Existing fiction that would make good dimension books

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Existing fiction that would make good dimension books

Unread post by Tor »

This isn't a call out for conversions, but rather, an idea for brain-storming via name-dropping any series which people think would mesh good with Rifts by presenting it as sort of a Wormwood-style dimension book (or dimension book series, if a franchise has multiple worlds).

I think if something is promising, it might be looked into if the license could be got cheaply enough to make it feasible if there were a writer willing to flesh out the universe. Some stuff that comes to mind:

*Adventure Time
*Di-Gata Defenders
*He-Man+She-Ra
*Steven Universe
*Thundercats

What I'm thinking is stuff that has the kind of magic/tech that we come to expect from Rifts. Anything that didn't fit that mold would be possible but more as a palladium sourcebook in general and not a "Rifts" dimension book specifically.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Existing fiction that would make good dimension books

Unread post by say652 »

I kinda want an Olympia vs Asgard series. To powerful selfish Pantheons fighting to the death (of some) over a cheating husband a vengeful wife a doped up goddess and of course a stolen artifact.
Like watching General Hospital with madukes back in the day. Wow now I need beer and icecream.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Outlaw Star.. you have magic users in the Castergun's and Pirates, as well as advanced technology weapons, robots, and starships. this would also include parts of the Angel Links companion show.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Outlaw Star.. you have magic users in the Castergun's and Pirates, as well as advanced technology weapons, robots, and starships. this would also include parts of the Angel Links companion show.

Casterguns are pure TW, and the Kei Pirates come across as N&SS Mystic China-empowered martial artists. :ok:
Plus you get to combine starship piloting AND giant robot combat with Grappler-ships.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The world of Vlad Taltos (Stephen Brust's creation).

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Silvananthus
D-Bee

Unread post by Silvananthus »

The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers - one of the first Anime style cartoons produced in the USA. I loved it as a kid. I thought it would probably be a good fit for Rifts Dimension Book or stand alone product.

If you look carefully Most of the really cool children's cartoons where originally produced in the 80's or early 90's. That is not to say that some of the reboots aren't better than the originals.
Silvananthus
D-Bee

Unread post by Silvananthus »

Blackstar was an early 80's cartoon predecessor to He-Man that could be pretty cool as an intellectual property for development.
taalismn
Priest

Orguss 02(though I gotta confess, I once already did a write-up of the latter).
Rather short and mediocre anime series involving the fall-out from a previous Rifts-style dimensional transposition of several different worlds, but it had potential for other shennanigans involving d-bees.
As one of Studio Nu's less-loved stepchildren, it should qualify for the 'cheap' requirement, but as much of the design was done by Noboru Ishiguro of Macross fame, licensing any of his stuff to an American RPG company already involved in a controversial adaptation is asking for possible grudge-refusal-by-association.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Silvananthus wrote:Blackstar was an early 80's cartoon predecessor to He-Man that could be pretty cool as an intellectual property for development.

LOVED the art design of that series. It fits as either dimension book or add-on for Phaseworld / Tri-Galactic.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

taalismn wrote:Orguss 02(though I gotta confess, I once already did a write-up of the latter).
Rather short and mediocre anime series involving the fall-out from a previous Rifts-style dimensional transposition of several different worlds, but it had potential for other shennanigans involving d-bees.
As one of Studio Nu's less-loved stepchildren, it should qualify for the 'cheap' requirement, but as much of the design was done by Noboru Ishiguro of Macross fame, licensing any of his stuff to an American RPG company already involved in a controversial adaptation is asking for possible grudge-refusal-by-association.

the first Orguss would also be a good one.. you have pre-event human mecha from two different factions (even if the Bronco is the only one that didn't look stupid), plus several factions of post-event mecha using groups. plus the dimensional mashup setting lets you exploit other palladium lines for material as a GM.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Silvananthus wrote:If you look carefully Most of the really cool children's cartoons where originally produced in the 80's or early 90's. That is not to say that some of the reboots aren't better than the originals.

