Please keep your machetes SHARP people!

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Please keep your machetes SHARP people!

Unread post by Thinyser »

http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/6155/cut ... s-trinidad

Video above shows the difference between a sharp machete with a good technique and a sharpish one with a less good technique (very poor technique for zombie killing though). Sorry but you have to wait til the very end for the sharp & good technique demonstration.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Please keep your machetes SHARP people!

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Yeah, you gotta love machetes! :D But seriously - let's take a look at a Hollywood anti-zombie machete in action shall we...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72YaMl2Mxy8

Spoiler:
Gerry did this because in World War Z people become zombies when they are infected due to exposure via a viral agent. The Israeli soldier was exposed via injury to the arm, which is why Gerry amputated the arm. :eek:
whassupman03
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Speaking of Machetes, anyone watch that new series Remedy?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

According to the various characters in The Walking Dead, I don't ever have to worry about sharpening my blades, EVER.

Why, Michonne has gone through at least three seasons of chopping off zombie heads and slicing through skull and bone without sharpening her samurai sword even once as far as I can tell, and it still works just as fine as the day it was first forged!!

Infinite Ammo Pistol From The Action Movies of the Seventies, meet the Ever-Sharp Bladed Weapon of the new millennium!!!

:roll:
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

cornholioprime wrote:According to the various characters in The Walking Dead, I don't ever have to worry about sharpening my blades, EVER.

Why, Michonne has gone through at least three seasons of chopping off zombie heads and slicing through skull and bone without sharpening her samurai sword even once as far as I can tell, and it still works just as fine as the day it was first forged!!

Infinite Ammo Pistol From The Action Movies of the Seventies, meet the Ever-Sharp Bladed Weapon of the new millennium!!!

Its a rune weapon
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Thinyser wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:According to the various characters in The Walking Dead, I don't ever have to worry about sharpening my blades, EVER.

Its a rune weapon
Heh.

That must also mean that Daryl has been using Rune Arrows for a long time now; he seems to have been using the exact same six or seven arrowheads since the show started!!!

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

cornholioprime wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Its a rune weapon
Heh.

That must also mean that Daryl has been using Rune Arrows for a long time now; he seems to have been using the exact same six or seven arrowheads since the show started!!!
Yep must be. ;)
I don't get too hung up on not seeing what they do in the time we aren't watching them. For all we know Michonne hones her blade every day and Daryl has been replacing broken blades /sharpening them as needed but its not interesting nor further the story so they don't show it.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

By this logic, the vast majority of the TWD cast can go weeks without defecating or urinating.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Tor wrote:

By this logic, the vast majority of the TWD cast can go weeks without defecating or urinating.
I'm engaging in a bit of humorous hyperbole, of course....but only a little.

In real life, not only would the characters' blades as shown (NOT actual weapons like swords) be badly damaged after only a few strikes -especially into the skull or the vertebra -but it's actually a hell of a lot harder to stab people in the head than they make it seem (obviously, I'm talking about the near-infinite number of times in this series that they stab the zombies in the head through the incredibly strong cranium, not the times they stab them in the eyes or under the chin or in the temple).

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

cornholioprime wrote:
Tor wrote:

In real life, not only would the characters' blades as shown (NOT actual weapons like swords) be badly damaged after only a few strikes -especially into the skull or the vertebra -but it's actually a hell of a lot harder to stab people in the head than they make it seem (obviously, I'm talking about the near-infinite number of times in this series that they stab the zombies in the head through the incredibly strong cranium, not the times they stab them in the eyes or under the chin or in the temple).

True that. Heads are hard and dense bone even if not very thick, and the spherical shape also helps to distribute point loads.

