern, but if you're looking for something that consistently hurts stuff, imo that's your best bet. as a rule, i find that the various shotguns in the game tend to outperform most other options if you're looking for a weapon that's useful against anything and everything (ie something that can fire silver, wood, etc). if special materials is not a concern (or if you don't mind just carrying around a conventional pistol as a sidearm to cover any need for that sort of thing), then the triax pump rifles are some of the best easily portable projectile weapons.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Phase blasters or partucle beam. For hard ammo DUC rounds.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think at least half of the 4 horsemen know "impervious to energy" so energy weapons aren't the best tactic.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I don't think anything is labeled as immune to phase weapons save maybe the Prometheans, it even specifically mentions damage to vampires.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I consider phase weapons. Psionics.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Yes if you have access to them Phase weapons are a good option as they hurt pretty much darn near everything. If you don't have access to them, I would agree that particle beams are a good energy beam.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I don't even consider phase powers to be psionics, much less the weapons.

Using ISP doesn't mean it's psychic :D
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Shadowdragon7 wrote:I am trying to figure out what energy weapons do work well against many different supernatural npc's. What energy weapons are good for killing many supernatural mobs?
I know flamethrowers are good for oni, and I know water guns are good for vampires. What energy weapons are good against demons and the four horsemen? And can you guys and gals give other good energy weapons vs supernatural advice?

My friend is creating a campaign where we are mercenary's uniting the gods of light to fight evil gods plus the four hosemen, and we'll also go to Calgary rift to fight.

If you can get them (and they aren't effectively booby-trapped) the ultimate in energy weapons is reflex weapons, such as the syncro-cannon etc.

I don't care what "resistance" you have, when the gun says damage: "absolutely destroys EVERYTHING in its line of fire which is a path (insert description) (syncro cannon 50' circle 2 miles long...." I don't care if you are "impervious to energy" you still are dead, or missing big chunks of you that got in the way of that beam.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

guardiandashi wrote:
Shadowdragon7 wrote:I am trying to figure out what energy weapons do work well against many different supernatural npc's. What energy weapons are good for killing many supernatural mobs?

If you can get them (and they aren't effectively booby-trapped) the ultimate in energy weapons is reflex weapons, such as the syncro-cannon etc.

I don't care what "resistance" you have, when the gun says damage: "absolutely destroys EVERYTHING in its line of fire which is a path (insert description) (syncro cannon 50' circle 2 miles long...." I don't care if you are "impervious to energy" you still are dead, or missing big chunks of you that got in the way of that beam.

Yeah, not everyone thinks a statement made in a universe that doesn't take into account things like magic and the ability of things to be immune to things like energy can really be treated as the final say on things since again it doesn't come from the position of considering such things since they didn't exist there to need to say anything about it. Just like you don't bother listing a silver limitation on werewolves in an RPG setting where you can't get silver on that planet even though they're vulnerable to it since it won't come into play. It doesn't mean they aren't still vulnerable and don't have to worry about silver on a world where silver exists it just wasn't considered something to worry about ever happening when their vulnerabilities were listed.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

guardiandashi wrote:

Destroys everything vs. Invulnerable to energy or a vampire invulnerability is the same issue as an irresistible force meeting an immovable object.

A vampire is completely unaffected by a synchro cannon. It is only affected by phase weapons because it specifically says so. The canon of the cannons shows that reflex cannon do not in fact destroy ANYTHING in its path as planets still remain... Which means the Death Stars superlaser is more powerful then all of the main cannons of the entire Zentraedi fleet and any reflex cannons.

Reflex and strategic nukes do NOTHING to vampires.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Zer0 Kay wrote:I don't think anything is labeled as immune to phase weapons save maybe the Prometheans, it even specifically mentions damage to vampires.

Actually, Prometheans are vulnerable to phase weapons, not immune.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Crow Splat
Explorer

Unread post by Crow Splat »

If you want man portable awesome, Vallax Force Rifle. 1d6x10 MD to anything, regardless of immunity..

The only downside is that to get one you either have to get the Vallax to give you one, let them turn you into a zombie, or steal one and not have it blow up when you try to work it.

If you want a more practical solution, rail guns can fire specialized rounds IIRC and they have a TW version that shoots wooden stakes.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

guardiandashi wrote:I don't care what "resistance" you have, when the gun says damage: "absolutely destroys EVERYTHING in its line of fire which is a path (insert description) (syncro cannon 50' circle 2 miles long...." I don't care if you are "impervious to energy" you still are dead, or missing big chunks of you that got in the way of that beam.

A weapon like this would certainly overwhelm a mere 'resistance' (like some powers in HU which halve damage you take, or absorb the first 30 points, etc).

However a complete immunity is not a resistance, it doesn't work at all.

This means that a reflex cannon would not harm someone with ItE unless there was non-energy components to the attack. I admit I am not totally familiar with the mechanics of it.

Vampires would naturally also be immune, I assume, unless there was some rule about protoculture counting as a magical attack I am unfamiliar with.

That said... with giant doomsday weapons there are probably a lot of secondary considerations about weapon effects that people could possibly develope rules for.

Like for example... if a vampire was hiding in a forest and a reflex cannon was shot at it, while the energy itself would not harm the vampire, in the process of vaping the forest, the earth might begin to cave in and send trees on the outer boundary of the crater flying about and 1 might coincidentally impale the vampire.

