detecting telepathy and empathy

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

madmarvin
D-Bee

detecting telepathy and empathy

Unread post by madmarvin »

what are the rules for knowing if someone is using telepathy or empathy on you?
what about the telepathy superior and empathy superior from rifter. 25

do they need to be looking at you? , or in line of sight?

from what I have read there is no way of knowing unless they give some sign like answering a thought. but for some one at a distance reading your mind. as long as your in range you are a valid target.
opinions?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: detecting telepathy and empathy

Unread post by Tor »

My copy of HU mentions you get a save vs empathy but nothing about detecting it. Telepathy only gets a save if you suspect it's happening and try to resist. This might differ in other books. Mind-Block Auto-Defense would be the ideal warning system because you would presumably know when your mind blocks goes up that someone is trying something on you. Though not necessary who is trying it, or what specifically they were trying.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Tor wrote:My copy of HU mentions you get a save vs empathy but nothing about detecting it. Telepathy only gets a save if you suspect it's happening and try to resist. This might differ in other books. Mind-Block Auto-Defense would be the ideal warning system because you would presumably know when your mind blocks goes up that someone is trying something on you. Though not necessary who is trying it, or what specifically they were trying.

That and a 6th sense if the intent was to some how cause harm. Detect Psionics and the Mind block powers depending on your GM may be triggered together as well.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Rimmerdal
Knight

madmarvin wrote:what are the rules for knowing if someone is using telepathy or empathy on you?
what about the telepathy superior and empathy superior from rifter. 25

do they need to be looking at you? , or in line of sight?

from what I have read there is no way of knowing unless they give some sign like answering a thought. but for some one at a distance reading your mind. as long as your in range you are a valid target.
opinions?

A target should be in line of site or you know where they are via camera or something so long as there in range. Troy did that all the time. the other option is remote viewing then telepathy.

I'd say blind telepathy such as targeting a person at a certain seat with out seeing could target the wrong person and end up reading the wrong mind.
taalismn wrote:

madmarvin
D-Bee

Unread post by madmarvin »

so a telepath has quite a advantage especially for surface thoughts.
Rimmerdal
Knight

relicandcheese wrote:My GM ruled that a fellow psychic will sense the intrusion attempt, but a non-psychic would be oblivious.

Line of sight is imperative. I don't believe a camera monitor would work, although I'm not sure if the canon dictates as such.

Niether do I. But as GM I'm looking at the possibility a trekkie fan goes.."But Troy did it all the time.." personally I'd say a Super might work via monitor but not a a minor. If I did allow.
taalismn wrote:

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”