The New Adventures of Flash Gordon or simply 'Flash Gordon'(1979) qualifies as a 'cool' Worldbook-suitable world IMHO, with the added prestige of pure Golden Age Flash Gordon action(although that removes the 'cheap licensing' from the equation). Cut the 'cutsey' and dumbed-down second season from the description, and you got a very good basis for world-building(although I still like the live action Max Von Sydow-endowed later movie with the various kingdoms of Mongo being captured moons, rather than surface territories).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the first Orguss would also be a good one.. you have pre-event human mecha from two different factions (even if the Bronco is the only one that didn't look stupid), plus several factions of post-event mecha using groups. plus the dimensional mashup setting lets you exploit other palladium lines for material as a GM.

I always thought ending a space campaign with a space/time oscillation bomb would be fun.
taalismn
Priest

Jerell wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the first Orguss would also be a good one.. you have pre-event human mecha from two different factions (even if the Bronco is the only one that didn't look stupid), plus several factions of post-event mecha using groups. plus the dimensional mashup setting lets you exploit other palladium lines for material as a GM.

I always thought ending a space campaign with a space/time oscillation bomb would be fun.

Especially if you give it a stupid codename like "CHOCOLATE PARFAIT MONSTER". :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

While not a book I think something inspired by pirates of darkwater would be rather awesome. A water world having its surface devoured by black sludge like monster stuff. Only magic relics can save the world.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Elements from Regular Show.

I use the Royal Park in the Main City on a planet as the home base for the group, and there's a Borg named Major Benson that is their supervisor. I did it on a whim, on the fly when I wasn't planning on running the adventure that day, but it's been really fun so far.

The newer Thundercats would work well.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I thought Regular Show was just about some giant blue-jay, maybe I should watch more of it...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Centurions would have made a neat HU adaptation.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

the "main chars of regular show" are the giant blue jay, and the raccoon thing (I think its a raccoon)
there is a char who is a walking gumball, a ghost, an Orc (sort of) and I want to say a gumball machine person
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Walking gum machine sounds like an Adventure Time connection. Let the speculation begin.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Tor wrote:I thought Regular Show was just about some giant blue-jay, maybe I should watch more of it...

Some episodes are good, some are kind of meh. It's not as consistently good as Adventure Time. And actually the Gumball machines make me think of Tom Servo from MST3K.

Also, it's more about the Blue Jay and Raccoon's adventures while working (or as often attempting to avoid said work) in the park. Crazy stuff, lot's of 80s references and dimensional rifting is not uncommon for Regular Show.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Code Lyoko could be a fun book. I know my niece and nephew enjoyed the mini-campaign I ran that was inspired by the series.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Considering the computer fighting/hacking rules in the rifter are canon, that could be done :) Digimon's also digital, as is the Persona series. Many anime, so long as BESM hasn't touched them, are open to incorporation if Palladium will seduce them.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Yukikaze... nuff said. ;)
Oh and 'Vampire Hunter D' particularly the era shown in 'Blood Lust'

Leaves of the lotus rise

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Psh, 80s movie was way more Rifts, even had space-warping mutants.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Samurai Jack

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Samurai Jack was good. And I had totally forgotten about it until you just mentioned it. Samurai slicing up robots is just good.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

How is it that nobody has mention the wizard of Oz?

Or did I miss it?

-flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Well we do have the wicked Slugorth of the East that sends out flying Monkeys already... :D And Archie, ignore that computer behind the curtain!
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Jerell wrote:Samurai Jack was good. And I had totally forgotten about it until you just mentioned it. Samurai slicing up robots is just good.

R.I.P. Mako :cry: ... You WERE Aku till the very end.

Leaves of the lotus rise

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Soooo that asgard vs olympia pantheon WAR.............
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

DhAkael wrote:
Jerell wrote:Samurai Jack was good. And I had totally forgotten about it until you just mentioned it. Samurai slicing up robots is just good.

R.I.P. Mako :cry: ... You WERE Aku till the very end.

also Iroh..

if i though palladium could handle it rules wise, i'd suggest Avatar last Airbender.. but i don't think palladium's magic/psionic/martial arts rules are suitably fluid and flexible enough to handle Bending...

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It easy. You just make warlock elemental spells into chi powers in martial arts, granting them at certain levels. That's the quick/dirty of it.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Or just keep them warlocks and add in a spiffy japanese style hand to hand.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

flatline wrote:How is it that nobody has mention the wizard of Oz?
TBH when I think of Oz I just think of that old 40s/50s movie and it seems like a boring setting.