My Grandfather was in WWII and he said that one of the things he would never forget was watching his buddy take a Jap pistol round to the forehead (blood spraying out the rear corner of his head), but continue his charge as the Jap tried to unjam or reload and then bayonet the Jap in the throat. Turns out the round was probably light on powder and hit at a slight angle, it struck bone then must have skidded off, it traveled under the skin and exited about 2 inches behind his left ear where the skull turns from the side to the back. He said to look at it you would have thought the bullet passed clean through his brain since the entrance wound was right above his left eye and the exit was way at the back.

That was my cool story bro

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Thinyser wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Tor wrote:

True that. Heads are hard and dense bone even if not very thick, and the spherical shape also helps to distribute point loads.

My Grandfather was in WWII and he said that one of the things he would never forget was watching his buddy take a Jap pistol round to the forehead (blood spraying out the rear corner of his head), but continue his charge as the Jap tried to unjam or reload and then bayonet the Jap in the throat. Turns out the round was probably light on powder and hit at a slight angle, it struck bone then must have skidded off, it traveled under the skin and exited about 2 inches behind his left ear where the skull turns from the side to the back. He said to look at it you would have thought the bullet passed clean through his brain since the entrance wound was right above his left eye and the exit was way at the back.

That was my cool story bro

Now that's hard-core! :mrgreen: Having an American soldier charge towards an enemy soldier with a bayonet is one thing, but if the enemy soldier shoots him in the head and the American keeps charging, he's got another thing coming (Yeah - I said it for the benefit of Bill Cosby fans worldwide...). :lol:

In terms of The Walking Dead though, one of the things you gotta love about Hollywood is that no matter how realistic they try to make things work (Zombie apocalypses excluded... :wink:), the sheer cinematic nature of the shows will completely overrule everything real about it. :-D But if you want to really see a set of shows that have completely broken the bank in terms of inconsistencies, take a look at Star Trek. They've reused, retconned, reneged and rescinded just about everything in their shows, and if you want the proof, take a look at this link to Ex Astris Scientia at http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm. Anyway, I think you'll really be surprised (With apologies to Trekkies worldwide... :-(). Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

doubly so given that Katana are pretty tricky to sharpen.. you need special materials and technique compared to european swords and bladed tools.

http://www.nihonzashi.com/SharpenGuide.htm
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

We won't have to worry about the damage that vertebrae or skulls will inflict to swords in Dead Reign though, because nobody intelligent is going to use their swords for that anyway.

The ideal tactic is to immobilize a zombie by dismembering all 4 limbs and THEN worry about making those annoying natural-roll-only shots on the head and neck.

Essentially you get all the high-damage weapons and their awesome strike bonuses primed for the dismembering, and leave the crushing of the heads or chopping of the necks to unskilled people who can rush in later and do the mundane work after the threat is neutralized.
Deckard1973
D-Bee

Unread post by Deckard1973 »

To the OP,
I have a wood stove. Like no, kidding, wood stove for heat. I have some 40 cords of seasoned hard wood. Sometimes I run out of small scrap wood to get a new fire going when I need too (usually need to get up once during the night to stoke the fire coals and add 3 or 4 more logs).
So, I use a Ontario Knives SPAX to split wood in the basement. It has gotten rather dull. If any of you have seen a SPAX, a typical Lansky knife sharpening system will not work.
So I got a Lansky "Puck."
Yeah, after about an hour of work, I accidentally took off about 3mm of the end of my thumb, it was that sharp.
Hurt like a SOB! Like getting a paper cut but worse!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

BTW about the bone damage to machetes in walking dead... I thought part of the reason was 'bodies are rotting, got softer' or something.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Tor wrote:BTW about the bone damage to machetes in walking dead... I thought part of the reason was 'bodies are rotting, got softer' or something.
Bone matter would arguably get harder as the decaying process goes on, because they are drying out (for example, the marrow is normally soft and spongy).

Centuries later, those bones would likely be able to be crushed between the fingertips, but for now...

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Does it still dry out if they're running around in the rain, wading through marshes, getting all soggy and bloated and stuff?

Return to “Dead Reign™”