Or a beaver dam might be destroyed and send a flood in the vampire's direction.

Crow Splat wrote:you either have to get the Vallax to give you one, let them turn you into a zombie, or steal one and not have it blow up when you try to work it.

Or just be a Mind Melter and kidnap one of the above who can use the weapon and carry them around and possess them whenever you want to use it.

Might work with HU guys with the major Transferal, or in the case of Phoenix Juicers, since they are corpses, with a Necromancer who uses that spell that lets them possess corpses or puppets.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Tor wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:I don't care what "resistance" you have, when the gun says damage: "absolutely destroys EVERYTHING in its line of fire which is a path (insert description) (syncro cannon 50' circle 2 miles long...." I don't care if you are "impervious to energy" you still are dead, or missing big chunks of you that got in the way of that beam.

A weapon like this would certainly overwhelm a mere 'resistance' (like some powers in HU which halve damage you take, or absorb the first 30 points, etc).

This means that a reflex cannon would not harm someone with ItE unless there was non-energy components to the attack. I admit I am not totally familiar with the mechanics of it.

Vampires would naturally also be immune, I assume, unless there was some rule about protoculture counting as a magical attack I am unfamiliar with.

That said... with giant doomsday weapons there are probably a lot of secondary considerations about weapon effects that people could possibly develope rules for.

Like for example... if a vampire was hiding in a forest and a reflex cannon was shot at it, while the energy itself would not harm the vampire, in the process of vaping the forest, the earth might begin to cave in and send trees on the outer boundary of the crater flying about and 1 might coincidentally impale the vampire.

Crow Splat wrote:you either have to get the Vallax to give you one, let them turn you into a zombie, or steal one and not have it blow up when you try to work it.

Or just be a Mind Melter and kidnap one of the above who can use the weapon and carry them around and possess them whenever you want to use it.

Might work with HU guys with the major Transferal, or in the case of Phoenix Juicers, since they are corpses, with a Necromancer who uses that spell that lets them possess corpses or puppets.

to be honest with the reflex beam weapons, at least in MY games, they ignore impervious to energy, because technically the beam doesn't attack the target. what it actually does is attacks the space that the beam affects, so mr vampire who may be impervious to energy is ripped apart at a sub atomic level (or transported somewhere else) because the reflex effect is basically to rip a hole in the fabric of space and put it back together. or in other words its basically a non controlled fold out with no attempt at a "safe" fold in and with no destination coordinates set.

I admit I am kind of evil that way though.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Light Exoskeletons and Russian Rail Guns.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

guardiandashi wrote:
Tor wrote:

to be honest with the reflex beam weapons, at least in MY games, they ignore impervious to energy, because technically the beam doesn't attack the target. what it actually does is attacks the space that the beam affects, so mr vampire who may be impervious to energy is ripped apart at a sub atomic level (or transported somewhere else) because the reflex effect is basically to rip a hole in the fabric of space and put it back together. or in other words its basically a non controlled fold out with no attempt at a "safe" fold in and with no destination coordinates set.

I'm not sure how you think that doesn't constitute attacking the target, but it still shouldn't be hurting the vampire or other creatures with such immunities to damage.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Creative explanation on how it can have a physical space-tearing component. But Night is right, vamps aren't hurt by that stuff either.

Better get an Inquisitor piloting your SDF
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

guardiandashi wrote:
Tor wrote:

No it doesn't. It is clear in the anime that it is a beam of directed energy producing a force which is evident by the ablation of materials which can be seen here.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDxYYHBDZE
There is no evidence of dimensional shift or subatomic dismemberment/incomplete teleportation.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:
Tor wrote:

I'm not sure how you think that doesn't constitute attacking the target, but it still shouldn't be hurting the vampire or other creatures with such immunities to damage.

If the damage was via teleportation it would work for the same reason that phase weapons work, cuz they essentially do the same thing. But reflex cannons don't do that, as you can see in my link in the previous post.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:I don't think anything is labeled as immune to phase weapons save maybe the Prometheans, it even specifically mentions damage to vampires.

Actually, Prometheans are vulnerable to phase weapons, not immune.

Thank you, that would be part of the "think," I wasn't sure... So nothing except force fields can stop them and nothing is immune.

Unless something was unable to be teleported/dimensionally shifted.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightfactory wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Reflex and strategic nukes do NOTHING to vampires.

BUT, surprisingly, the youtube vid, FOAR EVERWUN FRUM BOXXY does 2D4x10 HP to vampires per second. Who knew??? :D

I'm not sure if I should think that was hilarious or if I should hate you for showing that to me. However, I understand why that would cause damage to a fictional vampire cuz it just caused me damage straight to hit points.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:

BUT, surprisingly, the youtube vid, FOAR EVERWUN FRUM BOXXY does 2D4x10 HP to vampires per second. Who knew??? :D

I'm not sure if I should think that was hilarious or if I should hate you for showing that to me. However, I understand why that would cause damage to a fictional vampire cuz it just caused me damage straight to hit points.

haven't checked the link, but i'm guessing that only beings immune to SAN point damage would be protected :P
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

rat_bastard wrote:Light Exoskeletons and Russian Rail Guns.

Excellent answer.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:

haven't checked the link, but i'm guessing that only beings immune to SAN point damage would be protected :P

Yup.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dang and I was looking for something that would deal with the face's... Face!

Return to “Rifts®”