When I remember the content of subsequent books which were adapted into the anime Oz no Mahou (I've only seen the dub though, I don't think the original JapAudio has ever been subtitled) I see your point, it had some interesting tech.

That and Wonderland.

say652 wrote:Or just keep them warlocks and add in a spiffy japanese style hand to hand.
I don't think we should discuss what Bending would be since it bridges on conversions, but due to the Elemental link (and many spells making elemental fragments) I'd think it more the psionic-based route, which would explain why it's racially inherited and not teachable to anybody.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I used an Earth and Fire walock with the Japanese ninjutsu hand to hand. The gm let me sacrifice skills to learn body hardening (but not arts of stealth?) Was pretty badass but his pack of skills to me made the character eh. Any who.

Thunder Cats. Voltron. The movie Dredd. Any steampunk. And SHREK.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If Shrek gets in then Once Upon a Time.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I watched rise of the guardians today. Adding a vote FOR 5th element and 300
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Almost anything from Futurama. In fact I even tried making a Futurama campaign.

If its books-only, perhaps the Naked God Trilogy. But that would be hard to role-play for one small group.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Oh man... just remembered... the entire world of Nosgoth from the Legacy of Kain series.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Any fiction that the whole group likes. No seriously trying to list the 'would make good world fiction' is easy just get a list of all fictional worlds. Great there you go.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Cowboy bebop
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Ooh... more anime needed...

Asura Cryin.
taalismn
Priest

Just for the obscuro factor:

Neal Asher's Polity series; no magic, but a variety of cyber-augmented humans, transhumans, and A.Is of various flavors. Enigmatic and dangerous ancient alien artifacts.
If set during the Prador Wars, you have a perfect built-in alien enemy; the damn-near unkillable nasty human-eating and enslaving Prador whose society has them killing off most of their own kids before they can kill their parents.
Set later in the series, you also get the damn-near unkillable Hoopers...humans infested with a virus that makes them darned near unkillable and immortal, but also ties them to anti-viral medicines, or else they turn into carnivorous alien leeches.
There's also a cult of animated techno-zombies/liches; people who refuse to give up their old dead flesh, even though there are more comfortable ways of continuing to exist.
Though the favorite RCC I imagine would be playing a Polity combat drone, that tend to be heavily armed and decidedly snarky.

All that and anti-matter weaponry too!

It's like an earlier and nastier version of Iain Banks' Culture.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:Any fiction that the whole group likes. No seriously trying to list the 'would make good world fiction' is easy just get a list of all fictional worlds. Great there you go.

Well I imagine the question is based on getting ideas from others particularly since many good works are surprisingly unknown (say from being published before someone else started reading).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Ah, with Yamato we could also pull in Harlock/Millenia/Galaxy Express and stuff. I can never remember how much of the Leijiverse is in the same continuity.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Babylon 5, The Honorverse (David Webber), 3X3 eye, Blood of Heroes, The Dark Tower series (Stephan King), The Stainless Steel Rat series (Harry Harrison), Hammers Slammers series (David Drake), Bolo series [the Annals of the Dinochrome Brigade](Keith Laumer), and The Mote in God's Eye (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) should make a good start.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
taalismn
Priest

SpiritInterface wrote:Babylon 5, The Honorverse (David Webber), 3X3 eye, Blood of Heroes, The Dark Tower series (Stephan King), The Stainless Steel Rat series (Harry Harrison), Hammers Slammers series (David Drake), Bolo series [the Annals of the Dinochrome Brigade](Keith Laumer), and The Mote in God's Eye (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) should make a good start.

Honorverse is better suited for spacebattles of the big, grueling, epic scale, unless you're vastly overkill-missile-spamming your opponents. Of course, you can always play Peep or Manticore Marines, or play at being part of the Audobon Ballroom in the secret war against the Mesan Alignment, where it can get downright close and personal.

Likewise, the Bolo universe, anything NOT a giant sentient tank tends to get overshadowed by the same big massive sentient tanks. Also there's the issue that most people seeking that experience already gravitate towards the original Steve Jackson OGRE tabletop game, and the GURPS OGRE RPG(where infantry actually amount to something more than crunchiness under the treads), which has notes on adapting OGRES to other settings(including steampunk and deep space).

