Doc Brown & his Delorean??

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

magictiger
Explorer

Doc Brown & his Delorean??

Unread post by magictiger »

Hi Guys,
Im actually going to use the hardware section of heroes unlimited for Doc Brown. But I need some info on time travel? If its possible to make his time machine? I seem to remember there was a book for TMNT, transdimensional....something? I don't have the book or what time travel rules were like. A friend had a copy but misplaced it. Any help would be grateful. Thanks guys,
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Doc Brown & his Delorean??

Unread post by Nightmask »

The book in question is Trandimensional TMNT and yes it is possible for someone to install a time machine into a vehicle although given how time travel is set up in the setting you can't travel to any point in space/time but only in certain skips (although a GM is always free to ignore that).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Yes, Transdimensional TMNT is the book you're looking for, on using Time Travel & Temporal Magic for AtB. You should find it, it's a great read.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

first, you should be wary of mentioning using palladium material to replicate another Intellectual Property.. it can be real easy to slide into discussion of outright 'conversion', which will get the thread locked.

and Trans Dimensional Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the book you want for time travel rules and building time machines. however, i will point out that by the rules in that book, you cannot put a time machine into a Sports car, which is the catagory the Delorean is in (the book actually provides stats for said type of vehicle) since you can fit them into smaller and larger vehicles, i suspect that restriction was done to avoid people being able to build a certain time traveling delorean in game. however if you want to allow time machines to be added to sports cars, as the Gm you can overrule the book. you just need to decide the cost of the modification.

as far as time travel rules work.. TDTMNT does not allow for you to go anywhere in time. you can't pick a specific year, day, or hour.
imagine the timeline as a spiral. you can't move along the spiral in either direction.. but you can jump the gap between the lines. so from a point in our time, you could jump to say, a few hundred years back, like the civil war. or to ancient greece. or to a few points in the time of the dinosaurs. and so on. you can go back or forward 50, 100, 1000, a million years, etc.. but you can't go back or forward anything less, or go to times between those points. not 51 or 49 years, for example. nor can you pick specific times you land. you'll basically arrive at the same hour, day, and month as the date you left, only the year will be different.

also, the flow of time is always forward. if you go back to the time of the dinosaurs, and spend 3 hours there, coming back to our time you'll find 3 hours have passed here. if you spend another 3 hours, then go back to the time of the dinosaurs again, you'll find that 6 hours will have passed since you left it. you can never return to the same time period before you left it.

you can still play around a bit with cause and effect, using things like letters left in storage or encountering particularly long lived people several times*, but you'll never have to worry about running into yourself in a previous adventure. :)
*actually, in some of the sample adventure/plothooks in the book, the characters encounter a certain NPC in several different time periods.. he just lives a long time, and each time period he is different as a result of how he lives so long.. depending on the order in which you meet him, you might encounter his "far future" self first and be met with vague comments about previous encounters that hadn't happened yet.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Transdimensional TMNT also has rules (Dated) For making Dino mutants. Yes. You can make a mutant Trex if you want. :ok:

You'd need to giggle the numbers a bit to make them more or less match up with BIO-E standards for the ATB2 book, but still the options and what not are fun.

I don't really 'love' the way Palladium takes on time travel. That said it's original and for that, fun. Change or adapt the rules as you need. :)

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

glitterboy2098 wrote:as far as time travel rules work.. TDTMNT does not allow for you to go anywhere in time. you can't pick a specific year, day, or hour.
imagine the timeline as a spiral. you can't move along the spiral in either direction.. but you can jump the gap between the lines. so from a point in our time, you could jump to say, a few hundred years back, like the civil war. or to ancient greece. or to a few points in the time of the dinosaurs. and so on. you can go back or forward 50, 100, 1000, a million years, etc.. but you can't go back or forward anything less, or go to times between those points. not 51 or 49 years
Of worthy mention is the MTTTL device (number 2 on page 89, right column) which allows for 7/49/57/89 increments instead of 125, which is useful. Plus it says it's "random" so other increments could be possible. They're trickier to navigate than the normal twists though, since they're twists within twists.

glitterboy2098 wrote:you can never return to the same time period before you left it.
Not totally true... if I went back 7 years in a micro-twist and stayed there 7 years, I could live my way back to my base period.

Not to mention if you have a Temporal Wizard from Rifts on hand to aid a Time Lord, their Fast Forward magic works on a different basis (shorter jumps, but more control over how long) the TL could make the initial jump back and then the weaker TW could use their magic to narrow in on an exact preferred moment.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”