Magic weapons in rifts

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

WOOTEN
D-Bee

Magic weapons in rifts

Unread post by WOOTEN »

Ok SO I have been running rifts for a long time and never really had any dedicated magic users till recently. I have had a couple of techno wizards, and tattoo men, but not mystics and the like... While I have used normal magic weapons (not rune, or other special) in the past I have never been asked "where are the rules for making my own?" It actually left me at a stump... So I ask you all... where are the rules to make basic magic weapons?
Last edited by WOOTEN on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Magic weapons in rifts

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Look up Alchemists in Palladium Fantasy RPG. You can make weapons using their rules and convert them as per Coversion Book 1. That setting seems to be where the "magic weapons" come from in Rifts. Other than that, just make up something you think is fair, honestly.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
WOOTEN
D-Bee

Unread post by WOOTEN »

I figured as much... just thought I would ask. guess its time to buy some new books.... Thanks for the help
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Aside from Techno-Wizards making their versions, there's also a level 15 Invocation spell in the Rifts: Book of Magic that can make melee weapons into magic weapons.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
WOOTEN
D-Bee

Unread post by WOOTEN »

Must have missed it... I will recheck, thanks for the help!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Also, Splynn Dimensional Market, they can take regular weapons and make them MDC/Magical damage.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
WOOTEN
D-Bee

Unread post by WOOTEN »

Thanks for the help everybody, I just need some rule clarification... In the "Enchant Weapon (minor)" spell it states that it can only be performed four times a year. Is that for when a caster makes a weapon permanent, or anytime they use the spell?

Thanks for the heads up with the Splynn dimensional market, I will look into that.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I think it's making it permanent.

Also, in the mystic russia book, there's the Mystic Kuanza PC class which has the ability to make certain kinds of magic weapons and armor.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

WOOTEN wrote:Thanks for the help everybody, I just need some rule clarification... In the "Enchant Weapon (minor)" spell it states that it can only be performed four times a year. Is that for when a caster makes a weapon permanent, or anytime they use the spell?

That limitation is easily worked around as long as the GM doesn't rule against things that are technically correct but probably not what the author intended. Create scrolls of "Enchant Weapon (minor)" with enough PPE to make the weapon permanently enchanted. Then give it to someone else to read (someone who, presumably, doesn't care what happens to their PPE base). This works because the spell description doesn't actually say "(Ritual)" after the name (like Circle of Travel or Summon Lesser Being) which means it's available as an incantation and is therefore a valid spell for making scrolls. The mage can make as many scrolls as he has PPE and time for, but no particular assistant can read more than 4 such scrolls a year and the GM may rule that they can no longer read the scrolls once their PPE base is reduced to zero (or whatever level the GM specifies).

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:
WOOTEN wrote:Thanks for the help everybody, I just need some rule clarification... In the "Enchant Weapon (minor)" spell it states that it can only be performed four times a year. Is that for when a caster makes a weapon permanent, or anytime they use the spell?

That limitation is easily worked around as long as the GM doesn't rule against things that are technically correct but probably not what the author intended. Create scrolls of "Enchant Weapon (minor)" with enough PPE to make the weapon permanently enchanted. Then give it to someone else to read (someone who, presumably, doesn't care what happens to their PPE base). This works because the spell description doesn't actually say "(Ritual)" after the name (like Circle of Travel or Summon Lesser Being) which means it's available as an incantation and is therefore a valid spell for making scrolls. The mage can make as many scrolls as he has PPE and time for, but no particular assistant can read more than 4 such scrolls a year and the GM may rule that they can no longer read the scrolls once their PPE base is reduced to zero (or whatever level the GM specifies).

--flatline

I would personally respectfully disagree. The spell description clearly states 'this ritual...' which I would think means it is a ritual, and thus ineligible for scrolling. I would also say that the description seems to me to indicate the spell itself can only be cast four times per year.
If your looking to mass produce magic weapons your going to have to probably import the spells from the Nightbane base book.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

eliakon wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

I would personally respectfully disagree. The spell description clearly states 'this ritual...' which I would think means it is a ritual, and thus ineligible for scrolling. I would also say that the description seems to me to indicate the spell itself can only be cast four times per year.
If your looking to mass produce magic weapons your going to have to probably import the spells from the Nightbane base book.

Repeatedly through out the description of the spell it refers to it as a ritual.
I would have to agree it is a ritual only spell (as are many spells level 11 and higher).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
eliakon wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Repeatedly through out the description of the spell it refers to it as a ritual.
I would have to agree it is a ritual only spell (as are many spells level 11 and higher).

I don't disagree, but technically speaking, it is not designated as a "ritual only" spell. There is a convention for that that is clearly established (appending "(Ritual)" after the spell name) and the conventional designation is missing.

--flatline

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
eliakon wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

I don't disagree, but technically speaking, it is not designated as a "ritual only" spell. There is a convention for that that is clearly established (appending "(Ritual)" after the spell name) and the conventional designation is missing.

--flatline

--flatline

A convention (like so many other conventions in PB products) that is inconsistently applied.
But I get your point.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
WOOTEN
D-Bee

Unread post by WOOTEN »

Yeah, this is all for the long term goals of a player. She wants to gear here mistic in the direction of of magic item making. And I do like the idea of only being able to make so many magic items a year. Just don't like the idea of it destroying her PPE base..

Also, I couldn't find where in the Splynn market you could have SDC weapons magically enchanted to hit for MDC. Can you give me a page number Alrik?
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

WOOTEN wrote:Yeah, this is all for the long term goals of a player. She wants to gear here mistic in the direction of of magic item making. And I do like the idea of only being able to make so many magic items a year. Just don't like the idea of it destroying her PPE base..

Also, I couldn't find where in the Splynn market you could have SDC weapons magically enchanted to hit for MDC. Can you give me a page number Alrik?

He is talking about the Mega-Blade attachment on page 172.
WOOTEN
D-Bee

Unread post by WOOTEN »

Exactly where I didnt look... I read every thing else in that book... hahahahaha... thanks...
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

flatline wrote:technically speaking, it is not designated as a "ritual only" spell. There is a convention for that that is clearly established (appending "(Ritual)" after the spell name) and the conventional designation is missing.

Magic doesn't have to have (ritual) in parenthesis next to the name to be ritual-only. That's merely a convenience. If it's only described as a ritual then it can only be a ritual.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Maybe the one month duration version is a spell, though a 400 PPE spell... smacks of ritual.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Western empire in PF has many more enchants you can add to items.
Also if you want some more ideas, I love the living rune weapons from the rifter. I could see a normal item having one or two of some of those abilities.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Comment on the L15 spell Enchant Weapon (Minor)
~The minor in the name says to me that the spell makes what is called a "MInor Magic Weapon" not then the spell is a minor/lesser version of a greater spell. Due to the minor enchantments it gives.

~The fist two words of the spell's text are "This ritual..."
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed May 07, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I dunno, there might be a Major version of Enchant Weapon out there not printed yet :)

If we look at Doppleganger, its minor version is something like level 14 in the Rifter's official update for that jungle PF book (up from I think level 9 or so in the original PRPG?) whereas the greater year-long version in CB1 and PF2nd is a spell of legend.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”