Stainless Steel Rat would have to be played hard and loose; the universe itself isn't particularly detailed beyond the planet/population-of-interesting-schmucks-to-be-fleeced, since it's all backstaging to Slippery Jim DeGriz's antics. And how many Slippery Jims can a universe handle?

Playing in Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle's Mote universe....well, that covers a LOT of ground and possibilities, from the earliest days of the CoDominium(enforced technology limits, involuntary deportations and forced colonization, and the rise of private mercenary companies), the post WW3 rise of the Empire of Man, the Sauron War, followed by the dark ages and the rise of the next Empire. Lot of bloodshed and adventure possible there. Ultimately, of course, it all ends up with the contact with the Moties, and the ray of light at the end(sure, you can always play what would happen if a rogue Master tried to escape the Worm and start their own colony, but it's generally assumed that the nascent Empire of Man and Motie gets a MASSIVE kick in the pants ushering in a renewed age of prosperity).

What one really wants to look for in a playable RPG universe is what other possibilities are there aside from the known storyline? Is the background as intriguing as the characters shoved into the foreground? And can there be potentially world-changing events outside of the known storyline? Or is everything of interest and consequence locked into the known storyline, so much so that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to shorehorn in anything/anybody else?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Star F.I.S.T. and Demon Tech universes have a lot of potential.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

taalismn wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:Babylon 5, The Honorverse (David Webber), 3X3 eye, Blood of Heroes, The Dark Tower series (Stephan King), The Stainless Steel Rat series (Harry Harrison), Hammers Slammers series (David Drake), Bolo series [the Annals of the Dinochrome Brigade](Keith Laumer), and The Mote in God's Eye (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) should make a good start.

Honorverse is better suited for spacebattles of the big, grueling, epic scale, unless you're vastly overkill-missile-spamming your opponents. Of course, you can always play Peep or Manticore Marines, or play at being part of the Audobon Ballroom in the secret war against the Mesan Alignment, where it can get downright close and personal.

I agree for the most part but the conflicts between the Kreegor and the other empires lead to that kind of battles. it also allows for smaller single ship adventures such anti piracy, or other peace keeping operations. I was thinking more of the Audobon Ballroom and also the Mesan shadow war on Earth.

How ever maybe the Kris Longknife/Jump Universe (Mike Shepherd) would have been a better choice.

Likewise, the Bolo universe, anything NOT a giant sentient tank tends to get overshadowed by the same big massive sentient tanks. Also there's the issue that most people seeking that experience already gravitate towards the original Steve Jackson OGRE tabletop game, and the GURPS OGRE RPG(where infantry actually amount to something more than crunchiness under the treads), which has notes on adapting OGRES to other settings(including steampunk and deep space).

True but as has been pointed out in a previous post having a sane, honorable, and supportive AIs would be so nice.

Stainless Steel Rat would have to be played hard and loose; the universe itself isn't particularly detailed beyond the planet/population-of-interesting-schmucks-to-be-fleeced, since it's all backstaging to Slippery Jim DeGriz's antics. And how many Slippery Jims can a universe handle?

But it would be so much fun...

Playing in Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle's Mote universe....well, that covers a LOT of ground and possibilities, from the earliest days of the CoDominium(enforced technology limits, involuntary deportations and forced colonization, and the rise of private mercenary companies), the post WW3 rise of the Empire of Man, the Sauron War, followed by the dark ages and the rise of the next Empire. Lot of bloodshed and adventure possible there. Ultimately, of course, it all ends up with the contact with the Moties, and the ray of light at the end(sure, you can always play what would happen if a rogue Master tried to escape the Worm and start their own colony, but it's generally assumed that the nascent Empire of Man and Motie gets a MASSIVE kick in the pants ushering in a renewed age of prosperity).

What one really wants to look for in a playable RPG universe is what other possibilities are there aside from the known storyline? Is the background as intriguing as the characters shoved into the foreground? And can there be potentially world-changing events outside of the known storyline? Or is everything of interest and consequence locked into the known storyline, so much so that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to shorehorn in anything/anybody else?

Fortunately I have been gaming with a group that can take almost any setting and expand it. However you make a valid point that I admit I didn't think of.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Soo that Olympia vs Asgard pantheon war.....

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”